RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-11-2019, 02:13 PM   #1

Generator and Other Problems on my Tiffin 43QRP

we drove it to alaska last year the gen wouldn't work for more than 2 min. then shut down . a total of 1500.00 in service at 4 different places for ohnan . service techs all had different ides on what the problem was every on wanted to take it out for bench test so finally said yes cost was to be 800.00 for test when they went to take it out they found an in line filter up by the fuel tank .lucky the tech was nice and told me what he had found and only charged me 200 and replace the lines .is this a tiffin add on from the factory or a add on by a owner .my coach was bought and repossessed a few time before i got it. had it fixed in ca. so had it for the way home . so much stuff is missing and and broken like the wheels on the shower door under the floor in storage area there is a bunch of hdmi wires taped together and the dvd and surround sound with sub and all the wires .dont get me wrong i love my bus just wish it was stock

pyronh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2019, 02:25 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
So, is the generator running well now?

Did you have them replace the fan belt when it was out of your Rig?

My generator is about same age. It gave me some fits when I bought it last year, but now it is running great.

There are error codes that are provided when it shuts itself down. Watch a youtube video to see how to read the error codes and look up on line what the fault code is.

pete5016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 02:40 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
You didn't specify the year but Tiffin used to install a pre filter in the line between the fuel tank and the generator. They stopped doing that several years ago. Sorry you had some incompetent techs that couldn't find it the first four times.
'12 Jeep JK Wrangler Sport or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 03:38 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
You didn't specify the year but Tiffin used to install a pre filter in the line between the fuel tank and the generator. They stopped doing that several years ago. Sorry you had some incompetent techs that couldn't find it the first four times.
Yes, as i undersrand there was a problem with fuel tanks, hence adding the inline filter. Cummins generator reps at Tiffin rally have spoken to this.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 07:59 AM   #5

hi thanks for the reply's .gen is running good ,they never took it out so belt was not changed . it is a 2008 43qrp the code it gave was for general service so fuel filter oil and air filter were done . no one knew there was an inline filter
Old 07-12-2019, 08:11 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyronh1 View Post
hi thanks for the reply's .gen is running good ,they never took it out so belt was not changed . it is a 2008 43qrp the code it gave was for general service so fuel filter oil and air filter were done . no one knew there was an inline filter
Next time you have a serious service, replace the belt in your generator. I just had mine replaced, it was very expensive. It was a $10 belt, but took 5 hours to disassemble and reassemble to get to it. The Belt on my unit had never been replaced and was a ticking time bomb.

Be sure to post if you have any further issues. I had to replace the Control Board on my 2008. The unit would shut off after running 20-30 minutes in warm weather. The control board is expensive, but is a five minute replacement (very easy).

The normal maintenance is easy on these units, so there is no excuse on the oil, oil filter, fuel filter and air filter.
pete5016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 09:15 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
I have a 2007 QSP bus and had the same filter issue. Had intermittent running, Cumins dealer service tech puller unit out and changed/rebuilt governor and charged me $2100. Got bus back home and same issue with intermittent running. Took it back to service center, then they found the extra fuel filter. $10 filter and now it's good to go!
Lanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 07:57 AM   #8

do ya think ohnan could put out a notice for there thechs to check the inline filter first . mine is gone now they just replaced the lines do not know if i need it or not .gen run real good now
Old 07-13-2019, 08:59 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyronh1 View Post
do ya think ohnan could put out a notice for there thechs to check the inline filter first . mine is gone now they just replaced the lines do not know if i need it or not .gen run real good now
The in line filter is not an Onan thing but something Tiffin added in early years as a pre-filter. Almost every one is just bypassing the filter with lines like your tech did. The filter inside the generator is enough unless you get some really bad fuel or algae growth.

'12 Jeep JK Wrangler Sport or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ems, generator, problem, problems, tiffin