Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-23-2013, 06:45 PM   #1

Generator problems

My 2007 phaeton gen. with 1500 hrs. is shutting off randomly! I have figured this much,it shuts off because it runs out of fuel. I have changed the fuel filter and fuel pump.today,I installed all new batteries( because they are 7yrs old) when it shuts down I have to prime the engine like I do when I change fuel filter.it then starts and runs till it runs out of fuel.(15 min.to 3hrs.)I need ideas!!! I think my next move will be to unhook the fuel feed and put a new hose into a 5gal. can! Anyone have an idea?
Bignote is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2013, 06:58 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Welcome to iRV2.

Not sure what genny engine you have. But it sounds like a fuel pump if it is running out of fuel after you prime it. Give us some more details. How full is your tank? The genny fuel pick up is shorter than the one for the engine to keep you from accidentally running out of fuel entire using the genny.

What engine do you have in your genny?

Dave
Old 11-24-2013, 03:50 AM   #3

It's most likely an Onan QD7500 or larger. When it shuts down it will set a diagnostic code that can be retrieved by the stop/start button either out on the genset front panel or (in certain cases) from the stop/start remote button inside the coach. You mention you know it's running out of fuel.. did you determine this by reading the trouble code the unit has set?
Old 11-24-2013, 05:11 PM   #4

When you said you changed the fuel filter, do you mean one that's mounted on the genny? Some installs also had an in-line filter on the fuel line loop just aft of the generator. To see it on some rigs, you need to pull the generator partially our and get under the rig. Look into the space just aft of the generator.

If you've already looked at that one, are you aware that the generator fuel pickup in the fuel tank is higher than the engine pickup? This was done to be sure you wouldn't strand yourself by running the fuel tank dry with the generator. If you've been seeing the problems with the tank at 1/4 or less, that might be the problem. If not, the idea of sticking a supply hose into a fuel supply is a good idea. I'd be sure the the fuel line is in good shape, without cracks or any air leakage where it is fastened.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 07:59 PM   #5

My old gen was doing the same thing.... I changed everything you did! It was low oil level!
jriley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 07:00 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Mine had a dry-rotted fuel pick-up line [at the 6 year old mark] that looked good to the naked eye; but was actually cracked bad enough to let air inside. 6-7 year old coach might need replacing yours [to be on the safe side down-the-road]. Rubber doesn't last forever; some rot quicker than others.
62Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 09:54 AM   #7

on our 07 phaeton it was the inline fuel filter up on the frame rail behind the genny. Been in there for six years ; still had the original undercoating on it. Same symptoms and ran like a champ after the change.
Old 11-26-2013, 06:20 PM   #8

SUCESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I found the inline filter aft of gen. I replpaced and good to go! I also took a hacksaw to the old one and found a lot of junk in there!!! I'm so glad to be past this as I just installed new batteries and am now ready for Daytona!!!! GO JR.
Old 11-26-2013, 06:38 PM   #9

I have a new question for all you folks out there. Since new, my gen. Has always run only 12 hrs. At a time. Give or take ten min. It will shut down. The code says misc. err. All I have to do is start it up and I'm good for 12 more! If I want to I can shut it off at ant time and start back up and go 12 more hrs.almost like it has a timer. It's a 7500 hdakj . I can live with this but would love to understand why it does this.any thoughts????
Old 11-26-2013, 07:08 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bignote View Post
I have a new question for all you folks out there. Since new, my gen. Has always run only 12 hrs. At a time. Give or take ten min. It will shut down. The code says misc. err. All I have to do is start it up and I'm good for 12 more! If I want to I can shut it off at ant time and start back up and go 12 more hrs.almost like it has a timer. It's a 7500 hdakj . I can live with this but would love to understand why it does this.any thoughts????
The 12 hour shut-off feature is a safety feature. For those who leave their coach in storage and leave the AGS on in case of power failure, or maybe left on accidentally, it allows the genset to come on, charge and shut itself off instead of continuing to run until out of fuel.
Would be a bummer to return in the spring only to find that batteries are dead and fuel is at 1/4 of a tank or a little less...
My 2 cents..
Jeff
La-Z-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 07:11 PM   #11

By the way...
I remember when I had my Phaeton, when we would dry camp at a ball game or such, I would always kill and restart just before bedtime to get the fresh12 hours.
Not much fun waking up in the middle of the night to restart and take a chance on waking everyone in the coach..
Jus sayin...
Jeff
Old 11-27-2013, 03:13 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by La-Z-Boy View Post
By the way... I remember when I had my Phaeton, when we would dry camp at a ball game or such, I would always kill and restart just before bedtime to get the fresh12 hours. Not much fun waking up in the middle of the night to restart and take a chance on waking everyone in the coach.. Jus sayin... Jeff
i have met plent of people who's gens. Will run forever if needed. Why does mine shut down after 12 hrs? Is it a tiffin thing? Can I change it?
Old 11-27-2013, 03:32 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bignote View Post
i have met plent of people who's gens. Will run forever if needed. Why does mine shut down after 12 hrs? Is it a tiffin thing? Can I change it?
I know for a fact that it is a Tiffin thing.
They are set up that way from the beginning.
Maybe other mfg.'s have it as well, but not all.
For example, the coach that I have now, has a generator that will run as long as there is enough fuel... No cutoff. Could I change the setting? I don't know, I've never really thought of it since we use the coach and generator year round for different trips.
It never gets put up for storage for more than a couple if weeks at a time.
You might check with the tiffin RV network or call red bay to see if there is a setting that can be changed... (Maybe on the inverter) I don't know
Jeff
Old 11-27-2013, 09:20 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by La-Z-Boy View Post
I know for a fact that it is a Tiffin thing. They are set up that way from the beginning. Maybe other mfg.'s have it as well, but not all. For example, the coach that I have now, has a generator that will run as long as there is enough fuel... No cutoff. Could I change the setting? I don't know, I've never really thought of it since we use the coach and generator year round for different trips. It never gets put up for storage for more than a couple if weeks at a time. You might check with the tiffin RV network or call red bay to see if there is a setting that can be changed... (Maybe on the inverter) I don't know Jeff
. I suspect you are correct in your thinking of the inverter. I'll tell you something I remember the salesman telling me back in 2007 when I took delivery of my coach. He said don't go by the control panel that operates your gen/ inverter, your coach does not have ags.at the time I thought it odd but was caught up in the thought of my new motorhome ,!!!! I guess I should all tiffin and find out about the 12hr. Thing! Thanks to all and I enjoy this new spot to relate! Will be a regular!!

Tags
generator