RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-30-2014, 05:47 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Genie in a Phaeton QBH

Has anyone had any experience installing a Direct TV Genie in their coach? When I had mine installed the dealer said that they needed some special part for the front TV to be able to put the DVR in the front and the mini Genie in the rear bedroom. Any information any of you have would be greatly appreciated.

pkschaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2014, 06:31 AM   #2
WiFiRanger Ambassador

Official iRV2 Sponsor

For the miniGenie in the rear you can use either the wired C41 or the wireless C41W. If you choose to go wireless you will need the Wireless Video Bridge to feed signals to the mini. The DirecTV wireless system does NOT use the wifi built into the HR44 Genie, but, instead, sets up a separate system between the Bridge and the miniGenie client.

The Bridge can be installed by using an SWM-approved splitter in the coax going to the Genie.

If you decide to use a wired miniGenie you will need an RG6 coax going to the back of the MH from an SWM splitter somewhere in the front. The existing coax that supplies your bedroom TV is unlikely to work because there are probably conventional splitters installed on it in various locations in the coach.

docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 07:49 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Your profile says that you have a 2014 Phaeton. If that is correct then all of the equipment can be installed in the bedroom A/V cabinet. Each TV in the coach is supplied by a CAT6 system which transmits HDMI from the bedroom splitters throughout the coach.

A Winegard Trav'ler SWM antenna (if you want HD on DirecTV) would have it's control cable and antenna lead dropped into the bedroom cabinet. Your Genie and second tuner would reside in that cabinet as well.

If you want specific information on how to do all of this in your Phaeton, come over to the tiffinrvnetwork.com for some additional help.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 07:19 AM   #4

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Overland Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post
Your profile says that you have a 2014 Phaeton. If that is correct then all of the equipment can be installed in the bedroom A/V cabinet. Each TV in the coach is supplied by a CAT6 system which transmits HDMI from the bedroom splitters throughout the coach.

A Winegard Trav'ler SWM antenna (if you want HD on DirecTV) would have it's control cable and antenna lead dropped into the bedroom cabinet. Your Genie and second tuner would reside in that cabinet as well.

If you want specific information on how to do all of this in your Phaeton, come over to the tiffinrvnetwork.com for some additional help.
Good to know. That is almost too convenient. Are you sure that is really a Recreational Vehicle? Seems too good to be true.
Owners of: www.tvformyrv.com
TVforMyRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 11:12 AM   #5

We had Directv with Genie installed in our Phaeton with no problem. As mentioned, all wiring is in the BR cabinet. I then tried to have Directv added to my home, but would have had to have 2 accounts (2 bills,etc). If you want directv at home, do it first then add addtl equipment to the MH. However, you can't have two genies, but that's really not an issue in the MH because we never record more than 1 show at a time. It sounds complicated, but I opened a 2nd account (home) with my DW's phone number, closed the MH account and now all is good. Directv was very helpful, but it does take some patience to find the right people who will help.
Old 06-03-2014, 11:20 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachCruiser View Post
We had Directv with Genie installed in our Phaeton with no problem. As mentioned, all wiring is in the BR cabinet. I then tried to have Directv added to my home, but would have had to have 2 accounts (2 bills,etc). If you want directv at home, do it first then add addtl equipment to the MH. However, you can't have two genies, but that's really not an issue in the MH because we never record more than 1 show at a time. It sounds complicated, but I opened a 2nd account (home) with my DW's phone number, closed the MH account and now all is good. Directv was very helpful, but it does take some patience to find the right people who will help.
Direct TV not letting you have two genies is the reason why I went with Dish. I like a lot of things about the Dish recievers better but I had two Hoppers ( dish equivalent of genie) in my Home and they would not let me do the same thing with genies.

Just for info if the OP has not locked themselves into direct. Dish allows me to have a hopper and auxiliary unit for the hopper in my MH with no additional cost other than the standard per receiver fee. Direct Tv will let you have local channels and HD in your MH but you have to pay for a separate account if you are driving in an area other than your stick home account. Dish will let you call from wherever you are at and have them use that address for local channels with no fee. ( This will disrupt any programming you have at your stick home account if you have local channel recording.) I think directtv has a better product in many ways but Dish seems to be more RV friendly to me.

gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote