Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-02-2011, 03:16 PM   #1

Getting ready to take delivery - questions

I am getting ready to pick up my new 2012 Allegro Red on Saturday and have a few quick questions.

1. The dealer brought up the Ryron Tire Blowout Protection - Thoughts and comments?

2. Another sales rep at the dealer brought up Safe T Plus steering stabalizers for the coach. The dealer does not sell or install them but he stated that it makes the coach drive absolutely straight and that there will be much less wavering while driving on the highway and passing or being passed by trucks. Does anyone have this on their coach and would your recommend this?

3. I am looking at a full cover to protect the coach while not in use. Does anyone have recommendations?

4. I am not sure about a CB. Should I or should I not?

5. I am looking at the hydralift so I can bring along my Goldwing. Does anyone have experience with this?

Yes, I know...lots of questions. I would appreciate any feedback.
rcarriere is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2011, 03:50 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Personally I would not get the cover- it'l scratch your rig and is a pain to install/remove. Just keep the rig washed and waxed...I know, easier said than done.
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 04:06 PM   #3

Puttin,

Thank you for your response. I know that it will be a pain to put on and off but if I can find one with great padding on the inside will this eliminate the scratches? I live in FL and I know that I will not be out there waxing it enough to stop the fading.
Old 11-02-2011, 05:10 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you mean blow out protection (which you probably do not) will prevent a blow out then fine---otherwise it would depend on cost and what it provides. We had something like that and when I needed a slow leak fixed it was more trouble to make a claim than it was to just pay for it---but a blow out---new tire?

CB--I have one only because my coach had the aerial and I hate stuff sticking up there and not being used. Some people use them for what is going on up ahead by talking to truckers etc. Range has some limitations, hearing the thing for me has some limitations and there are a lot more good ways to stay in touch---but I have one---not sure how to turn it on. The are not costly and another gadget---some people swear by them. I you will be traveling with others that have them then probably very handy. Almost every thread on the subject remarks about "colorful" language used by truckers.

Cover: I cover mine and have since new.I am glad I cover my rig really looks nice after almost nine years. I also wax once per year.

Lots of people do not like them, and if I were the type that was going to use my rig on and off a lot then I would probably resent the work. But I am seasonal---we go for five months then store it and use it seldom until we go again. I can get mine off and on by myself---pudgy guy 69 years old--so if I can---then-------

They last 3 to five years. Mine is an ADCO from CW---designer series it has venting and plenty of access zippers. The tyvek top drapes over the side by about a foot helping with the rubbing. It is not bad looking either. Roughly $350/400 something like that. It is the best one I have had.

Your cover will tear, they all do. You can use tennis balls to place over pointy things and then the tennis ball will wear through if there is enough pressure. I patched my last ones. When I bought the one I have they were pushing an insurance deal and said if it ripped or wore out within four year they woud repair or replace. At the end of four years I'm going in to ask for my new one---we shall see.

Congratulations on your new rig.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 05:12 PM   #5

On the cover - do you have the ability to store it at home? If so I would have a cover built. I think if I was spending that kind of money I would not use a cover. As to blowout protection - check with your insurance company. We have roadside assistance on our policy - about $60 a year and they cover everything on a breakdown on the road.

Good Luck
Arnold
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 06:59 PM   #6

Njs42 - Thank you for the response. Yes, I am talking about blow out protection for the tires. I actually misspelled the name; it is called Tyron. Apparently, when a tire blow it can cause damage to the coach by the tread ripping off. This product is suppose to keep the tire in place so it does not do this. I am not sold in this product yet so I will probably pass. In regard to the cover, thank you very much for the information. Have you noticed any scratched or paint wear from your covers? I think I am going to pass on the CB for now and if I get the itch to have one I will get it later. Again, thank you for all the information.

Awarnes, thank you for your reply. I will be keeping the coach at my home. However, I am limited to what I an build on the property so I am not sure I can have one built that would be affordable.

Thank you both for your very helpful information.
Old 11-02-2011, 07:15 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Safe T Plus worked 99% on our coach. I would get that for sure.
Old 11-02-2011, 08:52 PM   #8

You have to look at your weight limits before mounting a hydralift. I doubt a RED can handle it. You don't need a CB, waste of money IMHO. Smokey is smarter than CB's nowdays. You likely have a cell phone. No cover....euuu will be a problem at some time. Save your money.
Gouda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 09:15 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcarriere View Post
Njs42 - Thank you for the response. Yes, I am talking about blow out protection for the tires. I actually misspelled the name; it is called Tyron. Apparently, when a tire blow it can cause damage to the coach by the tread ripping off. This product is suppose to keep the tire in place so it does not do this. I am not sold in this product yet so I will probably pass. In regard to the cover, thank you very much for the information. Have you noticed any scratched or paint wear from your covers? I think I am going to pass on the CB for now and if I get the itch to have one I will get it later. Again, thank you for all the information.

Awarnes, thank you for your reply. I will be keeping the coach at my home. However, I am limited to what I an build on the property so I am not sure I can have one built that would be affordable.

Thank you both for your very helpful information.

You reminded me--I meant to say something about the rubbing, Yes there are areas where I get rubbing of the cover----so far for me it basically has been confined to rubbing off roof sealant and spreading it on the roof corners and some where the cover fits the lower corners. Also I believe some minor rubbing of the fiberglass which I have just rubbed out with regular wax/rubbing products. Frankly I do not know what would happen to a painted surface. But the rubbing has been confined in my case to the roof areas and the MH lower corners----after a little rub out I cannot tell if there is or notice any damage.

I should also mention where I store my rig I have rigs on each side so they do buffer the wind---but I can tell when the wind has blown by looking at the cover--it shifts a little---billowing up and moving just a little under the straps. This new cover has superior venting to the others I have had curtailing the movement a bit.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 09:38 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
1) Tyron - I have it and have heard that it really works. Local Fire Dept has it.
2) CB - I love to have it on my rig. You can hear about traffic conditions ahead and find out what lane to get in or alternate routes when there's a backup for a wreck or construction. MAKE SURE you do not hook it up to the standard hookup and grounding wire. It will have interference from the AC compressor. Hook it up direct to the battery line in front of the firewall.
3) The clearcoat on the Tiffins is sensitive! I usually wash the coach with a microfiber mop head, but washed it once with a very expensive boar hair brush that was highly recommended. BIG MISTAKE. Ended up with swirl marks on the coach and had to wax the whole thing. If that ultrasoft brush causes swirl marks and tiny scratches in the clearcoat, imagine what a cover will do.
SW4UA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 09:51 PM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The Tyron set up mounts inside the tire and keeps the tire beads from coming off, it will not keep a shredded tire tread from damaging the rig. It will give you some time to stop though. I'd pass on them for the cost!

If a sales person is recommending the Safe T Plus, I wonder about why they think you need it? Is the rig that unstable? If so I would be looking for another rig!

Never used nor needed a cover in all my years of RV'ing (since 1957). Maybe if I was storing the rig in Yuma for the summer but probably not even then.

We have a CB, haven't used it in 6 years or so, wish I hadn't drilled holes in the dash to mount it now.

The lifts are fine if you have a tag axle otherwise you're probably going to be over the axle weight rating plus it will unload the front axle which may make the steering unstable.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 01:46 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcarriere View Post
I am getting ready to pick up my new 2012 Allegro Red on Saturday and have a few quick questions.

3. I am looking at a full cover to protect the coach while not in use. Does anyone have recommendations? I like the ADCO Tyvek. It has never scratched my paint. I clean the coach to get all the dirt, dust and debris off that would scratch the paint before covering. I also bad the corners of the MH to avoid tearing the cover or having the cover rub the corners. The cover takes 20 to 30 minutes to put. Pull it up on the roof, drop it down the ends and sides, throw the straps under and buckle them up.

I also have it waxed twice a year.

DW just approved a new garage so this will be my last year to use the cover.

4. I am not sure about a CB. Should I or should I not? I have a hand held CB. I use it to check on traffic back ups, which lane should I be in to get around whatever has caused the tie up, etc... Can't do that with a cell phone. $59.00 at PFJ.
Just my 2 cents
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 06:00 AM   #13

Thank you everyone for your replies.

Based on what I am reading from everyone it is mixed on the CB. I will probably wait on this and just use my GPS with Traffic updates for now.

In regard to the Tyron, I will still need to think about this and verify the price. If it does not stop the tread from pulling off during a blowout then I will probably skip this as well.

I will more than likely do a cover. I saw what the Florida weather did to my boat and I do not want the same thing happen to this coach. I like the idea of washing down the coach prior to putting on the cover. The time to put it on does not bother me as it has to be better than the sun beating down on it. I will look for one that has the most interior padding and softer materials.

As for the Safe T Plus, it is my understanding that it provides better handling all the way around and especially at highway speeds. I drove the coach that I am buying and it seemed to handle just fine but if it provides even better handling then I will be adding this item.

I talked with the mechanic that is setting up the coach about the Hydralift and he stated that the coach will handle this no problem. Here are the spec's of the coach just in case...please let me know what you think.

BTW - I am purchasing the 2012 Allegro RED.

• GAWR – Front: 12,000 Lb.
  • • GAWR – Rear: 17,500 Lb.
  • • GVWR: 29,500 Lb.
  • • GCWR: 33,000 Lb.
I really appreciate all the words of wisdom.
Old 11-03-2011, 06:41 PM   #14

I have Tyron and after seeing a Zepher that had a blowout in S Fl and the driver lost control and hit a car next to him and pushed him into a bridge killing him. That made me spend the money, that hopefully will prevent that.
Lault is offline   Reply With Quote