RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-05-2012, 06:25 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Going to Red Bay

We have to take our coach back to Red Bay to have body work done. We got rear ended. The rear cap will have to be replaced. I have talked to them and they are way backed up, about 6 weeks worth. It is very usable just sort of knots your stomach when you look at it. I plan on dropping it off and let them fix it. Any one got any pointers? Things I should know before I go?

Joshua 24:15
ChucknTammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2012, 07:01 PM   #2

I have a name of a great body shop in red bay they r exellent

ixtapamayor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:34 PM   #3

We dropped off a few years ago only to find out that there was no rental cars nearby to drive to the closet airport
cdolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:14 AM   #4
paz

There are a couple of other body shops in Red Bay to which Tiffin frequently subcontracts work and to which Tiffin frequently refers customers. They have access to Tiffin parts and paint codes.

We had work done a couple of years ago by McKinney Body Shop. The work was done well and I thought the price was fair. It was just simple repainting, but they got us in within a couple of days. There is also another body shop that is supposed to be good, but I can't remember the name.

If you are going to Red Bay to wait for the work to be done and you're 100% sure the cap has to be replaced, try to arrange to have Tiffin make the cap in advance. That alone will probably take a couple of weeks.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:38 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Twin Lakes RV in Seneca, SC has recently become a Tiffin Service Center. They have a dedicated RV Collision and Repair Booth. This may be an option as well.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:41 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Red Bay Body Shop also does wonderful work and has access to Tiffin info. You might have them look at it to see what actually must be done. It could be repairable rather than replaceable if you would consider that.

Leaving your coach in Red Bay means that it goes on the runway with no hookups. This means that you must be sure that everything that would drain your batteries is off. Depending on the length of time it may sit there (ask for a projected time frame although it may not happen since Tiffin is so full right now and coaches on the runway seem to be on the bottom of the totem pole), make sure that you go in with a full tank of fuel. You can set the generator to come on when the batteries reach a certain point of discharge and set it to run for as long as it takes to recharge the batteries. I myself have never been able to completely remove the battery drain on my 2009 Phaeton despite turning everything I can think of off. The generator, of course, runs on diesel and hits empty at about a quarter tank. That is why you need to be absolutely sure you have a full fuel tank.

One other word: call often to check on its status. That keeps you on the radar and around Tiffin you need to make sure you are still on the radar. Call Wade every day or so. If it goes past the projected date he or the new scheduling guy gave you, then I would call every day. With the pressure Tiffin is under with the campground full and even the overflow full, they are more likely to move coaches with people in them through faster. Just a fact I have noticed when at Red Bay myself. Pester enough and they will let you go to other people such as McKinney, Red Bay Body shop, Bruce Deaton paint. But you must be nice and you must be patient and give them some time to fix it, or your coach will sit there a long, long time.
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:33 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks to all. I have had the local Tiffin dealer, a local body shop and Tiffin in Red Bay ( from looking at pictures ) all suggest replacing the rear cap. I am pre-ordering the cap and what parts expected to be needed.

Joshua 24:15
ChucknTammy is offline   Reply With Quote