Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-29-2014, 11:17 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
GPS ???? Need a recommendation

My Garmin nuvi is slowly dying and need to replace with another faithful GPS.
Pondering another Garmin or Rand Mcnally. Is the RV GPS worth the extra money? Any tips would be appreciated.
Thanks all
parrett1012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2014, 11:52 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have the 760rv, replaced the old garmin....very handy, can set parameters as far as height, width etc , weight...has blue tooth for phone, traffic....big screen. Life time updates..Won't leave home without it..
garykk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 01:07 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
I like my Rand McNally 7720 and I would recommend it. It has a lot of RV-friendly features.

I have not used the Garmin, but I own several Garmin products and they are excellent. I think the choice comes down to Garmin or Rand McNally, and you won't go wrong with either.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 03:05 PM   #4

After a few years with an old Garmin we bought a Rand McNalley 7710.
Having campgrounds included is nice but the Garmin gave MUCH better directions. Too many dirt roads and indirect routes suggested. My navigator is continuously putting "Randy" on ignore.
Our next one will be a Garmin again.
okgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 03:11 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Garmin 760dzl. Just got back from a long trip with it and it worked great. Big enough screen to see as well.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 04:24 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I like my Rand McNally but it died and I have to replace it. One of the things I do not like is that on several occasions it has taken me right through the middle of larger towns for instance two weeks ago It took me right through the middle of Kansas City even though there is a bypass road around it. I notice the new Garvin RV GPS has the ability to easily exclude an area such as major cities has anyone used that yet
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 04:41 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Garmin RV760 is great. Purchased an extra mount so I use it in the MH and toad without the hassle of moving and adjusting the mount. It allows you to have 2 set ups one for the MH and one for the toad (weight, height, etc.). Voice activation, multiple warnings for schools, etc. real time traffic, camp grounds and so much more.
Old 04-29-2014, 05:43 PM   #8
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Whether you buy a Garmin or a Rand McNally you will be a getting good GPS unit. Does it pay to get an RV friendly unit. Definitly. I have a RV7710 and it has all my MHs measurements etc. and it has performed very well. It routes me away from tunnels low overpasses and small bridges, so there is a great feeling of security with it. I have also noticed that mine will usually tell me exactly what the hwy. sign I need to know about says.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 09:38 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
One nice thing about the RM unit is it allows you to easily find places that RVers need, such as Flying J (or other truck stops), Walmarts, Campgrounds and rest stops.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 12:10 PM   #10

I have a new RM 7720 and wish I had the Garmin, the 12 volt charger died the second time that I used it and a charge with the wall charger only last about an hour and a half. It has routed me through a tunnel. So far not impressed with the 7720.
jax1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 06:09 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Statgeek Send a message via MSN to Statgeek Send a message via Yahoo to Statgeek
If you have an iPad already that is capable of being on the cellular network, consider the Rand McNally app. It turns your iPad into an RV gps for $100. You do not need to be on the cellular network, but you need a cellular-model because Apple installed GPS receivers in those iPads but not in the wifi only models. Huge screen for a GPS too!

If you'd like an iPad, but don't have one, consider buying one for both the GPS and all the other uses.
Statgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 07:09 PM   #12

I have the RM 7710 and it provided great directions to every CG we stayed at between FL and AK. It was great for looking up CGs enroute too. Finally, height based routing is really why I bought it. No problems over the last 3 years.
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps