Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-25-2011, 03:25 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Gravity Toilet

Don't have a lot of info on these, but DON'T want any problems, looking for info on DO'S and DONT'S any input will be helpful, thanks
trn the page is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2011, 03:34 PM   #2

Not sure exactly what you are referring to, but assuming it is the standard RV toilet, as most are gravity drained. There are some out there that are electric and some that use domestic pressure for flushing.

I can just tell you from experience that don't be bashful when using water. Too little water causes problems. leave some water in the bowl to act as a vapor / odor barrier. I do not use additive, just dump more often. Really nothing magical to a RV toilet. Hope I got your meaning, and this helps.

Greg & Lynn (Full-Timing)
2011 Phaeton 42 QBH / Spartan Chassis
2003 Jeep GC Overland in Tow
FDchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 08:29 PM   #3

Send a message via Yahoo to wmpbauer
Quote:
Originally Posted by FDchief
Not sure exactly what you are referring to, but assuming it is the standard RV toilet, as most are gravity drained. There are some out there that are electric and some that use domestic pressure for flushing.

I can just tell you from experience that don't be bashful when using water. Too little water causes problems. leave some water in the bowl to act as a vapor / odor barrier. I do not use additive, just dump more often. Really nothing magical to a RV toilet. Hope I got your meaning, and this helps.
Lots of water....I flush until it runs clear....use a clear plastic adapter that let's you monitor the discharge. Then flush it again.

I usually add several gallons (but less than 25%) to the black and gray tank before I depart a campground, so it will slosh around and agitate a bit while driving down the highway. Adding a cup of Pine Sol to that sloshing does a nice cleaning. About every third time, I add just fresh water with a fourth of a cup of swimming pool chlorine powder (sodium di-chlor granular) or two cups of swimming pool liquid chlorine. No, I don't use bleach.....not ever! Just don't even think about dripping or spilling anywhere. It is MUCH stronger than bleach. Then drive to your next destination. Arrive with nice clean tanks.
Sun City Center, FL
wmpbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 12:21 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
The key to an RV toilet is to leave the drain closed until you are ready to leave or it is about 3/4 full, using lots of water when flushing. Then when you drain the tank, shut the valve, then use the tank rinse, if you have one, for at least 3 full minutes and drain again. Close the valve and add 1/4 tank of water. From inside pour a half cup of Pine Power (available at most Dollar General stores) in through the toilet. When you arrive at your next stop, drain the tank upon arrival, close the valve and add back some water to the black water tank using the tank rinse or pouring it down the toilet. Keeping water in that tank is the most important thing you can do. Some put ice cubes in the toilet that melt and jiggle as you are driving but I like the Pine Power. This has worked for me for years, no chemicals added and no tank problems. Hope I didn't just jinx myself
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 08:16 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melmoses View Post
The key to an RV toilet is to leave the drain closed until you are ready to leave or it is about 3/4 full, using lots of water when flushing. Then when you drain the tank, shut the valve, then use the tank rinse, if you have one, for at least 3 full minutes and drain again. Close the valve and add 1/4 tank of water. From inside pour a half cup of Pine Power (available at most Dollar General stores) in through the toilet. When you arrive at your next stop, drain the tank upon arrival, close the valve and add back some water to the black water tank using the tank rinse or pouring it down the toilet. Keeping water in that tank is the most important thing you can do. Some put ice cubes in the toilet that melt and jiggle as you are driving but I like the Pine Power. This has worked for me for years, no chemicals added and no tank problems. Hope I didn't just jinx myself
Pretty much the same here. Don't need chemicals. Use lots of water! Pine Sol before you leave for the next stop and it cleans up good. No issues in years with different rigs.
Dan
Old 05-20-2011, 08:32 PM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
I agree on the "use plenty of water," but what's with all the Pine stuff?? ...that IS chemicals to me! The only "extra" thing I put in my tank is any bio-degradeable additive that includes coconut oil maybe a couple of times a year to help lube the dump valve seal ...other than that no Pine stuff, no ice, no bleach, no Sodium di-chlor (which I DO use to sanitize the fresh water tank), no chlorine ...just water. We have never had any odor problems unless you want to count the time we hit the road with the rear ceiling vent open ...which is just a little to the side and rear of the roof-top tank vent ...

We flush briefly, flush again briefly (helps clear any paper, etc from the ball seal), then add several inches of water to the bowl for the next use.

I have found it helps a little to keep the bowl clean if we spray furniture polish into the dry bowl after cleaning it ...then let the polish sit for awhile before re-filling and using the toilet.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 12:00 AM   #7

Pretty much of all RV toilet fixtures are of the gravity type with a few exceptions with a fairly straight shot into the black water tank which is gravity fed to outlet connection. there is a number of fixtures on the market including one that supposedly cleans ball slides when flushed. If you are replacing a fixture or ordering new then get the taller seat. You will never regret the taller fixture. As for the advice given for cleaning and empting the black tank any part or all of it is good
RVhauler is offline   Reply With Quote