Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Motorhomes Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-30-2014, 12:27 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Greenhorn Questions - Dipstick and Flashers

This is our first motorhome and I'm still really trying to come up to speed. I am having trouble getting the dipstick all the way into the tube on the Cat C7 when I'm checking the oil. Seems like I have to fiddle, fuss, twist and turn the dipstick, then eventually the stars align and it pops right in. I'm sure it is my technique - is there a right way to reinsert the dipstick?

My second problem is that I can't find the 4-way flashers (and Fantasy Fest is months away). Are Tiffins equipped with them? If so, where are they activated? I bought a set of three warning triangles that are intended for semis, but I would like to have the flashers available if it is so equipped.

This forum has been of tremendous help this year while we have shopped for and purchased our coach. I would have probably been too intimidated to buy a Class A had all of this knowledge and support not been available. Thanks to all that make it happen.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2014, 12:34 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Federal law says you have flashers. Look on and around steering column.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 12:37 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectPro View Post
This is our first motorhome and I'm still really trying to come up to speed. I am having trouble getting the dipstick all the way into the tube on the Cat C7 when I'm checking the oil. Seems like I have to fiddle, fuss, twist and turn the dipstick, then eventually the stars align and it pops right in. I'm sure it is my technique - is there a right way to reinsert the dipstick?

My second problem is that I can't find the 4-way flashers (and Fantasy Fest is months away). Are Tiffins equipped with them? If so, where are they activated? I bought a set of three warning triangles that are intended for semis, but I would like to have the flashers available if it is so equipped.

This forum has been of tremendous help this year while we have shopped for and purchased our coach. I would have probably been too intimidated to buy a Class A had all of this knowledge and support not been available. Thanks to all that make it happen.

You aren't alone on the dipstick issue. The reason is that the dipstick is a chassis builder installed item and sometimes the tube makes some pretty impressive turns from the end where the stick goes back to where it enters the engine. Try to eyeball the path of the tube from underneath and try inserting oriented to make the biggest bend easy.

If you continue to have no lick finding the flashers, call the Tiffin tech line.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 08:27 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
If you have a Freightliner chassis, look at the end of the turn signal lever nearest the steering column. There should be a chrome plated metal piece there - pull it out to turn on the flashers. Move the turn signal lever to turn off the flashers.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 08:44 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post
If you have a Freightliner chassis, look at the end of the turn signal lever nearest the steering column. There should be a chrome plated metal piece there - pull it out to turn on the flashers. Move the turn signal lever to turn off the flashers.
On my 06 Bus the flasher is red but it is under the turn signal lever.
Old 07-02-2014, 07:33 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi Ho: On our 2006 Phaeton 40 QDH with Freightliner chassis, it is on the bottom of the steering column about 10 inches from the steering wheel, in the center. Just pull it out to engage. We use them on a regular basis when climbing a steep hill at a speed substantially below the speed limit.

Oh, for what it's worth, the hassle getting the dipstick in is only half the problem. Ours registers at least a quart or two more than full when the correct amount of oil is put in.
Old 07-02-2014, 08:38 PM   #7

You will eventually learn the correct jiggle to get the dipstick in. I have the same problem. My four way flasher is on the steering column. It took forever to find it the first time.
Old 07-03-2014, 12:30 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I also have a 05 40ft Phaeton with a C7. I thought it was me but when I asked Mike at Camp Freightliner about it he said that all of the C7 Cat dipsticks were the same way. Something about the bend as the tube enters the oil pan I believe. I am pretty sure that on my 05 Phaeton the flasher switch is a pull out button on the front of the steering column. Happy camping. The 05 Phaeton is a nice coach.
Old 07-15-2014, 11:48 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Read The Manual!

Sure enough, the 4-ways are on the steering column. As explained in the Freightliner manual. I thought I had read (or at least scanned) all the documentation I received, but I obviously missed that. I'll keep practicing with the dip stick, and will hire Cat to calibrate the level when they do the yearly in a few months. Thanks to all who responded.