Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Motorhomes Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-06-2017, 10:57 AM   #43

Iflyabus, one has to also ask what is the life span on a siphon? P-traps don't have lifespans, but your a 2009, 8 years old.I honestly don't know how long they last.Maybe take it off and run some water through it, and physically look to see if it is still working as designed.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2017, 07:30 PM   #44

Tried to take a pic but not a lot of room and didn't turn out that well. Attached anyway. The white tape covers the hole where the AAV attaches. I'll try to describe. The AAV attaches to the main drain pipe that comes up out of the basement. Off this drain pipe is a tee approx a foot below the AAV. This tee goes over to a trap then up approx 18 inches which the washing machine drain house is inserted. You can't see the top of the drain hose pipe as too high for the picture. I was holding the washing machine drain hose out of the way. Does that make since?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1386.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	1.39 MB
ID:	171983

Old 08-06-2017, 07:32 PM   #45

Same pic attached twice. No difference between the two.

Edit: Guess it didn't attach twice after all!
Old 08-06-2017, 09:16 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFlyABus View Post
One way to know for sure is to close the grey tank drain for a while. Will try that and see if the problem occurs again.
FWIW, I fulltime and never keep the gray valve open, and occasionally get that smell in the washing machine. I think most of the time it's when I've been driving, and I figured the water bounced out of the p-trap.

I've been thinking about getting one of these:

Hepvo Waterless Valve
Old 08-06-2017, 10:19 PM   #47

Tiffin Owners Club
Not sure what you mean here trx430ex? A siphon? Are you referring to an AAV?

Quote:
Originally Posted by trx430ex View Post
Iflyabus, one has to also ask what is the life span on a siphon? P-traps don't have lifespans, but your a 2009, 8 years old.I honestly don't know how long they last.Maybe take it off and run some water through it, and physically look to see if it is still working as designed.
Old 08-06-2017, 10:24 PM   #48

Tiffin Owners Club
Makes sense, and thanks for the pic. However, the AAV would serve no purpose unless the washer drain hose were inserted into the DWV pipe then sealed so that no air leaked; was yours sealed, or did it just sit inside the pipe like in a house? Because if the washer drain hose allows air around it, then the AAV will never function at all.

I'll try to take a pic of mine when I get home in a few days for comparison.

Thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milehghcty View Post
Tried to take a pic but not a lot of room and didn't turn out that well. Attached anyway. The white tape covers the hole where the AAV attaches. I'll try to describe. The AAV attaches to the main drain pipe that comes up out of the basement. Off this drain pipe is a tee approx a foot below the AAV. This tee goes over to a trap then up approx 18 inches which the washing machine drain house is inserted. You can't see the top of the drain hose pipe as too high for the picture. I was holding the washing machine drain hose out of the way. Does that make since?

Attachment 171983
Old 08-06-2017, 10:25 PM   #49

Tiffin Owners Club
I have never gotten it while driving, only while sitting. Both with the grey tank valve closed as well as open. Random times that defy logic...

Also, that HEPVO valve looks like what tax showed in post #35. Interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oatmeal View Post
FWIW, I fulltime and never keep the gray valve open, and occasionally get that smell in the washing machine. I think most of the time it's when I've been driving, and I figured the water bounced out of the p-trap.

I've been thinking about getting one of these:

Hepvo Waterless Valve
Old 08-06-2017, 10:53 PM   #50

IFlyABus: yes,mine was open like in a house. i do plan to pack with plumbers putty where the two pipes go together when i replace the AAV
Old 08-06-2017, 11:50 PM   #51

Tiffin Owners Club
Hmmm, that makes no sense. Think about it; the AAV's design is such that if a vacuum is created (such as when dumping a tank), the rubber flabber moves downward, allowing air into the pipe, so that p-traps are not drained. When the suction is gone, the rubber closes up again, preventing smells from coming out.

But if you have an open-to-air connection between the washer and the DWV, then air can already flow in, and the AAV will never function. But smells CAN come out this washer/DWV connection.

When I purchased by bus last year, I took every AAV out and tested them one at a time. They all worked just fine.

Strange to me that tiffin installed an AAV (albeit a wasted one) on your washer, but not on mine. Unless yours was added after by a previous owner, that is.

Thanks for all the input!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milehghcty View Post
IFlyABus: yes,mine was open like in a house. i do plan to pack with plumbers putty where the two pipes go together when i replace the AAV
Old 08-07-2017, 06:28 AM   #52
YO_

National RV Owners Club
Long story short version. Had strong odor for days. figured out it was coming from washer area. We don't have washer, but a pantry instead. Plumbing was there for washer. removed plumbing below trap, put on a cap, no more odor. Suspected aav was the issue as the pipe for the washer hose was capped off.. Did replace the other two aav's under the sinks. Not with the ones from Lowes or HD, but one online that got great reviews. Over a year and no odor and system works fine.

Good Luck
YO_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 02:01 PM   #53

Tiffin Owners Club
Update on the situation. After sealing the washer hose to the p-trap drain a couple of weeks ago, we again had odor in the RV last night. Frustrated enough, I pulled the dryer out and using a sniffer device I've had for many years and have spent over $150,000 keeping it in good shape, I was able to find the source of the smell. It was coming out of the ceiling. It seems one of the vent pipes is allowing the smell back into the coach.

After using my high-priced sniffer (My nose), I stuffed toilet paper into the gaps and the smell quickly dissipated. Went to the store this morning and bought some spray foam to seal the holes cut in the ceiling for the vent pipes.

Having replaced the vent caps before, I am 98% certain the pipes are well sealed to the roof outside, but when I get back from the beach in a few days, I will be climbing on the roof and exploring with a tube of dicor in hand.

Also, if you remove the dryer, be aware that there is NO WAY to align the vent hose with the back of the dryer. I measured and adjusted carefully, but it took two tries to get it right. The dryer electric cord is probe to getting in the way, so be careful of this as you re-install the dryer. Shame on Tiffin for not installing an inspection panel in the bathroom for washer/dryer access. I turned on the dryer and went outside to ensure the flapper was open and air was exiting the coach.
Old 08-12-2017, 02:18 PM   #54

Grey tank smell from washing machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFlyABus View Post
Update on the situation. After sealing the washer hose to the p-trap drain a couple of weeks ago, we again had odor in the RV last night. Frustrated enough, I pulled the dryer out and using a sniffer device I've had for many years and have spent over $150,000 keeping it in good shape, I was able to find the source of the smell. It was coming out of the ceiling. It seems one of the vent pipes is allowing the smell back into the coach.

After using my high-priced sniffer (My nose), I stuffed toilet paper into the gaps and the smell quickly dissipated. Went to the store this morning and bought some spray foam to seal the holes cut in the ceiling for the vent pipes.

Having replaced the vent caps before, I am 98% certain the pipes are well sealed to the roof outside, but when I get back from the beach in a few days, I will be climbing on the roof and exploring with a tube of dicor in hand.

Also, if you remove the dryer, be aware that there is NO WAY to align the vent hose with the back of the dryer. I measured and adjusted carefully, but it took two tries to get it right. The dryer electric cord is probe to getting in the way, so be careful of this as you re-install the dryer. Shame on Tiffin for not installing an inspection panel in the bathroom for washer/dryer access. I turned on the dryer and went outside to ensure the flapper was open and air was exiting the coach.

You may need to fully remove the existing vent. May need to reseal the actual pipe penetration. The vent is sometimes a secondary sealed vent cover. Ours had a heavy wrap if butyl tape sealing the pipe. Then the vent is over top the actual pipe.

Great job on finding the source!
Old 08-12-2017, 08:08 PM   #55

Interesting, Wonder if the sway of the coach over years was enough to eventually break the seal? Is the pipe hard mounted to the wall? Or supported from the floor?
Glad you figured it out.
Old 08-13-2017, 07:11 AM   #56
YO_

National RV Owners Club
Glad you found the source and thanks for sharing it with us. Happy Travels

YO_ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grey tank, smell, tank