Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-19-2019, 07:08 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Has any Tiffin owner experienced this roof issue

Got on the roof to work on the front AC unit and the roof just doesn't seem right. When I walk, at least on the front 1/3 it feels like the top (white) layer has separated from the layer below it. It "pops" as I walk like there are several bubbles between the layers.

About a month ago I had some of the "white" top layer flake off and when I called Tiffin, they said that was normal and would cause no problems. I went ahead and put eternabond tape on it and now I see another small area doing the same.

I would appreciate any comments or thoughts on how I should proceed. Thanks in advance.
brandss is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2019, 05:55 PM   #2

I believe that the fiberglass roof isn’t actually attached to the substructure except at the points where the roof mounted accessories go through the roof.
Old 08-20-2019, 06:02 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
2014 Phaeton, we had that problem after being in really hot weather. Called Tiffin they made an appointment for me to come in and have the roof checked. They actually went up and re-glued the top by injecting glue up under the skin. That happens often when the blue is not actually put under the skin in the entire amount needed
Old 08-20-2019, 08:38 AM   #4
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger G View Post
I believe that the fiberglass roof isn’t actually attached to the substructure except at the points where the roof mounted accessories go through the roof.
Actually, I watched our roof being prepared and installed at the factory. They use glue sprayed the entire length of the roof except for about 18" along the edges. After the fiberglass is laid on it, the roof structure then goes into a hot press to activate the glue. After they attach the roof to to the coach, they use a glue like Liquid Nails along the edges and radius. The glue can turn loose letting the roof expand and bubble up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4657.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	180.8 KB
ID:	257471  
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 09:36 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks for the replies. Just got off the phone with Tiffin and they said it isn't right, obviously, and to bring it in. Going to search and see what it's like signing in for service and how long to wait to get looked at and then how long to have to wait to get in for repair. Thanks again.
brandss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 09:52 AM   #6
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Now is one of the better times to go to Red Bay. Their slowest times at the service center are the hot summer months and dead of winter. The worst times are during the annual "snow bird migration" in the Spring and Fall.

I just looked at the current status at the service center on another forum and they report lots of empty spots. Your best bet is to get there on a Saturday or Sunday and sign in at the campground office. They will ask you for a list of repairs, then an estimator will come visit you early Monday morning to see what you have. He can give you an estimate of time, depending on what you need done.

All of the RV lots in town are the same price and we prefer the Red Bay RV park out on the west edge of town. The spaces are larger and it has good areas to walk the dogs. IF they deem your repair is under structure warranty, then you might get to stay at the service center campground free of charge. I don't know if their free when under warranty is only for the first year or any warranty work.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 04:56 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
As I said in a previous post when mine done that they actually made an appointment for that particular shop for me to come in as they are busy and only see you on appointments at the time I done mine anyway

Tags
roof, tiffin