Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-19-2015, 07:34 PM   #1

HDMI cable broken

I have a 2013 Phaeton 40' QBH. Anyone who owns one knows what I am about to say. Ever who designed the cabinet that house the HDMI distribution boards should be shot. One of the male ends broke, it feeds the TV over the fire place.
I had a RV sales center do some work done for me, I asked if they could repair the cable and there reply was yes. I added the repair to the written list. I got a call from the service department telling me that many ends where broken, that was news to me. I told them to fix them all. When I got the rig home I could get DTV on any set. I looked the the rats nest and found at least three broken connector to include the main feed from the DTV box. I called the the service department who had worked to the cables, he proceed to tell me that I had told him on the phone that I would fix the cables. I had one question for him.... why would I ask you to fix one if I know how to fix it. This lead to a call to Bob. I don't know what transpired by we were called and would fix everything at our schedule.

Anyway does anyone know how to repair a HDMI cable or how to run and new one from the front or the coach to the panel ??
Budski is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2015, 08:39 PM   #2

They may make replaceable ends, but I have never seen one. I'm betting you will need to run new cables.
powderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 09:01 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budski View Post
I have a 2013 Phaeton 40' QBH. Anyone who owns one knows what I am about to say. Ever who designed the cabinet that house the HDMI distribution boards should be shot. One of the male ends broke, it feeds the TV over the fire place.
I had a RV sales center do some work done for me, I asked if they could repair the cable and there reply was yes. I added the repair to the written list. I got a call from the service department telling me that many ends where broken, that was news to me. I told them to fix them all. When I got the rig home I could get DTV on any set. I looked the the rats nest and found at least three broken connector to include the main feed from the DTV box. I called the the service department who had worked to the cables, he proceed to tell me that I had told him on the phone that I would fix the cables. I had one question for him.... why would I ask you to fix one if I know how to fix it. This lead to a call to Bob. I don't know what transpired by we were called and would fix everything at our schedule.

Anyway does anyone know how to repair a HDMI cable or how to run and new one from the front or the coach to the panel ??
If a new cable run is impossible you might want to try wireless HDMI transmitter and receiver. I haven't tried them but it may be your only solution. Good luck.
Gdawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 07:40 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
To the greatest extent possible I would recommend replacement with quality cable.. I'm not familiar enough with HDMI protocol to say more.

I do know getting that many wires into that size connector is a job for folks with younger eyes than I have.
Old 10-20-2015, 08:22 AM   #5

I have a 2014 Tiffin Red and I have 3 bad HDMI cables.Running new cables is not a option.What I did was I use the DVD cable for satellite and switch them when I watch a movie I bought a A/B splitter from amazon
KIN&P SL2402 is a 2in 4out with IR Remote control HDMI switch splitter2x4
Rodneykrantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 11:15 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budski View Post

If I am not mistaken, the cable that runs from the HDMI splitter in the cabinet to your TV in the living room is an Ethernet cable, not HDMI, Tiffine cheaped out and ran Ethernet to the TVs, at least that's what is in ours...
I am pretty sure you can replace the nods in these with a tool..

http://www.groundcontrol.com/galileo/ch5-ethernet.htm
garykk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 10:14 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by garykk View Post
If I am not mistaken, the cable that runs from the HDMI splitter in the cabinet to your TV in the living room is an Ethernet cable, not HDMI, Tiffine cheaped out and ran Ethernet to the TVs, at least that's what is in ours...
I am pretty sure you can replace the nods in these with a tool..

How to Make an Ethernet Cable - Cat5, RJ45 Connectors - VSAT Installation Training
That is not cheapest why to run Video! To run Video any real distance you need use Cat5/6 to a converter than HDMI to the TV!

1x4 HDMI® Amplifier Splitter over CAT5e/CAT6 Complete Solution Kit - Extend Upto 164ft - Monoprice.com
jjensen04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 10:42 AM   #8

it is HDMI

If it where CAT 5 or 6 I could go to home depot and buy replacement end ( I have done that in the past:
Budski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 10:55 AM   #9

I have done the wireless HDMI transmitter on a previous coach and it worked flawlessly, was about a $100 if I remember correctly!
HWH Active Air Suspension 2014 Wrangler
DRL1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 07:36 PM   #10

I would rather they run Cat6 cable instead of HDMI for those longer runs or to spots where you can't run a new cable. You can repair the end of that cable, use baluns on the two ends to convert to whatever signal you want. If HDMI goes out of favor, chances are the new connection will be able to run over the cat wire. The only time I've had issues with the baluns is trying to play xbox.

When I have my coach built, running Cat6 wire to strategic places will be a must for these very reasons.
rex-racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 03:20 PM   #11
JWJ

Where is the HDMI spliter located?
JWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 03:33 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Depending on year and model, they could be in the AV cabinet in the bedroom to in an overhead cabinet in the front.
garykk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 05:23 PM   #13

If you want to run a new cable it can be done with some work but it's not impossible. Your coach is HDMI from the splitter/ amp in the cabinet behind the bedroom TV to the front TV. However there are intermediate connections. The cables from the splitters to the front TV's go down the wall to a junction point under the large cloths hamper drawer directly below the bedroom TV. Remove the hamper and look on the left for the cable connections under the hamper. Now the hard part running the new cable down to the connection.
Old 01-21-2019, 06:32 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRL1950 View Post
I have done the wireless HDMI transmitter on a previous coach and it worked flawlessly, was about a $100 if I remember correctly!
Agree. Hooking up a wireless HDMI transmitter and receiver is way easier. Had to do that on my Tiffin Wayarer within 3 months of owning it. Although the cables are high quality for home applications, the rubberized HDMI connector ends were too flexible and the connectors vibrated right on out of two of my cables at the splitters. I picked up my wireless HDMI devices at Best Buy.

Best,
-Mark
MarkMaxPayne is offline   Reply With Quote