RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-21-2014, 02:10 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: St. Simons Island Ga.
Posts: 1
Hello Allegro bus owners

Last week I purchased my very own 2002 Allegro Bus with the Cummins Diesel Engine... My first diesel...Any "Must Do's"or "Must Not Do's" before I can read all the booklets that came with it...It has 53,000 miles ...Any info will be appreciated... My first trip is in two weeks.. Thanks Bobby
__________________

br549bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2014, 03:26 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Jamie65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 248
Last Sept we purchased a 2003 Allegro Bus, 400 Cummins. Check your air filter, fuel filter, oil change and filter, also there is a engine water system filter on mine. It is next to the oil filter and I had to get under the bus to change it. The tech's at the dealership where I purchased mine did not know of this filter. You probably have air brakes, look on the tech spec's at the opening of this forum and see about draining the air tanks. I am still learning about mine and we are returning from a 4 month tour of the west.
__________________

__________________
Ed & Kathleen
2003 Tiffin Allegro 40'
Jeep Liberty Tow
Jamie65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 08:32 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Jeff426's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Boise Idaho
Posts: 466
We have put a 2011 - 2012, maybe even older Allegro Bus 43QGP on our very short list. In your search was Mileage a factor? What was the primary reason you ended up with the model and year that you ended up with! Did you do any upgrades after the purchase? Do you plan to?
Thanks

Jeff
__________________
Jeff and Lynn Stevenson, Madison, South Dakota
2015 Dutch Star 4369, 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Two paddleboards and two bikes.
" Luck favors the prepared "
Jeff426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 10:03 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
gemini5362's Avatar
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie65 View Post
Last Sept we purchased a 2003 Allegro Bus, 400 Cummins. Check your air filter, fuel filter, oil change and filter, also there is a engine water system filter on mine. It is next to the oil filter and I had to get under the bus to change it. The tech's at the dealership where I purchased mine did not know of this filter. You probably have air brakes, look on the tech spec's at the opening of this forum and see about draining the air tanks. I am still learning about mine and we are returning from a 4 month tour of the west.
I am confused about what you are calling a engine water system filter. Are you talking about the diesel fuel/ water separator filter. It would be fuel filter with a drain on the bottom to drain any water separated out of the fuel.

If that is not what you are talking about what kind of engine water system filter are you talking about.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 10:06 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
gemini5362's Avatar
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by br549bobby View Post
Last week I purchased my very own 2002 Allegro Bus with the Cummins Diesel Engine... My first diesel...Any "Must Do's"or "Must Not Do's" before I can read all the booklets that came with it...It has 53,000 miles ...Any info will be appreciated... My first trip is in two weeks.. Thanks Bobby
I would check the fan belt on the engine to make sure it did not have cracks in it. I would get a hydrometer and check each one of the coach and chasis batteries to see if they are in good shape.

check the date code on the tires and see how old they are. Some people tell you they have to be changed at 8 years old. I do not agree with that but I had my tires checked for internal cracks before I made the decision.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 07:43 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Jamie65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 248
I have a water system filter, it is in the radiator cooling water system. I read about it in the Cummings engine book, on my bus it is located next to the oil filter and is accessible only from under the bus. It is very important to close the water valve before and remember to open it after changing the filter. If you forget to open the valve you may do some damage to the engine, that is according to the engine book.
The water system filter is about the size of a oil filter on a auto engine, not a very large item.
Our bus had 47,000 miles, not bad for a 10 year old rig.
We stayed in Kalispell while visiting Glacier National Park recently, fantastic place to visit.
Great meat market in Columbia Falls, "Perfect Cuts", on 3rd street.
__________________
Ed & Kathleen
2003 Tiffin Allegro 40'
Jeep Liberty Tow
Jamie65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 12:50 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
gemini5362's Avatar
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie65 View Post
I have a water system filter, it is in the radiator cooling water system. I read about it in the Cummings engine book, on my bus it is located next to the oil filter and is accessible only from under the bus. It is very important to close the water valve before and remember to open it after changing the filter. If you forget to open the valve you may do some damage to the engine, that is according to the engine book.
The water system filter is about the size of a oil filter on a auto engine, not a very large item.
Our bus had 47,000 miles, not bad for a 10 year old rig.
We stayed in Kalispell while visiting Glacier National Park recently, fantastic place to visit.
Great meat market in Columbia Falls, "Perfect Cuts", on 3rd street.
Thank you for the information. I have not been able to find out anything about the water filter. could you give me a bit more information on your bus. Do you have a side or rear mount radiator and do you know the number for the filter. This is literally the first time I have heard anything about a water system filter and I want to see if my bus has one. I have a 400 cummins.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 05:16 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Hayman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Visiting Family in Mass.
Posts: 1,218
If you cannot locate the engine coolant additive filter you should be able to give your engine serial # to Cummins and they can tell you if your engine has one and location. The coolant additive filter slowly releases an anticorrosive ingredient ( can't remember name ) that in layman's terms helps prevent the antifreeze from becoming corrosive and damaging both the cooling system and engine. This type system for the most part was fazed out due to extended coolant antifreeze formulas now available .
__________________
Sue & Brian Ashworth & Rizzy( adopted Boxer)
2016 Anthem 44A, 2018 GMC Canyon Denali
2012 Fatboy, HydraLift
Hayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 09:32 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Jamie65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 248
I have a side mounted radiator, look under the bus next to the oil filter and if you have a water system filter it should be next to the oil filter. Get your engine info including serial number and call Cummins and ask if it has a water system filter.
__________________
Ed & Kathleen
2003 Tiffin Allegro 40'
Jeep Liberty Tow
Jamie65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 09:22 PM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Live Oak, FL
Posts: 86
br549bobby,

I have the same bus with similar miles. The air filter is nearly impossible to get to and change and it is likely that it may be original. I just had mine changed earlier this year. It was clogged and causing all kind of issues and putting the rv into limp mode. I had it changed at cummins south in Jacksonville which is not too far from you. Fortunately for you, I was the Ginny Pig and they should know how to change it now. We called tiffin and confirmed but you have to remove part of the exhaust system in order to access the air filter. Other than that ridiculous design flaw, we have only had minor "old age" problems and love the rv.
__________________

__________________
JC

2011 Tiffin Phaeton, Freightliner, Cummins
gatorcruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Astro Allegro owners wanted wildistheway Vintage RV's 24 01-22-2015 06:21 PM
05 Dynasty Baroness vs. 08 Allegro Bus ostendorff Class A Motorhome Discussions 6 09-05-2014 09:29 AM
Your thought on an 2010 Allegro bus 43QGP garykk Tiffin Owner's Forum 15 07-04-2014 09:33 PM
Towing an Allegro Bus gemini5362 Tiffin Owner's Forum 15 02-28-2014 06:22 AM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.