Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-23-2014, 08:49 PM   #1

Hello & Questions Regarding The 28DA ~ Full Timing

Hey everyone, thanks for taking the time to read my post!

My name is Chris and I work summers in Alaska and travel during my winters. I will be full timing next summer with my girlfriend while we work this upcoming season in Seward. I have been traveling and part time living out of a 1990 class B and looking to upgrade to something a little bit more "livable". I have done hours and days of researching that led me to writing this post! So lets get down to it.

From my research it is a wise idea to purchase a better quality rig (I am sure most here can agree here Tiffen is a great brand) that has some years on it rather than buying a newer class C. I originally planned to buy from one of the local RV rental places here in Alaska but have found I can spend the same on a quality older Class A. For example, GreatAlaskanHolidays has a 2013 Winni 26Q for 54K. From my searching on line I have found links such as what I am going to post below. (I do not plan on buying this rig, I am just using it as an example.)

RVs - Forest River, Keystone, Jayco, Coachmen, Heartland - RVTrader.com ... -113281688

My budget is around the 45k-55k

I know this is a smaller camper for full timing but we have lived in and out of the class B for months at a time traveling (We are in our 20's)

Is there anything I should know about the 2007-2010 Tiffen 28DA's? I do know ford changed the V10 in 2008. Anything else I should know about these years? Roof leaks? Handling Problems? Generator Problems?

How is the handling and turning on this rig? We sometimes find ourselves in tight spots here in Alaska, does the 28ft body compensate for better turning?

If you have or currently own one of these rigs would you have any suggestions for us?

If you are still reading by this point thank you very much for your time and look forward to hearing from you soon!

Chris
Chris Travels is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2014, 04:46 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
It may be obvious, given your experience, but any coach of that vintage is near the end of life on the tires if they are original. Even ones with low mileage may need replacing just due to age. Check each tire date code so you don't have an expensive surprise problem down the road. Stay safe.
Calliedo02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 08:31 AM   #3

I don't agree with the previous poster about "end of life" for a 2008 motor home. But the point about tires is a good one. Motor homes last as long as a car if well maintained. The engine life expectancy may be 1/2 of that of a car. A lot depends on usage and storage conditions. That being said, I wouldn't buy a used MH and then immediately head for Alaska. You don't have to spend too much time on this site to find out that almost every motor home needs things fixed. I would drive that Motor Home on a "lower-48 test run". Distance is up to you as long as you can test out ALL the on-board systems yourself. I say that because the further into Alaska you get, the farther from parts and a good selection of RV technicians you will get. Better to fix problems on your home turf than while on the road, if possible. Our 27.5 ft Class C is good in boondock situations. We don't get turned away because our rig is too long. Turning radius is OK. We like having a toad for sightseeing and for on-the-road backup in case the MH breaks down. Good luck! Class C is the way to go! You will like the view from up high, and you will love the storage room in the basement.
Old 11-24-2014, 01:20 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies everyone!

The plan is to purchase the rig in either texas or florida then drive it across the US up to Alaska. I figured the 1500 mile trip after buying would be a good indicator before hitting the Alcan. Being you have a 94 can I ask you a few questions about your rig?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full.Monte View Post

I don't agree with the previous poster about "end of life" for a 2008 motor home. But the point about tires is a good one. Motor homes last as long as a car if well maintained. The engine life expectancy may be 1/2 of that of a car. A lot depends on usage and storage conditions. That being said, I wouldn't buy a used MH and then immediately head for Alaska. You don't have to spend too much time on this site to find out that almost every motor home needs things fixed. I would drive that Motor Home on a "lower-48 test run". Distance is up to you as long as you can test out ALL the on-board systems yourself. I say that because the further into Alaska you get, the farther from parts and a good selection of RV technicians you will get. Better to fix problems on your home turf than while on the road, if possible. Our 27.5 ft Class C is good in boondock situations. We don't get turned away because our rig is too long. Turning radius is OK. We like having a toad for sightseeing and for on-the-road backup in case the MH breaks down. Good luck! Class C is the way to go! You will like the view from up high, and you will love the storage room in the basement.
Old 11-24-2014, 02:10 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Try to get the newest 28da as possible. Ones I see in RV trader are way overpriced. The newer Ford chassis is pretty rugged and the V-10 has a good reputation. The later models also have the 5 speed auto trans too.
RV tires generally age out between 6-8 years, depending on where and how it was used. A reputable tire dealer can check the tires on any Rvs you look at.
Get all service records of any Rvs you are interested in and do a carfax too. You can usually tell by a walk thru and walk around if the coach has been well maintained but a good RV mechanic can save you thousands in the end by having an inspection.
Florida should have a good selection...check the classifieds at TRVN.
Lastly get a check list to help you check all systems etc. you should be able to find with a search here or on TRVN.
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 04:06 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Travel View Post
Thanks for the replies everyone!

The plan is to purchase the rig in either texas or florida then drive it across the US up to Alaska. I figured the 1500 mile trip after buying would be a good indicator before hitting the Alcan. Being you have a 94 can I ask you a few questions about your rig?
I have a 2004, not a '94. But you can ask questions if you like.
Old 11-24-2014, 04:24 PM   #7

Quote:
I have a 2004, not a '94. But you can ask questions if you like.
Thanks again for the responses everyone. I meant to type 2004,sorry!

How is the rig holding up (Mechanical and visual)? Is there anything you would want to change with the unit? How are the slides holding up? Does it drive pretty well at high speeds (55-60 mph)? Any leaks that you have encountered? Anything else you think someone looking at this model and about your year should know? Thanks!

garykk-
Do you mean the 2008 and newer fords? From my research I have found this is the first year for the improved v10

Thanks again everyone!

Chris
Old 11-25-2014, 09:01 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Don't know what year Ford added it. But on our 2012 WB Vista on an F53 chassis, it had 360 HP, 5 speed trans, tow haul mode and a front sway bar
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 01:09 PM   #9

My rig is a Workhorse with the 8.1 L engine, so my comments may not relate to the Fords now being used. Here are things that have either been problems or have needed maintenance/attention.

1. Tires replaced.
2. Awnings age/crack in the sun in storage.
3. Decals delaminate from sides. I would only buy a painted one next time.
4. Slide is a bit quirky. Needs well-charged batteries to work.
5. Auto Park brake j71 is a PITA. Got stranded once.
6. Vapor lock problems on hot days and uphill climbs. Fixed, I think...
7. Heater didn't work at 9 degrees. Sail switch stuck.
8. Entry stairs need lubing OFTEN. I replaced mine finally.
9. Replaced incandescent interior lamps with LEDs.
10. Sideways winds on the road (trucks and buses) make it squirelly to steer. Several fixes possible.
11. Waxing is a pain.
12. Replaced overhead vent lid. Age.
13. Sealed the roof seams against rain.
14. Added GPS, TPMS, Video recording pointing forward.
15. Fixing rear camera wiring...not reliable...in process.
16. Shut-off switch on engine battery for storage. Saves battery.
17. Refrigerator is unreliable operating on propane. Need to know how to clean out the orifice so that it always works. Spiders invade during storage....they like the smell of propane. Learn or pay $$$.
18. Installed a decent inverter to operate TV on house batteries.
19. Changed oil & air filters, oil.
20. Wondering why my coolant slowly disappears while driving.
21. Wish I had a solar system.
22. Replaced headlight module that had water in it.
Motor home purchased used in 2011.

There are probably more, but that's a good start. Like I said before...you will have a similar experience no matter what motor home you buy, but not likely the same list.
Old 11-25-2014, 03:57 PM   #10

Thank you so very much for all this great info! Sounds like all in all it is small upkeep problems rather than one huge recurring problem. With your info I may change my search criteria to as early as 2004 now. Now I can check with the current owners in the areas of the problems you have encountered.

From what I am hearing during my research maybe the Workhorse may be a better option has I have heard less negative comments regarding that setup.

Chris

Quote:
My rig is a Workhorse with the 8.1 L engine, so my comments may not relate to the Fords now being used. Here are things that have either been problems or have needed maintenance/attention.

1. Tires replaced.
2. Awnings age/crack in the sun in storage.
3. Decals delaminate from sides. I would only buy a painted one next time.
4. Slide is a bit quirky. Needs well-charged batteries to work.
5. Auto Park brake j71 is a PITA. Got stranded once.
6. Vapor lock problems on hot days and uphill climbs. Fixed, I think...
7. Heater didn't work at 9 degrees. Sail switch stuck.
8. Entry stairs need lubing OFTEN. I replaced mine finally.
9. Replaced incandescent interior lamps with LEDs.
10. Sideways winds on the road (trucks and buses) make it squirelly to steer. Several fixes possible.
11. Waxing is a pain.
12. Replaced overhead vent lid. Age.
13. Sealed the roof seams against rain.
14. Added GPS, TPMS, Video recording pointing forward.
15. Fixing rear camera wiring...not reliable...in process.
16. Shut-off switch on engine battery for storage. Saves battery.
17. Refrigerator is unreliable operating on propane. Need to know how to clean out the orifice so that it always works. Spiders invade during storage....they like the smell of propane. Learn or pay $$$.
18. Installed a decent inverter to operate TV on house batteries.
19. Changed oil & air filters, oil.
20. Wondering why my coolant slowly disappears while driving.
21. Wish I had a solar system.
22. Replaced headlight module that had water in it.
Motor home purchased used in 2011.

There are probably more, but that's a good start. Like I said before...you will have a similar experience no matter what motor home you buy, but not likely the same list.
Old 11-26-2014, 07:49 AM   #11

Workhorse motor homes are no longer made. Fords are. For the money you intend to spend, you might be able to get a diesel. I don't know how short a MH you can get in a diesel. I'm not sure your conclusion is correct about Workhorse being more reliable than others. If you want to look at problems associated with various motor homes, I would check the chassis forums. Work from chassis type back to brand name of MH.