RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2019, 05:57 PM   #1

Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
HELP House Batteries not charging with Gen

Please help: House batteries not charging when generator is running. Dry camping at Hershey. House batteries are dying. No green charge Charge light in Magnum panel over front seat.
Checked all breakers and fuses. Reset battery and inverter main switch in battery compartment. Reset inverter.

Any ideas please..!!

Jim P.

pameridan04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2019, 06:08 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
DON"T run them down any more!!! For a short term fix get a plug in 3 stage battery charger. Larger is better. Disconnect the inverter charger and charge them with that. It will buy you time until you can figure it out and save the batteries.

Then measure the output of the Magnum at the inverter/charger interface. Do you have more than 13v? Move on and check each connection until the voltage is not there. Watch out for fuses that look like terminal blocks and breakers that have pop up flags.

Call Magnum. They will walk you through testing. Please let us know how you make out. Perhaps give us the model of the Magnum. Someone here may be able to offer help.

33' 2008 National Tropical on a Freightliner chassis.RVM#189
Kahoona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 06:14 PM   #3

Hi,

Just to be sure we are talking about the same thing....a converter changes 110V AC to 12V DC for battery charging. An inverter takes 12 V DC and turns it into 110V AC. I had the exact same problem. You can see the advice I received over on the Workhorse Chassis Forum. I would disconnect the wires on the output s9ide of your converter and turn on the generator. If you get 13-14.2 volts output from the converter, it would appear to be working. Also, check to see that you are getting 110V AC from the generator to the converter input.
Old 09-12-2019, 06:33 PM   #4

Did you find the breakers on the inverter itself ? Many have push button breakers.

You can start the main engine to send some charge into your dieing batteries.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 06:35 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full.Monte View Post
Hi,

Just to be sure we are talking about the same thing....a converter changes 110V AC to 12V DC for battery charging. An inverter takes 12 V DC and turns it into 110V AC. I had the exact same problem. You can see the advice I received over on the Workhorse Chassis Forum. I would disconnect the wires on the output s9ide of your converter and turn on the generator. If you get 13-14.2 volts output from the converter, it would appear to be working. Also, check to see that you are getting 110V AC from the generator to the converter input.
His rig most likely has an inverter/charger. One unit that does both things.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 07:39 PM   #6

Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Problem Solved

Hi Guys: I was at my wits end. I tried everything I knew. My batteries were dying even running my generator. It is still hot and humid here I figured I was in for a miserable night without air. I was intermittently running my engine so my batteries would not deplete more than half way. I was going through my manuals but could not find a breaker or fuse that was associated with the problem.
There was a Phaeton parked across the way. I went up and knocked on his door and explained my problem. The owner Gram said the same thing happened to him. He came over and said open up your Generator cover, a Cumins 7K. There are two breakers up in the left hand corner. One 30 amp was kicked. I reset it and bingo, charging light in Magnum panel back on, house batteries being charged. Remember this when your house batteries stop charging.!!!!! Ahhhhhhh sweet air and power.
Thanks for the quick replies, but I never would of guessed about the generator breakers.
pameridan04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 06:21 AM   #7

Glad to hear and thanks for posting up the resolution.
We all forget about those breakers on the genny from time to time.

Tags
batteries, charging, house batteries