RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2010, 08:44 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Help picking A-Bus 40 or 43

I'm looking to replace my 07 42QRP with an 2010. If anyone has comment(s) as to plus/minus of the two lengths that would be great. My concerns are not floor plan etc but handling/ride. If I do the math the 40 has a wheel base that's 57%, pretty good, the 43 works out to 56% but has a tag. How do the two differ in the wind/cross winds, overall ride/driver comfort. Thank you!

wardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2010, 09:16 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Anyone with a 40 Allegro Bus please comment, I'd love an owners perspective.

Old 01-26-2010, 08:27 PM   #3

American Coach Owners Club
I bought a new 2010 43 QGP, I had a 98 37ft Discovery. I love how stable the Bus is on turns, trucks passing and winds. My old Discovery had the wal mart wobble very bad but not the tag axle Bus. Although I am not very happy with the harder ride up front. This in my opinion is due to the heavy front end and tire pressures to support it. Love the stability !
Eric
Green D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 11:07 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Stay with the tag axle. My none tag does pretty good, but it took a lot of add-ons to make it that way. If I ever buy a newer one it will have the tag axle.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 05:35 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Eric & Jim,

Thank you for your thought's. I think I'll stay with the tag. I went from a gas coach that was all over in windy conditions strait to the tag so I don't know what a well designed non-tag rides like. In my old coach sometimes my wife would go to the back (7 mile bridge in the keys with a 15-20mph cross) because she could not relax. In my 42 w/tag we can drive in comfort with a Lake Wind Advisory and she's fine, me too.

If anyone has an A-Bus 40 and thinks otherwise please chime in.

Thanks guys,

Tom
Old 01-27-2010, 05:47 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Eric,

What chassis did you get, Spartan or Powerglide and did you avoid the 2010 urea?
Old 01-27-2010, 06:44 AM   #7

American Coach Owners Club
Wardy, Yes i did beat the urea and i planned it that way. I also went with the PG, liked some of it's features and no finger pointing if problems arise.
Eric
Green D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 06:44 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
07 to 10

From what I have heard I would be very concerned about the 2010 diesels, all of them. The emission controls are constantly needing service.
By the way how much do you want for your 07? Thanks.
brandontext is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 05:42 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
07 to 10

Brandon,

I just couldn't pull the yes trigger fast enough to get a 2010 w/out urea. Really I like the interior better on the older coach's, less "bling". So I still have my coach but I had all the visible rust treated with: Rust Converter ("1" Step Rust Killer™) And it does appear to work but time will tell. I will have the 2 area's to far gone repaired & then maybe next year a new coach depending on the urea issue. I was offered (2 dealers) my coach and 108-110 to get into a 2010 with a 350K list.
Old 02-03-2010, 05:58 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
What the heck is urea? I have a 40' Phaeton and have had no problems with rust. I have not been anywhere near the sea or Salt Lake City. $350 less 35% is $233, less $108 difference is $125 for your motorhome. Be careful. The markup on new motorhomes is very large. Also, when you drive them off the lot, you can audibly hear them depreciate. Thanks, John Brandon
Old 02-04-2010, 04:36 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Brandon,

Urea is the stop-gap (I hope!) measure to meet the 2010 emissions requirement. Any over the road diesel that is manufactured after Dec 31 2009 must meet these requirements. Urea (yes part of what makes pee well, pee) is injected in the exhaust, urea-SCR catalysts....

35%, not on a quality MH, should top out at 27% for any current production MH.

Tom
Old 02-05-2010, 07:30 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
My friend, define UREA as something to break or replace for the diesel manufacturers. Why not buy a one or two year old never used motorhome? Marshall's Travelland in Buda Texas went out of business. The 2009 40' Phaeton they had was sold for $160,000. That's not bad.
Old 02-09-2010, 12:01 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

I've had two Allegro Busses - a 2004 40' on a single axle Freightliner chassis and a 2007 42' opn a Spartan tag axle chassis.

There's no comparison. Go with the tag. Every diesel pusher has pretty much the same rear overhang. You need "X" number of feet to fit the engine, transmission, cooling package, and a stubby driveshaft before you hit the rear axle. It doesn't matter if your coach is 30' or 60' long. The overhang will be the same. This overhang contributes to the "tail wagging the dog" effect. Shorter coaches tend to get pushed around more by 18 wheeler bow wakes and high winds than longer coaches do. With a tag axle you have an extra set of tires behind the rear axle that act as an anchor of sorts. The tag axle coaches really drive straight as an arrow and are a much more enjoyable ride. They also give you more rear axle capacity, which can be challenging in a single axle coach with all the weight that's going into them nowadays. For the most part I think you'll find most tag axle owners don't want to go back to a single axle coach one they've had a tag.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 01:35 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
My brother worked at a dealership in FL up until Dec. 2008. They carried multiple lines of motorhomes including the ones discussed in this forum. He said all had at least 35% markup and some exceeded 40%.

Since you are asking for suggestions, I would recommend you buy a year or two older, avoid the emissions problems, and save some money. It is true they are discounting MHs drastically. However, there is the initial depreciation when you drive it off the lot to consider.

Stay with the tag.