RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-04-2019, 06:28 PM   #1

How Bad Is Tiffin's Insulation?

I keep reading in other forums on how great the insulation is in Newmar's and Entegra's and how not great it is in Tiffin's. Since I have my decision down to these three lines, how much sub standard is Tiffin's all around coach insulation to the previous lines mentioned and how does it work keeping the coach cool/warm?

Desiday is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2019, 06:38 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Well, all I know is that Newmar has great insulation, or at least the two Dutch Stars we ordered did. Entegra is supposed to be as good but no actual experience. I haven't heard that Tiffin wasn't as good.

Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 08:26 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
How Bad Is Tiffin's Insulation?

2different systems .. tiffin uses styrofoam or similar sandwiched between inner and outer wall and framing and pressed . Like a cooler I think it would work good. What they donít do well or at least didnít a couple years ago when I looked was the front and rear end caps. In the example I looked at it appeared like there was no insulation but that was a 06 model .... You loose a lot from that missing area
Entegra and newmar donít build a sandwich wall they build a wall like a house a ďhungĒ wall. They use fiberglass batting in the space between the frame studs then glue the siding fiberglass to the frame. What they also do is put that fiberglass insulation over the front and rear frame before the caps are installed.
On the tours we took , they touted the better heat control and additional quiet.
BillJinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 08:49 PM   #4

This question keeps coming up...……

One thing I have never been able to get is a real answer to what happens to Newmar's batt insulation after a couple of years and 30,000 miles. Gravity works and road bumps and vibrations will have a tendency to cause the batt insulation to compress toward the bottom of the pocket for the insulation.

I do know from our build that the front of the 2019 Allegro Bus cap is insulated and the rear wall of the closet has a layer of radiant barrier applied.

heathtx
heathtx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 09:44 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
I don't know if this information will help or not, maybe if others with different coaches chime in, but after 3 months of full timing in KY, average weather of highs mid 40's and average lows of mid to high 20's, our monthly cost of electricity is ~ $150 . Being newbies I asked the campground manager how we compare and she was amazed at the low cost of electricity. We are all electric, keep the coach at roughly 68 degrees and the wife does 4 - 5 loads of laundry every week.

Before I get flamed, I realize there are a lot of variables to what each persons cost's will be but, I thought I could give an example to help with the OP's original question.
Home State is Kentucky
brandss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 10:49 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
I can't compare a Newmar to a Tiffin since I have never owned a Newmar. I can tell you that we have been in weather from the low 20s to 105 and have never had a problem keeping comfortable in our Phaeton.
'12 Jeep JK Wrangler Sport or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 07:12 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
I can't compare a Newmar to a Tiffin since I have never owned a Newmar. I can tell you that we have been in weather from the low 20s to 105 and have never had a problem keeping comfortable in our Phaeton.
That is why I wanted to ask this on the Tiffin thread. I'm sure with how such a beautiful coach that Tiffin builds, they would lack in insulating it. Does anybody know of any R value ratings to compare the manufacturers?
Desiday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 09:35 AM   #8

I canít speak about a Newmar, yet to own one but have owned several Tiffins. I have learned that an exterior windshield shade will help in hot weather better than any difference in wall insulation will make. Doesnít do much in cold weather but I was amazed at what my Magnashade did for cockpit heat.
Old 01-06-2019, 12:24 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
We owned a 2015 Phaeton prior to getting our Neemar Dutch Star. I don't think the Tiffin insulation was terrible, but there is a difference. What's especially noticeable is watching TV in the rain. We had to crank the volume up in the Phaeton. Much quieter in the Newmar.

Randy, Donald and Zoe (Rat Terrier)
2018 Newmar Dutch Star 4369 K2/2016 Jeep Cherokee High Country
Desertboyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 09:59 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
The most common complaint about Tiffin's insulation is NOT the insulation qualities regarding heat transmission, but rather its propensity to transmit sound. IE rain. I have seen zero problems with the insulation in my 32SA, from Texas summer heat to winter at 15-20 degrees. If it rains, you will hear it, which is something I actually like. Hard foam is not nearly as good a sound insulator as 'glass batts. However, it is a better insulator in terms of R-value.

In a motor home, I would hope any batt type insulation would be stapled in, or all the jostling is going to see it collapse/shift downward over time leaving gaps at the top.
Old 01-09-2019, 05:44 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desiday View Post
That is why I wanted to ask this on the Tiffin thread. I'm sure with how such a beautiful coach that Tiffin builds, they would lack in insulating it. Does anybody know of any R value ratings to compare the manufacturers?
hmm.... maybe this was mis-typed??? but if it is correct..
i hear 2 statements...
1. tiffin makes a beautiful coach
2. I'm sure .... they would lack in insulating it

regardless of the beauty, if you are sure of their lack, and this is something that matters, then, i would narrow my choices to sob....

we are camping now... 2 nights ago... the weather was cold... we sat with a group outside on a Red's ext tv, watching clemson wallop alabama and froze our rears off.

in our small gasser, we turned the fireplace on, and were toasty warm all night! get a fireplace! did not enable the furnace...

enjoy the process of shopping.
rr
rockriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 03:56 PM   #12

I havenít owned a Newmar and can only speak to our Phaeton that we currently own. As full-timers we have been in temperatures from the low 20ís to 100. The heating and cooling systems have always worked to keep us comfortable (we do have an all electric coach).
One key learning for us is that the windshield is a major source of heat in the summer and the door area lets in cold air especially when windy. We have learned to cover those areas as needed and use our solar/night shades to help insulate.
Old 01-13-2019, 09:31 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desiday View Post
I keep reading in other forums on how great the insulation is in Newmar's and Entegra's and how not great it is in Tiffin's. Since I have my decision down to these three lines, how much sub standard is Tiffin's all around coach insulation to the previous lines mentioned and how does it work keeping the coach cool/warm?
I have picked up on this general impression of insulation of these manufactures as well. I think sometimes people just repeat what they have heard without really considering the facts.

It is fairly easy to look up the R-value of fiberglass batt insulation and other foam insulation. Depending on the type of foam the R-value is equal to or better than batts. So if the wall or ceiling cavity thickness is similar batt insulation cannot be better than foam but could be worse depending on foam type. I think I have heard that the Newmar wall is 1/2 inch thicker than most others, could be a small advantage. If you watch the Newmar construction video it shows the insulation in the walls and it is not held in place. Over the course of driving there has to be some settling of the batts resulting in gaps, most of which will never be seen.

As for sound deadening the batts are quite good, so that could certainly be an advantage. The primary reason batt insulation is still widely used in residential construction is it is cheap, both material cost and it's easy to install by low wage labor. There are far better insulative materials available but they come at a higher cost.
Dave11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 09:07 AM   #14

All RVs have walls that are 1 1/2 inches thick. They either use foam or fiberglass, and you can only prevent so much heat transfer with this. I think people's comments here are rather subjective because, in order to accurately measure heat transfer, you would have to run some scientific tests. One person mentioned end caps. That's a good place to add insulation. But one thing we are all overlooking is the dark colors that new RVs are painted with. Dark colors absorb heat much faster than light ones. In fact, light colors reflect heat. When I see a black motorhome go by me, I wonder if they can stand the heat inside.

jpstakun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tiffin