Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-22-2018, 05:51 PM   #1

How do you turn the fridge off?

So I've made a new observation today.

The refrigerator and microwave clock seem to stay on, even when I flip the soft-batter-off switch on my way out of the coach. I've stored the RV for quite a while with the simple off switch. Maybe I just go lucky? Does the fridge go off only when I flip the hard battery disconnects in the basement? How long can (my) coach keep the fridge on (with I assume are the house batteries).

Thanks!
ls1ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2018, 06:37 PM   #2

The items are probably running off the inverter. The inverter cable typically goes directly to the battery thru the main switch.

You could try shutting off the inverter.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 06:38 PM   #3

Turn off the switch then open refer door and see if the light is still on...
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 06:44 PM   #4

Yes, I feel like it's running off the inverter. I don't know of any harm in turning off the inverter while storing for a few weeks?
ls1ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 06:58 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The inverter and alarms are directly connected to the house batteries. The salesman switch by the door and the disconnect switch in the house battery bay do not remove power from them. Some folks want a full disconnect - and add another disconnect switch at the batteries.

The disconnect for the chassis batteries is a total disconnect as nothing is directly connected to the chassis batteries.

Assuming you are not plugged into shore power when storing. If your chassis batteries are staying fully charged for several days with the refrigerator operating - makes me wonder if you have the solar option on your coach?

As for turning off the refrigerator. Options are to turn off a switch in the refrigerator if so equipped, turn off the inverter, or flip the breaker in the main breaker panel if you have a separate refrig breaker (this is what I do).
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 06:59 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
On the front panel of fridge, hold down the off switch and it will shut down. A red led will light up when it is off. When you push it again it should turn green and fridge will start up.
Old 05-22-2018, 09:39 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
I have a maytag residential. Dug around a bit to figure out how to turn it off. Press and hold the temp button, and all the LEDS will come on. Which logically signifies power is off.
Old 05-29-2018, 02:29 PM   #8

Power Control Panel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls1ashley View Post
So I've made a new observation today.

The refrigerator and microwave clock seem to stay on, even when I flip the soft-batter-off switch on my way out of the coach. I've stored the RV for quite a while with the simple off switch. Maybe I just go lucky? Does the fridge go off only when I flip the hard battery disconnects in the basement? How long can (my) coach keep the fridge on (with I assume are the house batteries).

Thanks!
We leave ours plugged in during storage, but I shut of the fridge. On ours, you do it simply by holding down the temp switch until is goes to 'zero'. It's a Frigidare. But I'm wondering - when you don't want it or the microwave running from the batteries, can't you just shut the inverter off using the power control panel about the driver's seat?
Old 05-29-2018, 03:24 PM   #9

Just shut off the main circuit breakers.........

Now, on our coach, the main 120v panel is obstructed by the bed when the slide is in (I don't get this design decision at all). Given we use the fridge until we get back "home" and the bedroom slide is in, I'll just take the panel off outside behind the fridge and unplug it after we shut it down inside. Won't get into the "whys", just how we do it.
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge