RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-05-2014, 10:27 AM   #1

How do your headlights work

2012 Allegro open road when my highbeams are on the lowbeams go off it is dark right in front of the RV, my Chevy Traverse leaves both on when in highbeam. On a dark road the highbeams are worthless because the light is so far ahead and dark for at least 100 ft in front. Would appreciate any ideas to change or is this wired correctly.

Thanks

Frank 39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2014, 04:35 PM   #2

Poor Lights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank 39 View Post
2012 Allegro open road when my highbeams are on the lowbeams go off it is dark right in front of the RV, my Chevy Traverse leaves both on when in highbeam. On a dark road the highbeams are worthless because the light is so far ahead and dark for at least 100 ft in front. Would appreciate any ideas to change or is this wired correctly.

Thanks
Welcome to the world of RVs. Every single coach I have had, had crapy lights. The first thing I always do is install HIDs. It is normal for many 4 lens light systems, to put the low beam off when the high beam is on. Many that have fog lights will put the fog light off when on high beam as well. Go figure. I did two post of the light change for my Outlaw. You will love HIDs if you decide to add them. I also like to use Rigid LED lights for fog lighting and spot.

Here are the posts.

OUTLAW Mods and Easy Fixes

OUTLAW Mods and Easy Fixes

Take Care,
Jay

Old 03-05-2014, 05:59 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Never tried mine. About nightfall, I try to be sitting by the fire with a beer.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 06:01 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard View Post
Never tried mine. About nightfall, I try to be sitting by the fire with a beer.
Yeah that is the best way. Unfortunately for me, my rigs are working so they are driving at night a lot. I am jealous of you.
Old 03-05-2014, 06:14 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ok, first let me describe three different headlight systems.

One has a single lamp on each side, At one time the Brights were 36 watts and the dim's 52 which is why they now say "High" and "Low" beams.. Now they are both the same power.... Usually.

In this system only one element is on at a time... Either high or low

Then they put the quad systems out, 2 lights on each side... on these systems originally the outside lamps were the old dual power lamps, and the inside's were 36 watt high beams only.

Many today one set is high beam, one set is low beam.. IF, and I stress IF yours turns on one pair of lamps for high and one for low, You can do some creative wiring so both sets work on high.. But .. Well. if you can not figure it out I would not wish to give you instrucitons.

That said: you may need simply to re-aim the high lamps.

Also, my coach had Fog Lights which do a good job of filling in close to the motor home.
Old 03-05-2014, 09:58 PM   #6

04 Allegro 35da... Dangeriously weak low beam light. I just bought 4 LED 27 watt lights on EBAY.... 2 Driving lights on a seperate switch aimed 30-40 degrees down as they are VERY bright and I do not want to blind on coming traffic. My goal is to see NOT be seen. Not DOT approved thus maybe illegal... time will tell. 2 additional lights will be hooked to high beams.

If you add lights.... get a second opinion. Drive at night with a friend driving towards you. If they say TOO bright adjust down and try again.
anderson2624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 06:16 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank 39 View Post

Thanks
As others have mentioned, many motor homes do not have very good headlights. Not sure if that's because there simply isn't that much testing / regulations on it but it is an unfortunate fact.

As far as the low beams not staying with the high beams, that's very common with many cars. Also most cars will disable fog lights when you switch on the high beams. That's just the way it is.

It's possible that you might be able to aim your headlights better to get better vision but upgrading to an HID system as another poster did might help a lot more.
michelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 06:29 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Really don't know the answer as I'm sitting still when it's dark. My night driving ended long ago.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 10:17 PM   #9

Hey, I drove my 2007 Tiffin Open Road for the fist time during the night. Boy, was the aiming of the head lamps off. Anyone know know where the headlamp adjusting screws are?

PapaBobby is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lights