RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-18-2018, 01:35 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
How is this used? Confused

Does this do anything. I read the manual and I swear, I don't know what it does.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_6cc.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	223029  

brandss is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2018, 01:40 PM   #2

Foretravel Owners Club
https://liferebooted.net/life-reboot...20HDMS9100.pdf

saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 01:45 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandss View Post
Does this do anything. I read the manual and I swear, I don't know what it does.
My best guess is it moves your tv antenna to find better reception. Let us know.
saddlesore is to fast for me.
Bill
WILDEBILL308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 01:45 PM   #4

Quote:

Apparently you have a Tiffin coach. That is the remote for the OTA antenna to turn it toward the TV transmitter for best reception. Hopefully that antenna has been replaced with something that actually works since the MiniState unit was junk to begin with and they usually stopped working after a couple of years..
Old 10-18-2018, 02:09 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lllkrob View Post
Apparently you have a Tiffin coach. That is the remote for the OTA antenna to turn it toward the TV transmitter for best reception. Hopefully that antenna has been replaced with something that actually works since the MiniState unit was junk to begin with and they usually stopped working after a couple of years..
I think we have a winner. I've tried everything and thought I was just missing something. Assuming this is bad, any recommendations to replace it.
Old 10-18-2018, 02:20 PM   #6

You should also have a small remote control.

There should be a power connection and wires to the OTA antenna if I remember correctly (not in my coach).

It is my understanding (and it seems to be so on my Tiffin) going around the coach, position 4 points to the front, 8 left side, 12 rear, 16 right side, so if you know where your OTA signals are being broadcast from you have a better chance to fine tune the reception.
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 03:50 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betr2Trvl View Post
You should also have a small remote control.

There should be a power connection and wires to the OTA antenna if I remember correctly (not in my coach).

It is my understanding (and it seems to be so on my Tiffin) going around the coach, position 4 points to the front, 8 left side, 12 rear, 16 right side, so if you know where your OTA signals are being broadcast from you have a better chance to fine tune the reception.
Thanks, thats great info. I do have the remote but it really doesn't seem to do anything. If i'm understanding it correctly once you move the antenna it should show what position it is and how many channels and thus leave it in the direction of the most channels.
Old 10-18-2018, 04:03 PM   #8

Ministate Antenna

As noted in another reply, this antenna is basically useless. It may rotate, and then again, it may not. Seems to work better in warmer temperatures. Second problem is it is, again basically worthless from a reception standpoint. Sitting in my drive way in southeast Houston, this antenna will not receive 3 of the major local stations. My computer with a flat plate antenna in bedroom window receives all channels. Jack antenna on my previous rig got all Houston stations. Since we do not use OTA tv in most places, I just ignore it. Not worth it to me to invest $300+ on a new OTA antenna. YMMV.
B52Rnav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 04:15 PM   #9

Quote:
Thanks, thats great info. I do have the remote but it really doesn't seem to do anything. If i'm understanding it correctly once you move the antenna it should show what position it is and how many channels and thus leave it in the direction of the most channels.
The remote should rotate the antenna.

I start with where I think it should point and set the box there, and try to do so before scanning for channels. Then scan for channels and see what I have.

Given how well the channels look, I’ll rotate it one way or the other to see how OTA reception changes which may be different for different channels given how close you are to the source broadcast. When using the remote, paying attention to how many times I push the button so I know what position it’s moved to (in theory at least) without looking at the box (in theory).....

I’ve never figured out what the “Channel” number on the box display correlates to......

Seems to work for us, not sure how good it is, but seems to work when I expect it to.

The other thing I may do when scanning for channels when also hooked up to cable is actually watch the scan and switch the OTA amp on / off depending on if the scan is on OTA or cable....

in any case, all this is supplemental to my Direct TV / Traveler.
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 05:08 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Send a message via MSN to KennyGolub
Ours was useless in a 2015 Bus.

We just had the service folks at Tiffin replace it with a new OTA that doesn't require that control box. Works great too!

-
KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 08:44 AM   #11

Just replaced mine with a Wingard Rayzar so far works great picking up channels 50 miles away. This is a high def antenna got it on Amazon time will tell how long it will last so far so good
rick h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 09:03 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Rick, I think I'm going to order the Rayzar as well. Glad to know its working well. I'm in an area where I might get Cincinnati, Louisville, and Lexington stations. Going to be here a while so I'll be able to give it a good test.

Tags
fuse