RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-30-2016, 07:46 PM   #1

How is your Allegro 36LA Perform under load

Hello, I was curious if you own the 36LA model, would you please share the below information:

1 - What is your RPM under your normal load during your trip on "flat" country road, and the RPM when you hit a stiff grade.
2 - What is your average gas mileage (MPG).
3 - What is the noise level at the cockpit, does the coach insulated enough to reduce the engine noise.

Thank in advance for your sharing.

tamdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2016, 08:35 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamdle View Post
Hello, I was curious if you own the 36LA model, would you please share the below information.

Tamale,

1. At 70 mph I'm running about 2200 RPMs. Very quiet at that point other than a lot of wind noise. Before the 5-Star tune, the transmission would downshift two gears (5th to 3rd) and the revs would slam to around 4500-5k quickly. Since installing the tune, I have yet to go over 4K, even climbing hills here in PA.

2. Best was 6.04 and worst was 5.1 according to beer math and the Scangauge.

3. I insulated the doghouse with dynamat, and that has cut down cockpit noise, but the big reduction was from the 5-star. Highly recommended.

2015 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 36LA
"Enterprise"

Old 05-31-2016, 07:34 AM   #3

One key to managing rpm on any grade is not using cruise control (which I don't use very often anyway, even in my cars).

If you carefully modulate the throttle, and can live with loosing a few mph you can either simply keep it a your flat cruising rpm or by gently pushing the accelerator have the tranny only kick down one gear which puts you into the 3500 rpm range which is not that much louder than the 2200-2600 range, and much easier on your gas mileage vs. the double kick down to 4500 rpm that happens when on cruse control.

Also using tow haul expands the rpm range up by about 400 rpm before kicking the tranny down and helps keep your speed up, and tow haul has no negative impact on flat roads, as your cruising rpm remains unchanged.

I'm usually not concerned about loosing a few mph on a normal grade, and if you are ok with that, you can usually stay in the 2200-2600 rpm range. And even on stepper grades I've been able to keep it in the 3500 rpm range most of the time.
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 07:40 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by A2tanker View Post
Tamale,

1. At 70 mph I'm running about 2200 RPMs. Very quiet at that point other than a lot of wind noise. Before the 5-Star tune, the transmission would downshift two gears (5th to 3rd) and the revs would slam to around 4500-5k quickly. Since installing the tune, I have yet to go over 4K, even climbing hills here in PA.

3. I insulated the doghouse with dynamat, and that has cut down cockpit noise, but the big reduction was from the 5-star. Highly recommended.

"Enterprise"
Thank A2, it sounds very good, if you don't mind I am asking, what would be the cost for the 5 stars tuning?

Also, I know this is GAS coach, and does not have the airbag for suspension, but how is the ride, is it very rough?

And what is your annual maintenance cost? Do you do it yourself or have the dealer performing the maintenance?

I was planning to purchase a diesel coach, due to its chassis with the airbag for a smoother ride, as well as the engine break for downhill drive. With my allocated budget, I could only afford a new entry level diesel coach. I do not want to buy a used one which possible of taking someone else trouble. Having that said, after searching and looking at many entry level diesel coaches, granted, one brand may be better than another, but they were all not that quality for the money that I want to spend. I know that I will get what I pay for, to get a better diesel coach, I have to spend at least $50,000 more.

When I look into the alternative, I found that Tiffin Allegro Gas series seems to have a very impressive quality and layout. It struck me that with the budget of the entry level diesel, I could get a top of the line Gasser. The Tiffin coach seems to be many times better than the entry level diesel coach with the GAS chassis. For that reason, I hope that I could learn some about the GAS coach performance to see if it would be a wise choice to do so with the budget that I currently planned for.

I know that many diesel owners would not agreed with me, few days ago, I would not agreed with me either. Past weekend, due to the holiday, I had more time to go shopping for RV in detail and found very disappointing including the diesel coach that I thought I will be settled for. This is why I began to think about the alternative. Not sure if I am right, but it seems to me that for the same or less money that I could spend on an entry-level diesel model, I could have a top of the line gasser with many times better quality.

Hope that the seasoned RV would correct me if I am wrong. My criteria would be:

1 - Diesel coach must be less than 26,001 lbs.
2 - Right around 35 feet.
3 - MSRP should be around $220,000... --> net after discount would be around $150,000.

Tiffin top of the line Gasser may only cost around $125,000 after discounted.

That is all I could afford.
Old 05-31-2016, 08:06 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betr2Trvl View Post
One key to managing rpm on any grade is not using cruise control (which I don't use very often anyway, even in my cars).

If you carefully modulate the throttle, and can live with loosing a few mph you can either simply keep it a your flat cruising rpm or by gently pushing the accelerator have the tranny only kick down one gear which puts you into the 3500 rpm range which is not that much louder than the 2200-2600 range, and much easier on your gas mileage vs. the double kick down to 4500 rpm that happens when on cruse control.

Also using tow haul expands the rpm range up by about 400 rpm before kicking the tranny down and helps keep your speed up, and tow haul has no negative impact on flat roads, as your cruising rpm remains unchanged.

I'm usually not concerned about losing a few mph on a normal grade, and if you are ok with that, you can usually stay in the 2200-2600 rpm range. And even on grades, I've been able to keep it in the 3500 rpm range most of the time.
Thank Betr2Trvl for your help to explain more about the operational of the gas engine. When driving my car, I am using mostly cruise control to manage the speed and gas mileage, however, like you, I don't like to use cruise on uphill because it seems to work the engine so hard. I rather losing the speed and rpm instead of working the engine on stiff grade. For that, I do appreciate your comment

Having that said, when driving my big custom van on the downhill like some area in Colorado, to help the brake from overheating, I used the lower gear to manage the slower speed. If I am doing the same on the 30,000 lbs. Gasser RV, would that be okay or will it act any different? I may have thousand of cars and trucks trailing behind me, but would that be a big deal?
Old 05-31-2016, 08:40 AM   #6

Always have tran. in tow/haul mode - engine braking helps going down hill. Main thing about newer gas models is that fuel filler door is in the back of unit and not on the side, which sometimes makes getting refueled a problem. If you get a gas MH, you might want to have a empty 5 gal. gas can with you. I get a local garage to change my oil (mobile 1) once a year and lube suspension for around $100.00. Dave
allegro1x is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 06:56 PM   #7

36 LA

Have ours for almost 3 yrs so far and maintenance costs have been 1 -2 do it yourself oil changes per year. Less than $100 per year so far.
Ours is completely stock with no upgrades in sound insul'n , chips or suspension mods. I am more than satisfied as it is. I do not like cruise control and have no desire to use it is it kicks the engine down to lower gear too often just to maintain a higher speed which is not needed. So what if I slow down a bit on uphill grades as I make up for it going downhill. Noise is not an issue either.
Old 06-01-2016, 06:00 PM   #8

Quote:
Tamale,

"Enterprise"
Hello A2,

After learning from you about the 5STAR TUNING, I research a little more and found that this is the "third party" application. I have 2 questions for you:

1 - Was it an easy installed?
2 - Does it void your chassis warranty?

Thanks,
Tam Le
Old 06-01-2016, 07:25 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Hello A2,

After learning from you about the 5STAR TUNING, I research a little more and found that this is the "third party" application. I have 2 questions for you:

1 - Was it an easy installed?

2 - Does it void your chassis warranty?

Thanks,

Tam Le

Yes, it is aftermarket, but well worth the investment. Look up 5-star tune on the Ford Chassis Thread in this forum. There are thousands of posts talking about the pros/cons. It'll probably answer all your questions. It was a breeze to install (through the OBD II port) and can be quickly reset to factory tune before taking in to the dealer.

As for your previous questions, I specifically went with a gas coach just because I knew I could do all of the periodic service myself. Oil changes take just a few minutes, and that V-10 is very simple to keep in great running shape.

As for the ride, it'll never be a Cadillac. But after doing the "cheap handling fix" it has dramatically improved the overall characteristics of the coach. It's much easier to drive. This is another topic on the ford chassis thread that'll be hours of interesting reading. But I can tell you I swear by the CHF.

Hope this helps. I've never regretted buying the Tiffin. They're amazing.

"Enterprise"
Old 06-01-2016, 07:57 PM   #10

Quote:
Yes, it is aftermarket, but well worth the investment. Look up 5-star tune on the Ford Chassis Thread in this forum. There are thousands of posts talking about the pros/cons. It'll probably answer all your questions. It was a breeze to install (through the OBD II port) and can be quickly reset to factory tune before taking in to the dealer.

As for your previous questions, I specifically went with a gas coach just because I knew I could do all of the periodic service myself. Oil changes take just a few minutes, and that V-10 is very simple to keep in great running shape.

As for the ride, it'll never be a Cadillac. But after doing the "cheap handling fix" it has dramatically improved the overall characteristics of the coach. It's much easier to drive. This is another topic on the ford chassis thread that'll be hours of interesting reading. But I can tell you I swear by the CHF.

Hope this helps. I've never regretted buying the Tiffin. They're amazing.

"Enterprise"
Thank A2,

I was impressed when looking at the Tiffin GAS products at the dealer. I thought with the price point, it is in the range of "top-of-the-line" gas model with the quality built at the price at least $15,000 to $30,000 cheaper than the entry level diesel with much lower quality built.

Thanks for all of your help.
Old 06-01-2016, 08:23 PM   #11

We had a 2016 Tiffin 36LA for about 9 months. It was a great floorplan and Tiffin makes a quality product. Handling was OK after I installed Safe T Plus steering stabilizer, rear track bar, and did the cheap handling fix. Tiffin also paid for a front end alignment which also helped a bit with wandering. Noise wasn't a problem for us even at higher RPMs. I installed the 5 star tune and that made it handle shifting better through ascents. My main reasons for not liking it was brakes and too much play in steering. I always used tow/haul mode and it worked pretty good, but I was used to a diesel truck and 5th wheel which had an exhaust brake for descents. I got caught off guard a couple of times going down pretty steep descents and I just didn't feel comfortable with the brakes or "engine braking". As much as we liked everything else about the 36LA, driving it wasn't for me so we found a great deal that we couldn't pass up and got a DP.
John (USAF Retired) & Cheryl (Teacher) Boo (15 year old cat), 3 hooligan 1 year old cats. Future RV ???; Past RVs: '16 Newmar Ventana 3709, '16 Tiffin Allegro 36LA, '14 EverGreen Bayhill 295RL, '12 Voltage V3200, '09 BigHorn 3400, '06 Jayco Octane, '04 Jayco Baja
JCGibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 08:52 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCGibson View Post
We had a 2016 Tiffin 36LA for about 9 months. It was a great floorplan and Tiffin makes a quality product. Handling was OK after I installed Safe T Plus steering stabilizer, rear track bar, and did the cheap handling fix. Tiffin also paid for a front end alignment which also helped a bit with wandering. Noise wasn't a problem for us even at higher RPMs. I installed the 5 star tune and that made it handle shifting better through ascents. My main reasons for not liking it was brakes and too much play in steering. I always used tow/haul mode and it worked pretty good, but I was used to a diesel truck and 5th wheel which had an exhaust brake for descents. I got caught off guard a couple of times going down pretty steep descents and I just didn't feel comfortable with the brakes or "engine braking". As much as we liked everything else about the 36LA, driving it wasn't for me so we found a great deal that we couldn't pass up and got a DP.
Hello JCGibson,

You and A2 mentioned about "Cheap Handling Fix", I was wondering what do mean by that?

Thanks.
Old 06-01-2016, 08:55 PM   #13

Quote:
Hello JCGibson,

You and A2 mentioned about "Cheap Handling Fix", I was wondering what do mean by that?

Thanks.
This is a post dedicated to it: Cheap Handling Fix
John (USAF Retired) & Cheryl (Teacher) Boo (15 year old cat), 3 hooligan 1 year old cats. Future RV ???; Past RVs: '16 Newmar Ventana 3709, '16 Tiffin Allegro 36LA, '14 EverGreen Bayhill 295RL, '12 Voltage V3200, '09 BigHorn 3400, '06 Jayco Octane, '04 Jayco Baja
JCGibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 05:19 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCGibson View Post
This is a post dedicated to it: Cheap Handling Fix
Thank JC.