RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-10-2013, 07:06 PM   #1

How long at Red Bay waiting for Wetbay repair?

We purchased an 06 Phaeton and learned about the Wetbay problem after the purchase . Luckily we are within the timeframe that Tiffin will fix it for free at the Red Bay facility on a first come first serve bases (no appts allowed).

My question is...has anyone gone there for just this repair and how long did you have to wait before you got in? I read one blog where the person talked about weeks waiting to get in. We are working parents, so we can't just drive there and stay for weeks.

kimfromsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2013, 03:17 PM   #2

If you go at their busiest times, you can expect to spend weeks, if you go at their slowest times , just a few days. We were there in early April and waited 2 weeks without getting it done. Had to leave for a doctor' appointment. We asked when their slowest times were and went back in August, we were out of there in three days. Just pick your time carefully.

Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:21 PM   #3
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Doesn't Tiffin make appointments?

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:32 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Well I know one thing about Tiffin, You cant get better customer service or factory tours

Dont they still have full hookup for you to park and wait???
Old 01-11-2013, 03:49 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by F239141 View Post
Well I know one thing about Tiffin, You cant get better customer service or factory tours

Dont they still have full hookup for you to park and wait???
Yep, but there again, you may have to wait at the busiest times. We went down in mid December to watch our new 43' Bus being built and just before we got there they were waiting in dry camp 3-4 days to get in. Luckily, we got right in and things thinned out as we got closer to Christmas. Camping with full hook ups is $20 a night unless you're in for warranty work, where it's free. They just started a new reservation system for repairs and I don't know how it works. Factory tours are great, but watching your own Bus being built was just unbelievable. Don't miss it if you intend to special order.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:52 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigman1 View Post
Yep, but there again, you may have to wait at the busiest times. We went down in mid December to watch our new 43' Bus being built and just before we got there they were waiting in dry camp 3-4 days to get in. Luckily, we got right in and things thinned out as we got closer to Christmas. Camping with full hook ups is $20 a night unless you're in for warranty work, where it's free. They just started a new reservation system for repairs and I don't know how it works. Factory tours are great, but watching your own Bus being built was just unbelievable. Don't miss it if you intend to special order.

If I were a man with $$$$$ to buy something, I would have to get a Tiffin, When I was growing up we had an Allegro, it was 11 years old and the factory treated us like we bought a brand new one. When I was 10 (1993) we were in Red Bay for the last Allegro Family Factory Extravaganza ....... I remember they gave us a list 10 lines long to fill out with things wrong, well we had about 12 on the list and they fixed everything for free (it was a 1982) and they gave us a roll of the orange rubber stripe, new alllegro decals, tire cover, the plasitc Allegro plates that were by the doors, floor mats IIRC there was 300 Tiffin products there and they offerd that for everyone!!

Was up there 14 years ago (I was 16) and dad almost was going to go to Bankston and get a new Zepher, but he decided that our rig (mine now) was good enough and that money was better off going to trips and other things.... I think dad knew he didnt have much time left on this earth, and he wanted to make it good as it could be for me and him

Sorry so off subject ........ Good luck to the O.P. to get his Rig fixed, be sure to see the Tiffins and shake their hands!!!!!
Old 01-12-2013, 01:07 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
No appointment for wet bays

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 View Post
Doesn't Tiffin make appointments?
Hi Dirk;

Effective January 2nd, Tiffin will only make appointments on line or by phone to Peggy Elliott if the coach is still in warranty or in it's 2nd year. Another words, for the first two years of new coach ownership. TMH will not make appointments for wet bay repair, slide repair or roof rail replacement for any coaches, including new ones. All repairs for anything else for older coach's are first come first served. I think I have this correct.

Of course, Bob Tiffin or one of his son's can make exceptions. Lot's of unhappy folks over on TiffinRVnetwork over this policy.

Bob
CoastieSCPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:19 AM   #8

Thanks everyone. We are working parents with kids in elementary school, so we'll have to plan this out good to go at a not so busy time. We may have other work done also, so that might help since we'd have an appt for that. And if it won't work out, we'll try to get an exception.

Thanks again for all the replies.
Old 01-13-2013, 12:20 PM   #9
srh

Monaco Owners Club
Off the subject, but somewhat relevant, I thought I had a major problem with one of my slides; took a couple of pictures and wrote a letter to Mr. Bob Tiffin. I was pleasantly surprised that I received a call from him. He had asked the mechanics in the shop, he told me, and said the repair was not quite as extensive. He even offered to have my coach taken to a local repair shop and they will work with me supposedly pay for the repair even though my coach was well over the warranty. I took the coach and had it fixed, costing less than $150 and decided it was not unreasonable to pay for it myself knowing the age of the coach. I have also called their Service Department at Red Bay, and most of the time, have received very helpful suggestions and have solved my problems. The bottom line is, in my opinion, Mr. Tiffin appears to be very sincere and will do what he can to please his customers. I have no doubt once you are at Red Bay you will be treated right. Good luck!
Old 01-29-2013, 03:51 PM   #10

Can anyone tell me what is the problems with the wet bay and what a wet bay is & which slide is causing problems, what do I look for on my 2008 35 ft. TGA?
fordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:01 AM   #11

You can search online for Tiffin Wetbay and you should find a lot of posts about it. I never really found anything specifically written by Tiffin. But I called Tiffin after purchasing the unit to ensure that all recalls had been done (since we'd been told they had). Turns out the recalls had been done, but the service tech suggested I look for this WetBay issue. I don't think it was ever offically called a recall.

We were told to check at the point of the water input (city water hookup) on the Driver’s side, all the way across to the passenger’s side for any evidence of the board decomposing (Soft spots, bulges, spongy spots, etc.).

If you call and talk to them they should be able to tell you if your year/model should be of concern.

If you find the issue, you need to call and tell them so they can log it. To get it fixed for free, you have to take your unit to Tiffin in Red Bay for the repair.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:59 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
On my 05 Bus by lying underneath the wet bay i could stick a screw driver through it very easily....i knew i had a problem...rather than wait in Red Bay i picked up the parts and did it my self....i eventually found the leak at the shower drain...was not tightened when built.
Arty13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:26 PM   #13

I just got back from RB last week. Drove up from Tampa. I called Peggy Elliott and she confirmed that right now (Feb) is their "slow" time - when the snowbirds aren't migrating. She said if I arrived on Sunday noon, they'd likely have the wet bay, DS slide floor, and roof rails completed by the end of that same week.

So I drove up, arrived around 10A on Sunday, checked in at the campground desk, and got my "service number". The next morning (Mon, 7A) Norris knocked on my door to go over my concerns (I only had the three service campaign issues). At noon, a tech came by (Dustin Mills) who actually inspected all three, determining that the roof rails were fine. On Tuesday late morning, I got a call on my cell to show up at bay 45 asap for the wet bay.

I unhooked from the site, pulled into the bay, and Curtis proceeded to gut the old floor. He finished everything by 3:30 (his going home time), except for the leak test. He said I'd have to come back at 7A the next morning (Wed). When I returned on Wed, he was done by 9A, and I went back to my campsite.

That evening (around 5P) I got another call from a scheduler telling me to be at by 49 by 7A the following day (Thur) for the slide floor. I showed up early, and they let me back in. By 11:30A everything was buttoned up, and I hit the road for Tampa.

I'm sure as spring approaches, more snowbirds will be heading north, and you'll have to compete with them. My recommendation, contact Peggy (peggy.elliott@tiffinmotorhomes.com) and ask if they're still running about a week for the services to be completed. She'll give the obligatory "I can't guarantee anything" line, but I'd trust her. It worked for me.
erkme73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:54 AM   #14
srh

Monaco Owners Club
erkme73: What model/year Tiffin Coach do you have?
Thanks,

Tags
repair