RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-11-2014, 06:45 PM   #1

How long will my healthy fully charged batteries run my refrigerator

New to me 2012 tiffin allegro 36la. Manual is very vague. Dry camped and wondering how long to stay away.

Solask is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2014, 06:52 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
On LP gas, you are only using 12 v to sense temperature and ignite gas when cooling is needed. The interior light also uses 12 v. Not much power, your interior lights will use more power than the refrigerator. Hard to estimate how long the batteries will last, you didn't mention how many and how many amps they are. In addition, you use 12 v for LP gas detector, water heater electronic board and ignition, water pump, etc.

Best way to monitor batteries is take volt readings. 12.7 v is full charged, when you get to 12 v your batteries are 50% depleted and should be recharged.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 07:14 PM   #3

Really depends on what else you are running on the 12 volt system. I can tell you that my refrigerator will run for 1 to 1- 1/2 days when parked after a trip aside my house. That is with nothing else on, door remaining closed, and summer temps. The battery voltage drops into the 11 volt range and can run it longer but it is hard on the batteries to discharge them under 50%.
kab449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 08:11 PM   #4

Appreciate guys, I will file this stuff away. Only the fridge is on.
Old 06-11-2014, 09:12 PM   #5

I know I should know this but I believe I have 2, 6 volt batteries...
Old 06-12-2014, 09:29 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkh View Post
New to me 2012 tiffin allegro 36la. Manual is very vague. Dry camped and wondering how long to stay away.
This Mail says you have a 2012 tiffin but your signature shows a 98 Winnebago so which refrigerator are we talking about one has a residential refrigerator and one has a probable nor cold one uses batteries to ignite the gas and one uses batteries to run the residential it would be helpful to know which one
Old 06-12-2014, 09:45 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill2 View Post
This Mail says you have a 2012 tiffin but your signature shows a 98 Winnebago so which refrigerator are we talking about one has a residential refrigerator and one has a probable nor cold one uses batteries to ignite the gas and one uses batteries to run the residential it would be helpful to know which one

Dometic 4 door LP fridge Bill. Not residential. This coach does not have an inverter.
Old 06-12-2014, 09:58 AM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Dometic 4 door LP fridge Bill. Not residential. This coach does not have an inverter.
Another factor to consider in battery life is that some Norcold 4 doors have a 12 v heating element in the divider between doors. It is not switchable, but does shut off when voltage is low. 12 v heaters use a lot of amps.

Bob & Donna
Old 06-12-2014, 11:40 AM   #9

After 18 hours with only the 4 door dometic fridge running, batteries at 12.48 volts. They are 13.48 volts after 2 hours of running genset.
Old 06-12-2014, 12:01 PM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
After 18 hours with only the 4 door dometic fridge running, batteries at 12.48 volts. They are 13.48 volts after 2 hours of running genset.
If that voltage was immediately after generator charged batteries, it's a surface charge and not accurate. Batteries must 'rest' a few hours for the charge to penetrate into each lead plate in battery.

You might want to read this link to learn about electrical systems in your RV.

The 12volt Side of Life (Part 1)

Bob & Donna
Old 06-12-2014, 03:56 PM   #11

Thanks Bflinn, Great document. Kinda discouraging to learn 100k plus MH's don't have good charging systems.
However, I am dry camped for now, something I do very seldom. I leave the RV every morning and come back in early evening. During this time, only the fridge is running. I don't start the genset when coming in for the evening because it's already after generator running hours in the park. Fridge is on its own for 18-20 hours. First day of this the battery was at 12.48 volts based on my inferior voltage meter provided in the coach ( hahaha). I run genset for 2 or 3 hours in the morning before leaving again.
So, I really have option to let the batteries rest before checking them after charging. I just hope this pattern of use is compatible with the intended coach design.
Old 06-12-2014, 06:47 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Appreciate guys, I will file this stuff away. Only the fridge is on.
No, several other systems are drawing power too, like the Explosive Gas (Propane) Detector. ALL THE TIME.

Quote:
I know I should know this but I believe I have 2, 6 volt batteries...
You have one 230 amp hour 12 volt battery that, for ease in handling, has been broken into two halves.. (Yes I know each half is a six volt battery but please think of them as one, it makes so many questions go POOF).

Seriously, You are good for several days, if you need to know for sure you would have to put an ammeter in the lead and check with the fridge "lit" and "unlit" (operating and resting) average teh two and divide into 115,, that's how long you can safely run. If you add a decent solar panel, that becomes "Forever" basically.

I have over 500 amp hours of battery but I also have more draw (I run about 20 amps at night) so ... Around 10 hours is my limit.

Tags
batteries, refrigerator