Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-09-2018, 08:46 AM   #1

How to replace the 3-way city water ball valve

I have a 2015 Phaeton AH slowly leaking water from the 3-way valve when in the city water position. I have a new valve for replacement and was told by a tiffin rep that all I had to do was unscrew the two screws on the back bay wall holding the valve in place and the valve would be able to lower and easily replaced. Not so and it’s very difficult to work behind the wall. Would someone who has replaced the valve please assist as I don’t see a way to access behind the wall even if the wall is loosened.

Willyboy
OnTheRoad917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2018, 10:01 AM   #2

I have no advice for you but interested in the responses you get as I would like to replace my valve also. Also, where did you purchase the valve?
Best of luck to you in changing out your valve!
Merry Christmas
In Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 12:21 PM   #3

I have a 2016 40 AP allegro bus..my fresh water tank fills up even when valve is in “City Water” position..and then begins to drip thru the overflow port outside.....I HAVE TO ASSUME..that the “City Water/ Tank Fill” valve is the culprit.. while I have not yet called Tiffin...it looks to me the only way to access this Valve is to remove the white painted metal showd covering these parts in the water/sewer bay? That is a lot of work to get to that valve in my view???

I am currently at an RV Prk in Gold Canyon, Arizona and will call Tiffin tomorrow (Monday, Dec 10, 2018) to find out becuase it has to be a valve issue??

Its got to be fixed!!
Largeandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 12:38 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Largeandy View Post
I have a 2016 40 AP allegro bus..my fresh water tank fills up even when valve is in “City Water” position..and then begins to drip thru the overflow port outside.....I HAVE TO ASSUME..that the “City Water/ Tank Fill” valve is the culprit.. while I have not yet called Tiffin...it looks to me the only way to access this Valve is to remove the white painted metal showd covering these parts in the water/sewer bay? That is a lot of work to get to that valve in my view???
I am currently at an RV Prk in Gold Canyon, Arizona and will call Tiffin tomorrow (Monday, Dec 10, 2018) to find out becuase it has to be a valve issue??
Its got to be fixed!!
Before you go to the trouble of replacing the valve, here's something you can try that worked on our Allegro RED. Remove the valve handle and file about 1/8" from the stop area on the handle allowing it to close further. I did that with our RED and it stopped the filling. Also, if you have a shutoff valve in the line from the tank to the water pump, turn that off. Quite often it's the check valve in the pump leaking allowing water to backflow into the tank. That will let you know for sure it's the valve and not the pump leaking back.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 01:34 PM   #5

My vote is for the pump check valve leaking....
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 11:06 PM   #6

Thank you Bob...I am betting you are correct! Thank you for the usefull advice..I will try your possible solutions...and the pump check valve makes a lot of sense...

Appreciate your comments and advice!!!
Old 12-10-2018, 07:16 AM   #7

Lt. Dan

A thank you to you as well sir. I appreciate your comments as well...makes sense.

Happy Holidays and thanks again!
Old 12-10-2018, 07:06 PM   #8

Thank you all for your advice. Will try your suggestions as I discovered that replacing the ball valve is a tedious test while working in cramped quarters. The white back panel when unscrewed only moves about 4 inches and to work behind the panel is tough.

Thanks again. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all.

Bill
OnTheRoad917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 06:56 AM   #9

Tried both closing valve from fresh tank to pump and “filing” 1/8th iff the valve handle.

Still getting slow leak to fresh water tank when valve in “city water” position. Leak is however slower so thinking it is the valve itself..may try to replace valve seat today and if that does not work I guess I have to take that darn white metal shroud off to replace the entire valve?? Dont know yet...

Valve seat can be unscrewed pretty easily from middle of face of the valve with an open end wrench.. if this woks... this will be lots easier than full valve replacement given it is hard to get to..

Will let you guys know the results and thanks very much to all of you. Nice to meet some decent and helpful folks online in todays uncivil society...

Thanks Guys...
Old 12-11-2018, 05:07 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
My water tank was filling and overflowing when the valve was in the city position. As a quick fix I added a valve (on/off) from HD in series with the water line going to the tank. Easy to do with out removing the panel. When I'm on city water the valve is closed. When I need water in the tank I open it and switch the fill valve to tank fill. It works great I going leave it that way. I hope this helps..... Chuck
CharleyL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 08:41 AM   #11

Hey CharleyL, would love to see a pic of how you have done this. I have tried all solutions herein, my 3 way valve still has a slow leak to the fresh water tank when in the "City Water" position. Curious as to where your HD valve was installed to accomplish your situation?

Thanks in advance CharleyL...hoping I can avoid the hassle of replacing that 3 way ball valve with all the work that is required to remove that white metal panel others have spoken about here...

Best

Largeandy
Old 12-14-2018, 03:22 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Added fill tank bypass valve

Andy here are photos of my fix.
Old 12-14-2018, 03:24 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
adding photos can't photos too load!!!
Old 12-14-2018, 03:40 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
PHOTOS

I did it! The water line with the added on/off valve comes from the 3way valve and go's to the water tank.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010746.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	137.1 KB
ID:	229020   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010747.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	150.3 KB
ID:	229021  

Tags