Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-26-2011, 07:09 PM   #1

How to turn off residential refrigerator

I'm trying to find out how to turn off the GE residential refrigerator in a 2011 Phaeton. It's most likely the same refrigerator as in the other Tiffin models.
Obviously, I can turn off the current to the appliance but I was looking for some combination of buttons located within the refrigerator which when pushed would turn it off. Anyone have the answer? Thanks.
Bob Egan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2011, 07:35 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
I think you just crank back the thermostate all the way warm and that will shut the cooling off. the light still works. i belive this is how all the fridges are set to work when you see them at lowes or home depot.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 12:03 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Not quite true, Modern Ice Free residential fridges have a heater in them (Believe it or not) and that heater will remain on so long as the unit is plugged in, Now a very few of them have an option to turn off SOME of the heaters.. but not all of them.

I'm afraid unplugging it or tripping the breaker is the only way to COMPLETLY turn off a residential fridge.

NOTE: there is one other posibilitey if you can get to the plug/outlet

Many hardware stores and electrical stores carry a cord with a plug/outlet at one end and a SWITCH at the other... Perfect for this type of thing Just make sure it's a 3-wire, not a 2-wire Christmas tree special.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:51 AM   #4

Thanks, guys
Turning the thermostat up didn't turn off the appliance and to this point disconnecting the power seems to be the only way.
Bob Egan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 06:37 AM   #5

When I close up my rig I turn down the thermostat in my refrigerator and that stops the cooling process. I leave the doors ajar so air can circulate so to speak. Then on my inverter panel I disable the inverter, that removes any AC power to the rig. My last step is to turn off the 12volt power as I exit the door.
wagon217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 07:11 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yes but some folks like to use the Motor home for other stuff during the "Off season" For example. Ever since I got it it has been my "Ham Shack" so back when I had a house.. I still visited the motor home nearly every day.. No fridge, No water, Just heat or A/C on occasion. (For about an hour a day)
Old 05-02-2011, 02:49 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
In line switch

I got tired of switching the breaker off, it s in the rear closet and was a pain to get into when the slide was in. I installed a switch in an extension cord. I plug the refrigerator into the extension cord and the cord into the plug at the rear of the frig (access from outside). I drilled a small hole near the frig and mounted the switch near the frig. Much easier to turn ours off now. Cost about $10 for everything.
FlaSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 07:43 PM   #8

The following is the method I used.

There is a panel mounted below the ref held in place by four wood screws. Remove panel and install hinges to the bottom of the panel so when opening the panel it opens toward the floor. Install a magnet latch to hold this door closed.

Remove the ref plug from the dedicated outlet accessed through the exterior access hatch mounted behind the ref. Using a three wire extension cord weave it from the exterior compartment where the ref is normally plugged into the dedicated A/C outlet.

Drag the Ref A/C plug back into the space under the Ref near the new opening panel.

Hard wire the other end of this extension cord into an electrical box through an A/C electrical switch that turns an outlet on and off (This outlet is the type that is sometimes found in residential bathrooms). I just let the box sit loosely on the floor.

Plug the Ref A/C wire into this new outlet. Plug the extension cord into the dedicated outlet accessed through the exterior access hatch.

After turning the Ref off by using the thermostat control, then turn Ref power off using this new switch which is conveniently accessed by opening the new hinged opening.

'10 Phaeton 36 QSH-
SteveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 08:06 PM   #9

Send a message via Yahoo to wmpbauer
I had the same problem....can't turn off the fridge. Here's what I found out...

To store coach:
1. Turn off the inverter above driver seat.
2. Turn off the 12v switch by the door to the coach.
3. Lock up.
4. Open the coach battery compartment and flip off disconnect switch.
5. Open the chassis battery compartment and flip off disconnect switch there too.

There is still some phantom power draws that are legally required to be wired around the shutoff and disconnect switches like the LP and CO monitor/alarm systems and certain clock and engine computerized systems. When I talked to both Tiffin and Freightliner, I got that same answer.
Sun City Center, FL
wmpbauer is offline   Reply With Quote