Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-12-2017, 08:47 PM   #43

Tiffin Owners Club
I posted earlier in this thread and had multiple issues. Tiffin offered to take my coach to Red Bay and deliver it back when finished. I didnt like the idea of someone else putting 1200 miles on my rig but appreciated them going above and beyond. Everything was fixed and fingers crossed!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2017, 09:34 PM   #44

I have but one suggestion if you have a question about the build quality of a Tiffin Motorhome. Take a week off and travel to Red Bay Alabama. Take the Tiffin factory tour and watch the construction in progress. Unlike some other manufacturers the tour takes you directly on the floor and you can talk to the workers doing the job. As a lot they are happy and careful in what they do. The plant is well lit, clean and well organized.

I am trained as an Industrial Engineer, I have seen the inner workings of many plants. The Tiffin plant is exceptional and if they turnout a bad unit it was just that, one bad unit. As in many plants, that likley occurs just after they start a new model down the line.

I am sure there are other great motorhomes on the market, but my wife and I are still insanely happy with our 2001 Tiffin Allegro Bus. It has taken us on adventures I only dreamed of as a younger man. The compartment still seal, and everything works, and it drives like a dream. It managed to get us to Dead Horse Alaska and back last year. It only lost the radiator and fan to the evil Dalton Highway. That is pretty good construction if you ask me.

It is currently sitting in the yard, ready to leave on our Nova Scotia to Key West run this year and I have no doubt we will have yet another delightful adventure.

Disclamer: I had never heard of Tiffin until I was looking at motorhomes on the web about 4 years ago. As I was looking at a list of class A pictures, my wife looked over my shoulder and exclaimed: "Look at all those cabinets" and I quickly narrowed my search to a Tiffin product. She still loves the fact that we have empty cabinets every time we travel.
APhotoWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 02:02 PM   #45

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
2014 Allegro LA36 Problems

Well I originally posted that I have had minor problems with my LA36. Guess I was a little uninformed. I have had major and minor problems and now hopefully all is repaired.
The MAJOR problem with the LA36 is the frame welds on the drivers side break. While at camp RB mine and two other LA36s had this problem repaired. Tiffin knows of the problem and redesigned the frame configuration on current 2017 model F53 frames. Not sure about the in between year models.
Other MINOR problems have mostly been with the items Tiffin installs from other manufacturers. Antennas, step motors, etc.

I highly recommend you have the welds inspected if you own a 2014 and newer Allegro LA36 Open Road. Tiffin will repair the problem under warranty.
flywithcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 02:23 PM   #46

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I am very happy that my 2015 Phaeton with 23K miles has never been back to Red Bay or the dealer. I did have A/C problems that were fixed under warranty by local RV shop.
Butte64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 06:28 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWRichard View Post
Absolutely none whatsoever.

I'm just making sure that anyone who reads your posts regarding Tiffin service knows beforehand that you have no firsthand experience of it or how Red Bay actually functions.

And that maybe your gasser might be a lot more trouble free if you had availed yourself of Tiffin and their service.

I don't have time to go to red bay for service I should be able to get at a dealer. I think HGC was only responding to the OPs original post, and you DW are out of line. I'm very familiar with the dealership that that Mr Coleman bought his motor home from and they are borderline incompetent. I haven't had the issues he has had fortunately, and I'm grateful I haven't, because i don't have the time to drive from Michigan to red Bay Alabama and stand in line for day's week's or whatever. I think you owe Mr Coleman an apology
Old 03-17-2017, 07:23 PM   #48

No apology needed, or in the works.

So your dealer isn't the best at fixing things. It happens.

Find another.

He made his own bed by not being willing to be flexible in the least, or for that matter even getting anyone from the Tiffin family involved. Bottom-line, the FACT remains that he has no business commenting on Tiffin service, because he has never experienced it.

By his own admission and choice.

And I can guarantee you that his rig would be much more trouble free if he had.
DWRichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 08:38 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by icepick View Post
...I'm very familiar with the dealership that that Mr Coleman bought his motor home from and they are borderline incompetent... I think you owe Mr Coleman an apology
I think you missed the point. HGC clearly said his Tiffin had big problems, Tiffin had not fixed them, but he had never been to, nor ever intended to go to the factory at RB ... THEN HE WENT ON to negatively compare the product AND FOLLOW-UP SERVICE to Fleetwoods
Quote:
... concerning Fleetwood's service. And I have worked on two of them, one older(2001) and the other(2011). Both are solid units. But they HAVE used factory service and were impressed by the whole experience and the repairs were successful.
And both of you keep referring to how bad his DEALER is --- NOT Tiffin. Perhaps if HGC used RB factory service, he too might be "impressed by the whole experience..."

THEN HGC tries to make it personal with his
Quote:
...One other thing DW, with your seemingly zealous affronts to me, I am wondering what relationship you have to Tiffin?
Perhaps he should be asked what relationship HE has with Fleetwood?

At any rate, I think if the readers want something to which they can truly compare I would encourage them to read the informative and highly entertaining blog by Dave and Brenda Bott regarding their experiences with Tiffin at www.outsideourbubble.com/2014-tiffin-allegro-bus-45lp-now-ordered

"Wise men still seek Him..."
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 02:18 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmsteader View Post
I have a 2007 Allegro Bay (a FRED unit) which uses a Freightliner chassis. To date I've not had any issue with the Parking Brake; however, I've heard of some horror stories relating to it engaging while driving.
It's my understanding that the parking brake is no longer made and parts are unavailable.
I'd like to be pro-active and have a backup plan in case something happens.
Any ideas or recommendations?
I am looking at a 2008 35QBA with front engine. How do you like yours? Is it very noisy going down the road and at night if utilizing generator? Just curious with your overall experience. Thanks
Frenchiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 11:24 PM   #51

We have our third Tiffin. I would only own a diesel. Had one gas and said we will never own another one. First Tiffin was a 13 Breeze. Had an issue that only Tiffin could fix so off to Red Bay 2000 miles away. They got us going and service was great. 30,000 miles later that same year we traded for a 37 AP. Had a couple of issues but Tiffins great service had us up and going . Traded for a 2016 Allegro Bus UP. 600 horse. love it when we get to enjoy it. WE have 23,000 miles on it and really enjoy the coach when we are not in repair shops. First 20,000 miles mostly 70% Quality control issues. You name it and the workers really screwed up. Now it is components. WE are retired and bought an RV to travel not sit in repair shops or waiting for someone to show up in the resort we are in. Tiffins support and sending us parts has been GREAT but I am older and tired of being a mechanic. Mr . Bob Tiffin has assured me he will get their Quality Control under control. A friend just sold his 2016 Bus, to many probems.
loren harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 06:57 AM   #52

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Tiffin Quality Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by loren harris View Post
we have our third tiffin. I would only own a diesel. Had one gas and said we will never own another one. First tiffin was a 13 breeze. Had an issue that only tiffin could fix so off to red bay 2000 miles away. They got us going and service was great. 30,000 miles later that same year we traded for a 37 ap. Had a couple of issues but tiffins great service had us up and going . Traded for a 2016 allegro bus up. 600 horse. Love it when we get to enjoy it. We have 23,000 miles on it and really enjoy the coach when we are not in repair shops. First 20,000 miles mostly 70% quality control issues. You name it and the workers really screwed up. Now it is components. We are retired and bought an rv to travel not sit in repair shops or waiting for someone to show up in the resort we are in. Tiffins support and sending us parts has been great but i am older and tired of being a mechanic. Mr . Bob tiffin has assured me he will get their quality control under control. A friend just sold his 2016 bus, to many probems.
tiffin does have quality control. They control quality so well that it never gets any better then it's current state. It would be nice if they stopped controlling it and let it get better.
flywithcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 09:15 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchiegirl View Post
I am looking at a 2008 35QBA with front engine. How do you like yours? Is it very noisy going down the road and at night if utilizing generator? Just curious with your overall experience. Thanks
We have a 2007 Open Road FRED. My wife hates the transmission cooling fan that comes on when climbing a hill. Also when it stays in a lower gear on a long hill. Pretty noisy. Also get a fair amount of heat through the floor.
The generator under the bedroom would be a problem IF we used it at night. We don't
John Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 08:00 PM   #54

I don't think we need to rehash the gas versus diesel argument here. With a Tiffin gasser you get the same box as you would on an Allegro RED. Gassers have improved in recent years with things like Sumo Springs and heavier chassis. Lots of advantages to Diesels but at least with Tiffin I don't see a clear quality difference. Our 2014 36LA has had no significant issues in 14,000 miles. Some folks will have more. As I have said previously you do need to have a willingness to fix little things yourself. RV dealers vary greatly on the quality of their service. If I have a major issue I wouldn't hesitate to go to Red Bay even though it would be very inconvenient. This has nothing to do with the brand. If I had a Fletwood I'd go to Decatur. A Wiinebage I'd go to Forest City. Motorhomes are custom vehicles, built by hand, that are extremely complex. You want a company that will step up and deal with issues because every brand will have them.
rreichar is offline   Reply With Quote