Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-25-2011, 06:50 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
How Well Do Tiffin Coaches Hold Up?

I realize I may be starting a religious discussion, but I would like to get the opinion of some current or former Tiffen Phaeton or Allegro Bus owners as to the "wearability" of their coaches. That is, after 3-5 years, or even 10 years, do the drawers and doors still operate properly, cabinetry and flooring still look good, exterior still have that new coach sparkle? Engine still run well? All systems still working solid?

I'm looking closely at Tiffin versus Newmar and it appears that Tiffin has better value and pricing, a good reputation and a solid following. Is it just as good after you have had it for a number of years? Would you buy one again?

Thanks for your thoughts.
kcolivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2011, 07:12 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Phaeton Owner

I own a 2006 Phaeton and am the second owner. This is my 1st. RV and you are wise to seek others out for input. I did also and that is why I wound up with a Phaeton. The coach has been a joy for me and my family. It is 5 years old and still looks brand new. The exterior is as bright and shiny as the day i bought it. We have had no issues with the setup and general operations of the coach. My wifes only complaint was the washer/dryer combo. She would have much rather had the seperate units. I have called Tiffin on several occassions to get help and advise from their service department. They are "Super" if they dont have the answer they will get it and are very helpful with any questions I had. What I was told when I was looking that the Tiffin name alone is well worth the purchase. They are extremely owner friendly and sell a quality RV. I love mine and when it's time to upgrade I fill sure it will be another Phaeton.
FoxDen1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 07:53 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcolivier View Post
...the opinion of some current or former Tiffen Phaeton or Allegro Bus owners as to the "wearability" of their coaches.
I've got an '04 Allegro Bay gasser, third in line behind the Phaeton and Bus, that we bought in '09. Other than the Day/night shades which out here have a problem with the strings dry rotting, we've had no major issues with with the quality of the workmanship of the coach furnishings or equipment. Had one piece of veneer come of the edge of sliding bathroom door between shower area and kitchen area and one loose floor tile. I'd have no problems reccomending one, especially the Phaeton or Bus to anyone.
VSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 09:40 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
I have an '04 Phaeton that we bought new. It is on a Freightliner chassis with a Cat C7 engine and is 40' 6" long with three slides. Slides are electric and the leveling jacks are HWH hydraulics.

Currently we have over 50,000 miles on the coach and have experienced no major problems. Our Dometic fridge has had a little work and we replaced one air conditioner/heat pump.

Tiffin coaches are like most other brands in that problems do occur. Nothing so big and intricate can be built flawlessly. Many problems encountered are only difficult to some people, others especially those who are mechanically blessed, just fix them and move on.

Many problems are common across most brands such as the seemingly constant problems with Norcold and Dometic refrigerators or Atwood levelers but these are only installed by the MH builder and problems that occur with them past the MH warranty is usually handled directly with the appliance manufacturer.

And that is where the difference between Tiffin and other brands can be evaluated. Tiffin excels in their efforts toward service. Not that they will repair it free out of warranty but they will still repair, advise and assist you regardless if the trouble lies with something that they built or something that they simply installed and the age of your coach is not a factor.

If you are shopping for a new or used coach now is a buyer’s market and many choices exist. Just take your time and make sure the unit fits your needs and desires and do a diligent inspection. If used review the service and repair history.

Good luck.
Dadeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 03:01 PM   #5

If I can get by the first year without blowing up it may make it. Over 45 service issues to date and many very serious. I am far from the only one and most have cracked roof radius in time. We will see what year 2 brings before I give up.
Lault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 04:16 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I traded a 04 allegro bay dp in 09 and it was still very solid. The only reason I traded it was because I wanted one with slides. I bought a 06 Allegro Bay with twoslides.
Old 10-25-2011, 04:47 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
My 2007 Bus has held up great. The interior looks terrific. The only issues we've had were some windows fogging but Tiffin sent us new ones & I paid to have them installed. The exterior looks great but the basement doors could line-up better. I would definitely have Tiffin on my short list if I was shopping for a new rig.
Old 10-25-2011, 05:49 PM   #8

Not sure this is a good idea, but like the old tv show: you asked for it. 2003 Phaeton now 8 years young. Second owner in 2005 and first trip was to Red Bay for the falling apart front cabinets. Fixed great at no cost could not be happier. BUT, Mr. Bob has retired so it would not happen like that now. Since then most of the drawer supports have failed; would not be a problem but no longer able to purchase correct size replacement rear supports. Most of the 'plastic' cabinet door thingys have bent and been replaced with metal struts. The microwave died in Georgia then the fridge was recalled and the nasty gram from Red Bay said not our problem so of course it proceeded to die in Texas soon after. The slide topper delaminated and was replaced for others in Red Bay - not ours. Our charge solenoid was tested as no problem in Red Bay yet our house batteries have yet to be charged by the alternator while traveling. The cheap plastic undermount sink will not hold silicone (had it replaced in Red Bay - lasted less than a year) so it needs replacing annually. Now the sink has worn through and is such an odd size that NO replacement is available. Then there are the new alternator in Mississippi, the new starter in Indiana, and fog lights (thankfully available at McKinney) that lenses just "fall out" of so the entire unit needs to be replaced. The thetford needs replacing next, as the leaky part costs almost as much as a nice new one. Yet I can't wait to leave on the next adventure. Best wishes on your choice of coach and safe travels.
wkdwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 06:03 PM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcolivier View Post
I realize I may be starting a religious discussion, but I would like to get the opinion of some current or former Tiffen Phaeton or Allegro Bus owners as to the "wearability" of their coaches. That is, after 3-5 years, or even 10 years, do the drawers and doors still operate properly, cabinetry and flooring still look good, exterior still have that new coach sparkle? Engine still run well? All systems still working solid?

I'm looking closely at Tiffin versus Newmar and it appears that Tiffin has better value and pricing, a good reputation and a solid following. Is it just as good after you have had it for a number of years? Would you buy one again?

Thanks for your thoughts.
Hi

For what it's worth...
Here's something we came across in helping a friend research motorhomes:
Lemon Tiffin Motorhome | Tiffin Motorhomes | Tiffin Motorhome

Francesca
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 06:27 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post
Hi

For what it's worth...
Here's something we came across in helping a friend research motorhomes:
Lemon Tiffin Motorhome | Tiffin Motorhomes | Tiffin Motorhome

Francesca
So, what coach did you recommend to your "friend" then?
Old 10-25-2011, 06:34 PM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wardy View Post
So, what coach did you recommend to your "friend" then?
He's still looking, and Tiffin isn't out of the running...
One bad experience doesn't make a reputation, right?

Francesca
Old 10-25-2011, 08:01 PM   #12

I wouldn't pay much attention to that whole rant. Something is fishy IMHO. You can read that Bob Tiffin authorized a number of repairs and it isn't Tiffin's fault there were issues with the chassis, engine, gen, fridge, driving damage etc. Something just doesn't add up. Look at the timeline, it was delivered in Dec 2007 to the dealer and the author appears to be having all this work done in April 2010. What happened in that 2+ years? It had issues, but why?
Gouda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 09:08 PM   #13

Vintage RV Owners Club
I hope nobody thinks I'm trying to bad mouth Tiffin Motor Homes, about which I know only what I'm learning during this exercise with my Friend.
Who started out wanting a new trailer, I might add.
I posted that link only because the O.P. specifically asked in this thread about Tiffins, and I happened to remember that site.

Since Newmars are also under consideration, perhaps I should have gone on to say that Tiffin appears to have had fewer recalls than Newmar, at least according to what we found at the following recall site
Recall Notices for RVs & Campers - Winnebago, Fleetwood, Gulfstream, Jayco & more

Like I said, there are lots of ways to evaluate any potential purchase.

And now I'll bow out of this conversation, and go back to the "Vintage Owner's Club" where I belong!

Francesca
Old 10-26-2011, 05:54 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
That's the same with the post regarding the '03 Phaeton that had the cabinets falling apart as well and the drawers broken etc. Being the second owner how can you blame the factory for damage to an eight year old coach. Some of it could have been poor workmanship but if that were the case why only that coach?

Also the post said that Bob Tiffin had retired but I find that hard to believe since he is still there and very active in the day to day operations. Truthfully there are some concerns from Tiffin owners of what it will be like when he retires but that's totally unknown.

It's sad when someone is saddled with problematic rig, especially since it is a huge investment by any standard, and that possibility enforces the need for diligence when buying a used coach.
Dadeaux is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tiffin