RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Motorhomes Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-11-2018, 08:44 AM   #1

HWH hydraulic fluid reservoir access

I was looking for the hydraulic fluid reservoir and discovered that it was in back of the pump and hydraulic lines. There seems to be NO access to the reservoir to see the fluid level and certainly no access to fill the reservoir. Am I not seeing some access door or any way to be able to access the reservoir?
If it is what it is, do any of you have tips as to how to check and fill that reservoir?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2018, 09:13 AM   #2

It's basically by feel. Wipe it down well as best as you can first. The cap should come off pretty easily. Check the level on the cap, stick your finger in there, etc. Lights and mirrors might be helpful for some. Check with levelers up and slides closed. Use the HWH fluid. It's not as bad as you think.

pbucha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 11:05 AM   #3

Yeah, definitely not one of Tiffin's better ideas. On my Bus the whole hydraulic power unit is held in position by 2 studs at the bottom that pass through a piece of steel channel that has slots in it. by loosening the studs (nuts) I can slide the whole hydraulic unit forward in it's compartment, and can then get a light, mirror and a hand up to check fluid level and fill as needed.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 08:51 PM   #4
Commercial Member

honestly guys, hwh has no say in the placement of the pump and tank assembly.
when i go out on an assignment, i have to go thru the same contortions. tiffin isnt the worse for the difficult locations.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 09:00 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
It's definitely not one of Tiffin's best design elements. There seems to be enough slack in the hoses that it would be great if they could install the pump on a slide tray like the battery bay.
'12 Jeep JK Wrangler Sport and/or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 09:09 PM   #6

Ebay, amazon, and others have lots of choices in USB cameras. They are waterproof, have a light source, and focus real close. They are great for seeing up and around things. Worth the cost.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4-led-low-lux-luminate-waterproof-usb-wire-endoscope-spy-camera-1-.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	206777  
Old 06-11-2018, 09:29 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
For filling the hydraulic reservoir, I use a turkey baster if that is the correct name. It is a long plastic tube with a bulb on the top end. I also have another for filling the batteries if needed. They are cheap, around $1 at a Dollar General Store.

burfurd
Old 06-12-2018, 11:27 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Poor design by Tiffin.

Yep, have to find the darn plug by reaching over the unit, then unscrew it and look at the fluid level. I found a plastic funnel at a truck stop that reaches the hole, and you can still pour the liquid....I almost always overflow, but there is a breather hole on the plug, and any excess gets squeezed out.

simonsrf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 11:33 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
You can use a clean dowel, straw, stick or whatever to check the level. Reach over, unscrew the cap, stick the dowel in, pull it out and read the level. Maybe HWH should put a dipstick on the cap?
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 11:41 AM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbucha View Post
It's basically by feel. Wipe it down well as best as you can first. The cap should come off pretty easily. Check the level on the cap, stick your finger in there, etc. Lights and mirrors might be helpful for some. Check with levelers up and slides closed. Use the HWH fluid. It's not as bad as you think.
Other than being clear there is nothing "magical" about the HWH fluid.
Dexron type fluid is easier to find though.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 11:44 AM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post
You can use a clean dowel, straw, stick or whatever to check the level. Reach over, unscrew the cap, stick the dowel in, pull it out and read the level. Maybe HWH should put a dipstick on the cap?
My HWH reservoir is right out in the open and does have a dipstick. No idea why yours doesn't.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 08:33 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
My HWH reservoir is right out in the open and does have a dipstick. No idea why yours doesn't.
Because it's a Tiffin and the Tiffin guy designing that area was definitely out to lunch....for a number of years. Some will say this is a nit picking issue, but poor design is poor design, and Tiffin's years long refusal to address this issue is unforgivable.
Old 06-13-2018, 09:48 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Pigman,

I think it comes down to what things need to be done to service the unit. All of the solenoids and the motor are easy to reach when it is mounted like it is currently. What you give up is the easy access to the tank. Which areas require the most service? - usually the solenoids. How often do you need to get to the tank? - almost never.

I didn't like the design either but it is not an area on the motorhome that needs repair very often.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 10:35 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post
Pigman,

I think it comes down to what things need to be done to service the unit. All of the solenoids and the motor are easy to reach when it is mounted like it is currently. What you give up is the easy access to the tank. Which areas require the most service? - usually the solenoids. How often do you need to get to the tank? - almost never.

I didn't like the design either but it is not an area on the motorhome that needs repair very often.
I don't know how yours is set up but on my current Bus and a former 40' 2008 Bus I've had solenoid valves on both the motor side and the reservoir side. Both rigs have/had the same access issues. What makes it even more frustrating is that I've had to change one of the solenoids on the reservoir side 4 times trying to keep the front passenger side slide from creeping in. It usually works for a while then starts creeping again. I think they put it together with dirt in the system, but that's a problem I have to deal with. As others have pointed out, (including an HWH rep) different brands don't have this access problem. Anyone who's spent time under these on a creeper could probably come up with a number of other easier ways to access this unit. I certainly could.

Tags
fluid, hwh, hydraulic