Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-11-2017, 03:43 PM   #1

Hydraulic jack alarm keeps going off

My hydraulic jack alarm keeps going off every few minutes - a different corner - even though the jacks are full retracted. I hit the store button and then the off button and it good for maybe 10 more minutes.
2004 Allegro Bay - Workhorse
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2017, 03:54 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbob View Post
My hydraulic jack alarm keeps going off every few minutes - a different corner - even though the jacks are full retracted. I hit the store button and then the off button and it good for maybe 10 more minutes.
Something similar happened to me and it was due to my coach batteries being dead.
Adam1219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 05:34 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbob View Post
There are two types of sensors for the hydraulic levelers and you need to determine which type you have. One uses the level of the hydraulic fluid to determine if all jacks are back up. The other type uses a sensor built into the top of each jack. Look at the top of one of yours and if there are two wires coming out of the top then you have that type. These sensors are know to fail and since they are wired in series if one of them is misreading or there is a loose connection then it can show a fault. I had the same issue with my Itasca and the Kwikee Levelbest 3000 levelers.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 05:53 AM   #4

I read some previous posts on this subject and there are some basic fixes that I will try.
First and foremost will be a good cleaning of the shaft and then when I am about to drive and I raise the jacks I will leave the control on store until the system shuts off automatically.
Old 03-14-2017, 02:30 PM   #5
Commercial Member

identify the brand of your jack first. hwh has a sensor built into the top of each jack. if its going off, it will not be an indication of low fluid. the tank can be empty, and no alarm will sound. hwh uses a magnetic sensor in the top of each jack.
the hwh alarm is going off because one of the cylinders has extended more than 1/2 inch from being fully retracted. this is normally caused by not letting the system time out while driving. make a habit of hitting the store button every time you drive off. this will allow the system to monitor the jacks and retract the one that has a problem to retract. it will shut down after a few minutes.
the other thing that can cause the alarm is the jack extended that 1/2 inch because of heat. heat causes the fluid to expand and push the shaft down. if this is a problem you have had since you got the coach, this could be the problem. if not, then do the store thing. it works.
if its a power gear system, it will more than likely, be that you are low on fluid.
the power gear system has a float inside the tank that sets off an alarm if the fluid is low. when you change lanes, or go over a bump, this causes the fluid to slosh and move the float.. setting off the alarm. check your system for leaks.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 07:15 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
I had a similar issue on my Itasca, turned out the hydraulic fluid was just a tad low, like in just enough that on level ground it tripped the sensor. Might not be your problem, but easy enough to check.
JimN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 09:57 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Top off your fluid first, that was my problem same as Azpete just described.
jlturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 10:38 AM   #8
Commercial Member

bob, dont turn the system off, after storing. that cancels the computers ability to retract the jacks while traveling, which is causing your constant alarm problem.it will shut off by itself after 3 minutes.
when traveling, just hit the store button every time you drive out onto the road. every time. that reactivates the store feature of your system. try this. let me know if that solves your problem.
low fluid will not cause a jack down alarm on hwh systems. it does that on power gear or lci systems. they use a float switch in the tank.
we use a magnetic sensor located on top of each jack for that function. when a jack extends more than 1/2 to 3/4 inch, the red light on the touch pad comes on, and the alarm sounds. letting the system time out eliminates the alarm by retracting the jack before the light and the alarm comes on.
Old 03-15-2017, 10:48 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlturner View Post
Top off your fluid first, that was my problem same as Azpete just described.
Good advice. If that doesn't work, then your float switch may be defective.
jpstakun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 08:27 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
I do it just like AZPETE says, hit the store button and drive.

Here is the instructions straight from HWH, I know AZPETE works for HWH but figure I would post this as well.

Thanks AZPETE for your contributions here

100. My jack warning light and buzzer came on while I was driving. I have straight-acting jacks. What could be wrong?
Fluid expansion due to heat can extend a jack slightly while driving. Lever-controlled systems should have the levelers kept in the retract position while driving. Most touch panel type systems will automatically turn off after being put in the “STORE” mode. This should not be interrupted. Do not push the off button or turn the ignition key. If a jack is not fully retracted, that jack may extend far enough to turn a warning light/buzzer on. The following links contain jack retraction information and how the warning switches work. The new 725 system works much like the 625 system on this information page. The warning switch information is about the same for all systems. The only difference is on some systems, the jack will only extend about one half inch instead of one inch to turn a warning light on.

Here is the Service Bulletin covering it.

http://hwhcorp.com/mi95400c.pdf

Jack retraction

http://hwhcorp.com/ml30817.pdf
Old 04-28-2017, 07:24 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Another 325 issue....

[QUOTE=CJ7365;3504857]I do it just like AZPETE says, hit the store button and drive.

Here is the instructions straight from HWH, I know AZPETE works for HWH but figure I would post this as well.

Thanks AZPETE for your contributions here

AZPETE, I have been talking with Frank at HWH. Have an issue with the Store light going off while driving down the road. Store the jacks as normal before hitting the road, but as I go down the road and hit a bump or something the store light turns itself off. Thought I might have a bad panel off switch bouncing and turning the store feature off, but after pulling panel and checking for continutity of the switches, they all seem to work as they should. Tapping and wiggling the wires and panel never made the store light go off while troubleshooting in the driveway. So can't seem to get it to duplicate sitting still in the driveway. Ever heard of the store function just turning itself off while going down the road? Thanks for the input and advice in advance.

Steve
Old 04-29-2017, 09:47 AM   #12
Commercial Member

frank is a good guy to work with. hes been with hwh a long time, and has worked on almost every system hwh produces. very good on diagnostics.
you might look at the harness on the back of the touch panel. if it has a long harness that isnt supported somewhere near the touch pad, that could be the problem.
take a zip tie and loop it thru the plug in on the touch pad and the harness plug. securing them together. a bump might be causing a momentary separation.
if not there, then look at the plugins on the control box. make sure they are clicked in place.
give them a good pull. if they come loose, push them in till they click
Old 04-30-2017, 08:56 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks Pete, will try the zip tie trick and get it out on the road again and see if it drops out of "Store" mode on it's own again.

Steve
Old 05-05-2017, 11:38 AM   #14

@oldBob Did you fix the issue? Just cleaning the shafts with WD40 fixes that issue on my Allegro Bus. I do seem to have to do it often, which is a pain in the knee's...
2006 Allegro Bus 40 QDP IFS, 8.9L Vmspec, 1.5kw Solar + 400w Suitcase, 2@ 50amp & a 30amp Victron Smart MPPT's, 712BMV, SBS, CerboGX, 8.7kw LiFePo4, RR, MS2812, Max Transit, eero 6+ Mesh WiFi, Roof Mounted Starlink In-Motion dishy
BigBillSD is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
hydraulic