RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2019, 08:22 PM   #1
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
I broke the power pilot seat!

After turning the seat around to face the living room, when I turned it back to drive home from the campground yesterday, I found the switch to move it forward/back doesn't work anymore. Luckily, it's stuck far enough forward the slide cleared.

Looking under the seat, I found a connector had come loose (probably was too tight & popped apart when I rotated it). After DH connected it back up, it still doesn't work.

Is there a fuse for that seat somewhere I need to check?

Lori-

P.S. The co-pilot seat works fine after rotating so they must be on different fuses. Also, I found a tiny cotter pin under the pilot seat, but don't know where it goes.

NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2019, 08:29 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Had that same exact problem Lori, a couple times. I finally added wire to the connection to keep it from happening again. I would suggest a fuse issue first but I'm almost certain, both of mine are on the same fuse. In our coach the fuse panel for the seats are in the basement door below drivers seat. The other thing that might have happened is when the plug was pulled apart the wires gave out first, sliding out of their positions in the plug ends, then the plug came apart. If you can't visually see this you could cut the wires, remove the plug, then put the wires together manually. If this is the issue you can either add a new plug or put a wire cap on the wires and top off with electrical tape.

Good luck, can't be a huge issue.

Home State is Kentucky
brandss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 08:40 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Thanks, Scott. I'll give it a look-see next time we're at the coach (it's in storage an hour away).

After reading another post about the bed sconce lights going out because the wiring for them is too short for when the slide goes out, I'm dreading THAT happening. So far, no problem, but if they skimped on the wiring under the seat, I'm anticipating the sconce lights to be my next issue.

Lori-
Old 06-10-2019, 08:40 PM   #4

Mine did this a couple of times. Once, when the plug came undone, as mentioned above, one of the contacts slide out of the socket and grounded out on the seat frame tripping the breaker in the bay beneath the seat. I solved this by arranging the cable to allow slack without binding and by only turning the seat in the same semi-circle each way. I think the driver’s seat was on a separate breaker.

Paul
StaRVGazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 08:46 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
That very well could be what happened Paul. There were wire ends exposed before getting the connection back together.

Lori-
Old 06-10-2019, 09:33 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Lori, forgot to mention one other thing. I thought I had fixed the seat a time or two but kept having the issue. Finally I got smart, added a little extra wire, and the wife and I agreed that when we turned the seats, the standard operating procedure is to always have the back of the seat toward the sides of the coach.

What I found is when I "fixed" it before, I had enough wire to turn it the way explained above, but now if we turned the backs of the seat toward the center of the coach, thus pulling the darn wires loose again. Just a suggestion.
Home State is Kentucky
Old 06-10-2019, 09:39 PM   #7
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Ah ha. That makes sense as I had the backs (on both cockpit seats) facing the windshield vs the sides. By not turning them as far, it won't put extra strain on the wires.

Of course, that begs the question: Why didn't Tiffin provide enough wire slop to turn the dang seats to full face the center rather than catty corner?!?

L-
Old 06-10-2019, 09:47 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Now if we are going to start asking these why questions.....lol.....why in the world did they not spend 10 dollars on insulating the front caps of our coaches.

I spent several days tearing out the front of the coach for electronic reasons, a simple one hour job, and ended up removing all panels, tv, etc just to put a little insulation in there. We full time and I hope it was worth it.

Let us know what you find with your seat wiring.
Home State is Kentucky
Old 06-10-2019, 09:59 PM   #9
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Yeah, don't get me started on the bonehead who thought the guy wires on the medicine cabinet doors would stop them (i.e. the mirror side) from smacking into the towel rings!

I'll reply back when the seat is working again.

Lori-
Old 06-10-2019, 10:25 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
I don't know which way you turned the seats, but always turn them to the inside when you rotate. Also, I had an instance with our Allegro RED where one of the wires got caught up in the screw mechanism and shorted it out. The breakers are in the front driver's side compartment labeled #55 and 60. They are just noted as Power Seat #1 and Power Seat #2 so I don't know which is which. Here's the circuit breaker layout for the 2016 Phaeton which will be similar to yours but not exact due to the extra Spyder controls. The 2018 manual on the Spyder web site doesn't show the circuit breaker layout, but you should have a list of breakers attached to the G6 Panel in the DS front compartment.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Spyder 2016 PHEATON SCHEMATICS.pdf (820.0 KB, 2 views)
'12 Jeep JK Wrangler Sport or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 04:41 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
I had the same thing happen. Turned out it was a push button reset in the front left bay under drivers window. One of the white buttons popped out, I pushed it back in and seat worked.
RTC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 04:16 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
I think just about everybody makes the mistake of trying to turn the seats the wrong way to make them face toward the living room. Also DW turned her seat a full 360 in the correct direction (instead of reversing to go back toward the front). That one really messed up the wires. Inward turns only! We learned the hard way.

Regards.

Chuck
Old 06-11-2019, 07:43 PM   #13
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Thanks all. Special thanks to Lt. Dan for the button numbers.

Yes, I rotated them inwards; however, I turned the pilot seat a bit more & that may have been what pulled the connection apart.

In 13 years, I rarely turned the cockpit seats around in our Bounder. 99% of the time it was just the 2 of us, so no need. Plus, those seats weren't power anything, so nothing to screw up. I'm still trying to figure out stuff on this Phaeton & playing with all the seat controls & rotating them was on the to-do list this past trip.

Lori-
Old 06-12-2019, 10:34 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
After hearing about the seat swivel / wire issues I've chosen not to turn them around however on the way to the Tiffin rally in Hemet the passenger seat choose to stop working. We had a tech take a look and it turned out to be a loose wire behind the spyder panel in the front bay. My wife did ask the tech how to swivel the seat and he discovered the cable that goes from the disconnect to the seat mech actually was't even hooked up. Have to agree with you about Lt Dan....He's an awesome person.

RodneyLadd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power