RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-30-2019, 05:50 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
I'm sorry, searched and not sure, Preheating Coach

I am out of town, wife is in the coach, and when I get home we need to leave in the coach within the hour. The temps are single digits and I know we have to preheat the coach but not sure of which method is better.

We have a switch on the dashboard labeled preheat and we also have a switch with the Aquahot for engine preheat. I don't want to make assumptions, but, this is what I think are the options. Please let me know if I am correct.

I believe the dashboard switch uses the campground electric to preheat the engine. Using this process I should turn it on the night before because it will take a while. Using the Aquahot allows the coolant with the aquahot to heat the engine by running the coolant through it. I understand that this is a much faster heating process, maybe an hour or two.

If you are tired of seeing this question each year, I understand. For those that have the energy, I would be appreciative of any help.

Home State is Kentucky
brandss is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-30-2019, 05:59 PM   #2

I can't help with which switch is where in your Tiffin, but you're correct the AH should heat the engine faster than the electric block heater.

No need to worry in case you can't get it done, modern diesels will crank right up in those temperatures, as long as your batteries are not weak.

Old 01-30-2019, 06:23 PM   #3

Like Finance indicated, the AH should be faster. I normally leave the electric block heater on for 4+ hours for it to do any good.

Gotta ask, are you escaping Kentucky today or coming back to Gods country? Yes it is cold....for us.
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 06:43 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I think your switch on the dash that says engine preheat uses your aquahot hot water to heat the Diesel engines coolant water and a pump circulates the engines coolant water thru the engine block. You also need to have your aquahot on. In retrospect when you are driving the coach the aquahot uses the hot engine coolant water to heat your aquahots water to keep your coach warm warm. Just remember to turn your aquahot on. In this mode your aquahot will not burn diesel because your engine is keeping the aquahot hot unless possibly it is very extremely cold outside. This is how it worked on our 2016 Phaeton.
Old 01-30-2019, 08:18 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Brandss, I think you are correct in your thinking. Thats how my 14 AB works for engine preheat.
KeimnDez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 02:34 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Don't have AH. On the few, and I mean damn few nights we've been in low temps, I turn on engine pre-heat the night before departing or at least a couple hours before. However, if fuel not gelled, diesel will start fine down to freezing with no pre-heat.
skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 05:14 AM   #7

I have to ask... have you added any fuel treatment or recently filled w "winter" fuel?
If not you might want to add some treatment ASAP
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 01:15 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
Like Finance indicated, the AH should be faster. I normally leave the electric block heater on for 4+ hours for it to do any good.

Gotta ask, are you escaping Kentucky today or coming back to Gods country? Yes it is cold....for us.
Thanks for all the replies. I actually left KY before it got crazy cold and coming back Friday to I think, warmer temps. Poor wife was left in the cold weather.

Home State is Kentucky
brandss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, heating