Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-09-2012, 08:02 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Inadequate dim headlights

I have a 2004 Allegro Open Road on a Workhorse chassis. The headlamps on dim are not bright enough. I have tried new stock replacement bulbs, but these do no good to help the poor output of the dim lights. Has anyone found a fix for this problem? I have had the lights aimed, the brights work really good. I am wondering if the problem can be the lens over the dim side of the lamp assembly, there seems to be an abundance of light defusing refractors ground or cut into the dim side lens, while the bright side lens is smooth.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2012, 09:10 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
You might need to polish or replace the lens, but first check the voltage to the light. Also make sure ground connections are tight and clean. Often you have less than 12.6 v, perhaps down around 10.5 - 11 v because of dirty connections and/or distance the wires run from chassis batteries to dash switch to lights. If that is the issue, unplug all the connections you can find, spray with contact cleaner and reconnect. Other possible solutions include run heavier gauge wires or wire from battery to headlights, controlled by a relay triggered by the light switch.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 09:52 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Have a look at this thread. http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/impr...on-112938.html

Also try a search, this has been discussed many times with lots of good options.
I'm taking mine in and having HID installed, new wiring from the batteries to relays to make sure I have the required power.

I do a ;to of night driving to get from A to B and my lights are driving me nuts.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 10:11 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
depending on your headlight assembly... you could retro fit with HIDs for around $150 or so installed. These are especially effective for doubling the projection distance of standard 9004-9007 style bulb.

from my understanding... coach makers use popular passenger car assemblies or similar knockoffs.
WeatherTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 01:06 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks to all for the responses to my lighting inquiry. I will be checking my voltages first, and then look into HID kits.
Old 06-10-2012, 05:57 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I'm assuming at some point you had bright, normal looking headlights. If that is the case, I would really focus on the ground connections first. Dim headlights are almost always caused by a bad ground.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 06:21 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm in the same boat, my headlights are pathetic, they just don't illuminate far enough ahead. The brights are marginally better, but who wants to be constantly flicking back and forth to keep from annoying on coming traffic. This has been an issue (for me) since the coach was new. Oh, the lenses are crystal clear, the little headlights are just not adequate so, we try to be off the road by nightfall!
jojolou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 07:32 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Most often on an RV with weak headlights you will find way less than 12 volts at the headlight
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 07:55 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I wish I could remember what my husband put in our Winnie. Our lights were terrible, he bought some kind that were way brighter and replaced the bulbs. I remember one night we came out of a Cracker Barrel after eating and he got under the front and reaimed them some, after that and with the news bulbs they were much better.
PatStab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 08:03 PM   #10

I put halogens in my old winnie and reaimed them. The adjusters were stripped and the lights pointed about 10 feet in front of the motorhome.
jimbo16720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 08:13 PM   #11

Before spending to much $ on bulbs or replacement head light assemblies I would strongly suggest your take your MH to a truck repair facility which has the equipment and trained personnel to perform a good headlight alignment procedure. Had a real problem with the HL on my 2001 Discovery. After spending a additional $15.00 during my annual state inspection the results of the alignment were remarkable. I now have low and high beams that perform as intended. The best headlights in the world will improve nothing if they are not properly aligned!
bob109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 08:42 PM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Once you make sure you have enough voltage, I'd go for a set of Sylvaina Silverstars or thier Ultra Silverstars. Much brighter, but not $150 brighter.

If your lens(s) are yellow and cloudy no bulb replacement is going to fix that.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 10:27 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post
I'm assuming at some point you had bright, normal looking headlights. If that is the case, I would really focus on the ground connections first. Dim headlights are almost always caused by a bad ground.
I have owned several Diesel pushers and the last two being Allegro Buses
The headlite,s were all poor to see at nite.The latest was my current 2008 AB.It has large great looking lense and still poor liting.I see posting about voltage problems.I have NEVER seen this as a issue and dont think it is anywhere near an issue as some posters seem to think it is
The Number one problem in my reserached opinion is They are too far apart and too low in the body and almost 100% of the time aimed incorrectly.I have installed the HID system and that seems to be the answer.Most of the headlite assembleys because of the way the factory installs them are extremnly hard to change the ajustment on from what I have found.I firmly beleive the too far apart is a major problem
Ticat900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 10:47 AM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ticat900 View Post
I have owned several Diesel pushers and the last two being Allegro Buses
The headlite,s were all poor to see at nite.The latest was my current 2008 AB.It has large great looking lense and still poor liting.I see posting about voltage problems.I have NEVER seen this as a issue and dont think it is anywhere near an issue as some posters seem to think it is
What many are saying is this if you hook the negitive wire of your voltmeter to a very good ground you will see good voltage like 13 engine running.
If you hook it to a bad ground wire you will see much lower voltage at that same wire.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote