Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-16-2014, 08:22 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Induction Cooktop Performance

Just looked at a new Phaeton 40 AH and was wondering how well the installed induction cooktop performs? We are still trying to decide between gas or electric and then Phaeton or Bus. Many choices but lots of time to make it right.
Endeavor2BnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2014, 07:20 AM   #2

Electric vs propane

Personnally I prefer cooking on gas and if you go all electric you will be relying on park power or have to run on genny. We have our bbq tied in to main tank as well as portable campfire. Would definitely require 50 amp service with all electric.
Old 09-17-2014, 07:30 AM   #3

DW loves her induction stovetop. And we love our second all electric coach. For us, dealing with propane in campgrounds over three to four month stays (Wintering) was a non-starter.
Good luck in your shopping. Either way...great lifestyle.
DLaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 07:45 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
We bought one of those "As Seen on TV" portable induction cooktops to try out about a year ago. I ended up buying a brand new, beautiful, bright red with white non-stick interior, set of cookware (just HAD to ). Now we have a new coach with the built in induction cooktop and I really enjoy it. I especially like that I can put paper towels under the skillet when I am frying something. It catches the inevitable splatters and makes clean up easier.
Good luck whichever way you decide to go!
Old 09-17-2014, 09:34 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLaddy View Post
DW loves her induction stovetop. And we love our second all electric coach. For us, dealing with propane in campgrounds over three to four month stays (Wintering) was a non-starter.
Good luck in your shopping. Either way...great lifestyle.
We spent time near our daughter in Oklahoma last year before she deployed to Afghanistan. Temps got down to -6 a few times. Getting propane is a pain in the hiney. You have to put everything
away pull in slides, disconnect and drive either across the campground or a few miles just to fill up propane tank. For us that would have been a weekly event. We wound up buying some electric heaters and only ran propane at night in worst cold. Still had to fill propane tank once a month. If I was buying new I would not have propane. I also have an allegro bus. I have seen phaetons and there would not be a choice for me I would go with the bus if I had the option financially. Take a factory tour and see how long it takes to build a bus versus how long to build a phaeton. Both are motor homes with same basics. The all electric option also gives you more coach batteries which is nice. I do not think that you can get a hybrid refrigerator any more except maybe as an option. I have had both and will never have another hybrid refrigerator. Also get the third AC/ Heatpump You will thank me later.

I am trying to remember the last time my wife used her cook top. She uses a micro hearth cooker. I believe she gets them at amazon. She can fry eggs, potatoes just about anything in it. I cannot tell the difference between things fried in it and a skillet. She bought one then bought another one for the MH and one for the stick home. The other bonus for them is you cannot immerse them when washing dishes. I forgot and did that so now I am not allowed to wash dishes anymore.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 05:31 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for all the information. We decided to try out a single burner "True Induction" unit. Only took two days to get it shipped to me and start using it. So far, we are really happy with it. An all electric unit may be in our future if this trial period works out.
Endeavor2BnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 07:00 AM   #7

We have an all electric Phaeton with induction cook top. I use it all the time and really like that it does not heat up the coach. The cooktop that comes with the Phaeton could do a better job when simmering but I am used to the pulse heating on low setting. We do carry a NuWave single induction portable for when we are on 30 amp or when we are steaming things like artichokes for an hour. That way we can set the kettle outside and not steam up the coach.
We had a coach with propane...never again. It a pain to have to stop to fill up and I think that induction cooking is as responsive as gas cooking.
Also, be sure to get the heated floors. They add silent heat to the coach that is wonderful....plus warm feet! We rarely run the electric heat or AquatHot.
Selah2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 07:17 AM   #8

I wish I would have chose the Induction.

I had a custom trailer built last year and wish I would have gone with the Induction cook top. I Did install a residential model Gas and in the cold temps it's great to use. (except it always triggers the smoke alarm). I have three Induction singles. Two of the "As seen on TV NuWave" and one Fagor I got at a Camping World. The NuWave is sort of nice as it has "degrees" for adjustment and the Fagor has one to ten numbers for "heating power" which takes a bit getting used to. Each will boil water 3 times faster than either the microwave or my high output burner on the cooktop.

I didn't know you could put a paper towel between the cooking surfaces. That is a great idea. Wouldn't leave it alone while simmering something but catching the splatter while cooking bacon and eggs would be fantastic.

Thanks for the topic I will continue to watch for new ideas.

Rod
lappir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 11:28 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Our Phaeton has propane but I generally only have to fill up once a year. I cook using a Nuwave cooktop - haven't used the propane cooktop in 2 years. I carry 2 Nuwaves with me. We tailgate and I use them outside a lot then. Actually I like the Nuwave better than the one Tiffin puts in because they are so temp adjustable and simmer great. The other plus is that I do have the option of using gas to cook when boondocking or on 30 amp. Can't do that with a built in unless on 50 amp. So it comes down to how you camp as to all-electric or not.
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 05:59 PM   #10

Wish Tiffin would have had an all electric option for our 36LA when we purchased it. Propane is a pain. We don't use the propane oven and burners. The convection microwave works great and we use a Nuwave induction.
Guess I'll have to get a Phaeton.
kab449 is offline   Reply With Quote