RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Motorhomes Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-08-2018, 04:32 PM   #1

Ingram or Davis: How to choose?

We are about to order a 2019 Allegro Bus. Both Ingram and Davis are relatively close to Red Bay, and their (really good) prices on our exact equipment list only differ by the cost of a hamburger. Really. (Sherman said they can't order a 2019 for us at this point.)

So the question is, between Ingram and Davis, how do the places compare in terms of their ability to do a good PDI and delivery of an Allegro Bus? How long does delivery take at these places? Do they have hook-ups so you can test everything out?

Can they fix stuff in a timely way and send us on our way? We live on the West coast, so we will not be able to wait around much.

Both places sound well regarded. What has been your experience?

Thanks!

KarrVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2018, 04:37 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarrVee View Post
Sherman said they can't order a 2019 for us at this point.

Just curious, did Sherman elaborate on why they can't?

Old 10-08-2018, 05:30 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by heathtx View Post
Just curious, did Sherman elaborate on why they can't?
Something about their available "slots' being sold out for 2019 Allegro Bus.
KarrVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 09:57 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Ingram or Davis?

We too live on the west coast, Oregon to be exact. About this time last year we drove our 2014 Breeze 28BR to Memphis and traded it in on a 2016 Phaeton 40AH. Best decision we have ever made I think. Love the coach, but just as importantly, we came away feeling that Davis is a VERY reputable outfit to deal with. Up front decent pricing with no hassle. Said what they did and did what they said. We pulled in on a Monday morning, and four hours later we'd had our VERY thorough walk through and changed our personal stuff and signed all the papers and were on our way to Jellystone RV park. While there for a couple of days we had two minor issues. One I fixed with advice, and the other found Randy, the technician, driving to us and fixing it.

Friends from our local Tiffin Owners Club bought their bus there in 2015 and other friends bought their 2018 Phaeton 40AH there as well. Hands down the best pricing anywhere. Worth the trip. Have lunch with Elvis!

Ingram may be as good, I don't have experience with them. Davis beats anything out west.

Tom Beall
President
Oregon Rovers #149
Tiffin Allegro Club
tebeall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 07:05 PM   #5

we bought from sherman... so i'm not a good reference...
but i think tebeall has the answer...

i would talk carefully with both dealers regarding what they do once they get the coach.. and before you get there. i'm going to call this the pre delivery inspection.. (sherman didn't want me there for 4 or 5? days because of their thorough PDI)

then quiz them politely and carefully about their walkthrough with you when you arrive. i traded in a coachmen C... we'd never owned an A and never owned a Tiffin... so this walkthrough process was tremendously important and valuable to us... we spent all of one day with John (their tech who specialized in PDI and walkthrough) then we spent the night in the coach and john spent the next half day with us...

ask both dealers "Who does your walkthroughs?" and who does the PDI?
i think the answer of something like, "we have 2 techs that take care of this, billy and tommy. they've been with us for xx years" would be the best answer... and something like, "well, we let one of our service techs do it. whoever is not busy with something else." would be a bad answer.

then ask how long do they have to work with you. our coachmen dealer told us we would have 3 hours, "if it took that long!" i didn't realize how much i didn't know, and thought wow, that will be great. nice guy, but 3 hours was no where near enough time for 2 newbies like us!

enjoy. congratulations.
rockriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 11:59 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
I have used Marlin, he is local for me, but have also used distant RV dealers also, I have always used Marlin (owner) and Cary (service) always with good luck. I see Sherman and David mentioned all the time as great Dealers also.
I went with Marlin based on recommendation from 2 friends who have either bought moho and trailer or a least two trailers. One of my friends parents have bought a trailer and FIVE Allegro Buses since 1999 from Marlin. I have a older unit, but we are very pleased with it, I wanted a workhorse gas chassis, not offered anymore, parts are still widely available. Just my two cents worth.
rvharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 07:23 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Here's our experience with Ingram. We watched our 2018 Bus 40SP get built in May, then took delivery at Marlin Ingram. We kept in touch with Beth at Ingram throughout the build process and they worked with us on the delivery date so we wouldn't have to wait for it. When it got to Ingram the DS rear slide wouldn't extend and the Tech there didn't have the equipment to fix it. Marlin got on the phone with Danny at Tiffin and had them send a team down in a truck and they had it fixed that night so we could take delivery the next morning. They had it detailed and ready to go at 9am. We told Brett, the Tech doing the walkthrough with us, that we'd watched it get built and pretty much knew everything there was to know about that coach (that's never, ever true!) but he still took all morning and went over it inside and out. We learned a lot from him and he learned a couple things from us. We traded in a 2016 Phaeton and drove it for 3 months waiting for the Bus but Ingram kept the trade in price the same. The also offered to let us stay at the dealer overnight but we moved to the Capitol City RV Park. (They told us one couple stayed for 3 weeks!) Overall great experience.

David3811 is offline   Reply With Quote