RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-23-2009, 05:25 AM   #1

Initial Phaeton Mod questions

Our new Phaeton needs some tinkering to help make it a little more user friendly. Before I proceeded Iím thinking no sense re-inventing the wheel so if someone has made these changes and would like to share their ideas I would appreciate it.
1.Installing a Progressive Ind. surge guard. I havenít stuck my head under the chassis yet but on initial appearance it looks like it will mount at the front end of the electrical compartment adjacent to the transfer switch.
2.Our last MH had a DC volt meter with a switch that toggled between house and chassis battery voltage. The Phaeton only has a volt meter for the house batteries which is located in the cabinet above the driver. The switch that engages this meter seems to be double throw.
a.Has any body tried to use this switch to meter the chassis batteries?
b.Otherwise, found an alternative location to add a chassis battery volt meter?
3.The closet doors must be closed to turn off their respective lights. To close or open it is not easy and noisy. To fix this there seems to be two choices:
a.Leave the door ajar but add a switch to cut power to the two closet lights.
b.Remove the door latches so the doors can be smoothly opened and closed, leaving in place the existing light reed switches to operate as designed.
c.Since the wiring to the switches does not seem to have a lot of give my initial approach is to remove the latches and come up with another method for securing the doors while under way.
4.CB installation: my CB is the old fashion type that mounts in a bracket. It looks like there is room to mount it against the side wall so the unit is vertical. The CB antenna wire is there but there is no power wire furnished. However I did find the electrical panel that has a fuse location marked for a CB; it is in the exterior compartment just below the driver.
5.I am considering adding Silverleaf, I think via a dedicated mini notebook, but prefer to not narrow up the passage way between the passenger seat and the dash. Has anyone added Silverleaf to their Phaetons?
6.I am also considering adding Intelitecís Load Shedder. I have read Cruzerís installation and the project looks doable. Anyone else tackled this one?

'10 Phaeton 36 QSH-
SteveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2009, 11:44 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
SteveG, acouple of threads going on right now over on TiffinRVnetwork.com on the Silverleaf. You might want to look.

http://tiffinrvnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=111&t=24449

http://tiffinrvnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=120&t=24424

Installed my PI surge guard on the front wall of the electrical bay. Worked out fine.

You'll have to wait for someone else on the other questions as I have not wandered there.

Congrats on the new coach.

Old 12-23-2009, 11:56 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveG View Post
Our new Phaeton needs some tinkering to help make it a little more user friendly. Before I proceeded Iím thinking no sense re-inventing the wheel so if someone has made these changes and would like to share their ideas I would appreciate it.
1.Installing a Progressive Ind. surge guard. I havenít stuck my head under the chassis yet but on initial appearance it looks like it will mount at the front end of the electrical compartment adjacent to the transfer switch.
2.Our last MH had a DC volt meter with a switch that toggled between house and chassis battery voltage. The Phaeton only has a volt meter for the house batteries which is located in the cabinet above the driver. The switch that engages this meter seems to be double throw.
3.The closet doors must be closed to turn off their respective lights. To close or open it is not easy and noisy. To fix this there seems to be two choices:
b.Remove the door latches so the doors can be smoothly opened and closed, leaving in place the existing light reed switches to operate as designed.
c.Since the wiring to the switches does not seem to have a lot of give my initial approach is to remove the latches and come up with another method for securing the doors while under way.
4.CB installation: my CB is the old fashion type that mounts in a bracket. It looks like there is room to mount it against the side wall so the unit is vertical. The CB antenna wire is there but there is no power wire furnished. However I did find the electrical panel that has a fuse location marked for a CB; it is in the exterior compartment just below the driver.
5.I am considering adding Silverleaf, I think via a dedicated mini notebook, but prefer to not narrow up the passage way between the passenger seat and the dash. Has anyone added Silverleaf to their Phaetons?
6.I am also considering adding Intelitecís Load Shedder. I have read Cruzerís installation and the project looks doable. Anyone else tackled this one?
i dont have a phaeton
BUT.......
i have installed the surge guard in our coach
i tied in at the transfer switch where the shore cord plugs in at the rear of the coach. peice if cake, then ran the monitor panel wiring up to the bedroom wall.

I to have an old school cb so i will watch what you come up with

my battery cut off monitor panle has two selections to toggle between....but now as i think about it its not labled and could be telling me just the coach battery condition. I accidently switched it off once and we went dark

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 01:01 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveG View Post
1.My Progressive surge guard is installed in the electrical compartment right along side the transfer switch and the tell-tale panel is on a short aluminum strap near the top hinge area.
2. I ran a wire from the electric compartment below the driver up to the driver overhead panel (up the windshield post) and used the DPDT switch to show both voltages. When I added a third DC circuit (and 4 extra batteries) to run all the electronics, I ran up a third wire and went to a rotary switch so I could see all 3 bus's voltage.
3. We only have the lights in the closet with the switch on them. I would have wired around the reed switches anyway. We boondock for weeks at a time and don't need any extra lights on.
4. Run the CB power wire up from below the driver. Easiest clean source for it.
5. We don't have a Silverleaf
6. I've never felt the need for a load shedder, so can't say anything about it. We've gone the less is more route since we boondock so much. We have an additional 125W solar panel and have replaced all interior lights with LED's.

John
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 01:23 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
This is in response to No. 5. I use the VMSpc on a Dell Mini that I have mounted on the center console using a Ram Tough Tray. I wedged some wood blocks in the cup holder to attach the Ram pedestal mount so that I didn't drill any holes in the console. Some pics here:
http://photobucket.com/VMSpc
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 08:43 PM   #6

Thanks for all the good ideas.

Good to know that the existing meter switch can be used as it will make it a clean look.

While doing some research today I discovered a mini-monitor (7" x 5.25" x 1") that is driven from a USB port (no monitor power cord required). Couple that to a mini-desktop like a MSI Nettop 120 (9.4" x 2.6" x 11.8") which can be hidden away somewhere the setup will be pretty clean looking. Since I plan on dedicating this setup to only Silverleaf I won't rountinely need the key board.

Of course there is a potential clinker to this plan as the mini-monitor may not work as just the main monitor for every mini-computer. I have e-mailed a request for confirmation.

Mimo Monitors - Mimo 710-S

MSI Global ‚Äď Computer, Laptop, Notebook, Desktop, Mainboard, Graphics and more

'10 Phaeton 36 QSH-
Old 12-23-2009, 10:24 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Steve,
I have run a full size monitor off of my Dell Mini, so you probably will be able to run the Mini Monitor, however it's not much smaller than my 10" Dell. Also just food for thought, in addition to running the VMSpc software on my Mini we also connect to the internet while in motion through the wireless connection to our CradlePoint router, air card and Wilson trucker's antenna. I do have a separate Garmin GPS, but also keep Streets & Trips running on the Mini so we can see a broader overview of our route. The power cord is pretty well hidden by using an "L" shaped connector to the Mini, and running the cord behind the drawer stack to the plug at the top of the steps. I also use an "L" USB connector for the S&T GPS puck with the cord running under the dash to the DS window.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 07:38 PM   #8

Thanks Bob for the information. I'm considering adding a monitor to a mini laptop but hiding the cpu. At this point I am just interested in displaying the Silerleak data.

Did find some more interesting information today. The mini desktop called Acer AspireRevo AR1600-U910H Black/White Desktop PC Win XP is getting reasonable reviews considering its size and design. I have found them for $199; size 7.1" x 1.2" x 7.1". Square.
Also, mimo-monitor people confirmed the USB connection mini-monitor will operate as the main moniyot off the mini-Acer and the mini-MSI. So it appears there are a number of different directions to go. SteveG

'10 Phaeton 36 QSH-