RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-10-2019, 09:35 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Is anyone considering a Newmar simply because of the carpeting?

We absolutely love our coach and have no real complaints. When we started our search 3 or more years ago it was quickly determined it would be a Tiffin or Newmar. We did what everyone does, found the floor plans that worked for us, options we wanted, year and price range, and bought our bus from a great private seller in Phoenix. We really haven't had any issues other than normal stuff and as we look toward the future, we still would only consider a Tiffin or Newmar.

Theres a couple of things that we feel the Newmar Dutchstar has over the Tiffin Bus. The one that really stands out for us is full tile floor on the Newmar vs the darn carpet on the bus when it comes to the slide outs. I'm sure there is a reason Tiffin doesn't do the full tile but it seems weird because the two seem to mirror each other when it comes to standards.

Any thoughts on this.......anyone had the same thoughts? I think we will get a 2019 next year, slightly used, hopefully bugs worked out, you know the deal.

Home State is Kentucky
brandss is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2019, 10:06 PM   #2

Short answer: yes.

Paul.

StaRVGazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 10:39 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
I guess I don't see what the big deal is having carpet vs tile on the slides. Tile on slides adds a lot of weight, I'd think. The only place our carpet is really visible is under the dinette. You can barely see the carpet under the theater seats, couch or kitchen cabinets. Where the tile is, is in the middle, where it can be seen & appreciated. Why pay all that money for tile in a slide when furniture it plopped on top of/blocking it?

It's the same thing in our S&B house. Beautiful area rugs in the room center where they can be seen. All the furniture rests on not so expensive Pergo flooring on the edges.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 11:05 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm ok with carpet in the slides. Being tiled also would be a nice to have. But would not be the buying decision point.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 05:44 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
The slide carpet strips are DW's biggest "don't care for". She has stated "on the next one" she would choose a coach without. Our kitchen is on slide and the carpet strip in front of the sink, stove and counter top bothers her more than a little.

Our in-wall bath and bedroom slides have no carpet strip. Does the carpet strip only serve to hide the roller marks on the hard flooring?
tarheel21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 08:30 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
In my different rally groups I have seen several Newmar's with an issue with having tile on the tile on the slide outs. Not really the tile but with the rubber trim coming loose, getting caught and getting stretched out and not fitting after that, also getting kicked loose when walking through the coach when slides are in. Had seen some cases where people having to cut it to make it fit better and then tried to reglue it once its been damaged. Also If you get the wrong color match from the tile it is really noticeable like dark trim on light tile. So It can be worse and look worse than carpet IMO.

Texas Boomers and FMCA members
dkrobath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 07:50 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Not to worry. The DW loved the floor plan so much we made it work with well trimmed clear carpet runner available at the big box stores or online. Perfect for the dinette and kitchen carpet. I made one solid strip trimmed to cover just the carpet. Just select the right one for pile depth and it will not shift.
Old 08-13-2019, 04:38 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
This may not be a problem with later model years, but I remember some complaints a few years back about the tile slideout floors not getting the floor heat when in colder weather.

DeWat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
carpet, newmar