RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-15-2014, 06:21 PM   #1

Is it worth while to install a CB Radio on an Allegro Red

Hello Again! I think that all Tiffin's are manufactured CB Radio ready! Is this worth installing on an MH? As you probably know the cost is not the issue most radios run under $200.00 just interested to know how many of you actully have a CB Radio aboard and do you use it often? Thanks!!!

Grandcanyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2014, 07:16 PM   #2

We have one. I have found it valuable to monitor truckers' accounts of traffic tie-ups in front of where we are but we probably use it most to communicate with friends who may be caravaning with us. We have also used Motorola walkie talkies for that purpose.

Don

Old 10-15-2014, 08:34 PM   #3

I had a CB in our last coach and very rarely used it. On this coach I decided not to install a CB.
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 08:43 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We have one, haven't turned it on in years, probably at least 5 by now.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 09:06 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have a portable Midland handheld CB that we use. It helps to listen to the truckers to find out which lane to get in during traffic jams. We can also transfer it to other vehicles or carry it with us on hikes. It is set up to plug into the cigarette lighter or use batteries for power. The antennae can be removed and you can use the antennae provided by Tiffin on the roof for better reception.

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 07:15 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I run with Two CB's next to the driver one on Chan 13 (I do not think I've ever chatted with another RVer on 13) and one on 19 (That's the good one and about to get better but that is an antenna thing).

Every once in a while I hear something interesting on it.. one day I had my high beams on, a trucker made a rather nasty comment but .. Well, I fixed the problem as a result (did not thank him0

Another time I was crusing down the freeway and the CB told me of an accident up ahead, overtuned semi,,, Freezing rain I was able to slow in time to stop at half of a 4 car crash shelter the players till police arrived give him a nice warm place to write it up,, and take them home. (The other half made it to the next exit and met the officer at the truck stop).

the other time it was 2 accidents both fatal, and I had enough warning to take an exit and wally-dock the traffic jam away.

While others were stuck in traffic for hours.. I had a nice meal, a good night's sleep, a nice breakfast, and on the fully cleared and opened road again.

And I've run "Convoy" with other CBers from time to time as well.

Oh, I also have Ham Radio on board, that's the one I use often.
Old 10-18-2014, 07:50 PM   #7

I have one and find it very handy when traffic is a problem. Of course the APP called WAZE is also very good at finding out IF there is a JAM but not why or what to do about it. The CB is much better for that.
rotts4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 08:15 PM   #8

We have a portable CB - Weather Channel combo unit. 90% of the time it is used for NOAA weather info and occasionally the CB to check on traffic jams ahead.
okgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 05:22 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
I run with Two CB's next to the driver one on Chan 13 (I do not think I've ever chatted with another RVer on 13) and one on 19 (That's the good one and about to get better but that is an antenna thing).

+1 on what WA8YXM said. I don't operate a CB, but am fully aware of such benefits as he described. Had my off the lot purchased RV had a CB antenna on it, I would have installed a radio. It could come in handy on occasion. My ham radio suffices but I can't monitor truckers on it.

A question for WA8YXM: what did you mean in your comment above about things about to get better? I am always interested in RV roof antenna issues. Since I did not get a CB antenna on my roof I'd like to know what you may have in mind.
Ed_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 11:47 PM   #10

CB Radio

Thanks for all of the comments about the CB radio! One more question do I need a license to operate one?? I thought many years ago this was needed it still may be needed, please advise. Thank You!
Grandcanyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 10:15 AM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandcanyon View Post
Thanks for all of the comments about the CB radio! One more question do I need a license to operate one?? I thought many years ago this was needed it still may be needed, please advise. Thank You!
True... many, many, many years ago a license was need. Not anymore!

Dewey
KRV-0014 & KBTL1172
DeWat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 05:53 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeWat View Post
True... many, many, many years ago a license was need. Not anymore!

Dewey
KRV-0014 & KBTL1172

Funny you should that. KHQ3171 back in the mid/late 70's. Used to do skip as the triple nickel. Made it to Australia mobile once. Now, I'm a ham. Put in for grand-dads call when he past away.

Brandi
W6FPT

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Mzbrandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 10:44 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Late ad to this post, but learned something I was not aware of and thought I should share. I have been into CB since 1960's, have always had one in whatever vehicle I drove as a hedge on traffic conditions. I have noticed in the past few years that the amount of "useful" information on the road has decreased drastically. Shared Christmas dinner with some folks from Canada, one of whom is a long haul driver and discovered why. Seems government regulations are coming in 2016 that will make it illegal for professional truck drivers to use "non hands free devices", which of course hits hard at CB use.
tym4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 02:53 PM   #14

Smile cb radio

Stan in Tn.

We have one, does come in very handy. Our's is a Cobra and has numerous weather channels. Even with it turned off it has a weather alert feature which is really nice when sleeping. Also has blue tooth for our cell phone and I can receive calls and send calls through the cb which is great.

Model is Cobra 29 WX NW BT. Have had this radio for a few years so the model may be adifferent noe now, but one great radio. Hope this helps

Stan in Tn.

sjw2094 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
install, radio