RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-13-2019, 03:09 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Is there a better age to sell and upgrade

Was working on a few minor things around the coach today and began to think of something. Do most of you have a certain age, mileage, or some other factor that you consider when selling your coach and getting a newer one? My father was adamant about his cars (not saying he is right) that once they got to a certain year and or mileage thats when he felt you got the best money as a trade in on a newer car.

Things like Tiffin won't work on a coach thats more than 10 years old (I know there are plenty of places to have a coach worked on) and the fact that a lot of lenders won't give a loan on a coach that's older than 10 years got me wondering.

This is not intended to stir anyone up so don't go all crazy on me. Just a random thought.

Home State is Kentucky
brandss is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2019, 03:17 PM   #2

don't put new tires on it or you'll wind up trading it. Dave

allegro1x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 03:29 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
No fair Dave, I know theres a story to your comment. Gotta give it up.
Home State is Kentucky
brandss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 04:38 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
We have always purchased the next coach based on wanted features. We started years ago with an older Class C with a corner bed, hated it but used it for 3 years since we only went out a couple times a year. Next was an older non slide Class A with a walk around bed, much better but after a few years we wanted something bigger with slides. Found a 10 year old HR Endeavor gasser that was a good fit. Had most everything we wanted except a sofa sleeper. This one served us well for 8 years and just sold it last spring after ordering our Tiffin 32SA. Made that decision based on getting ready to retire and wanting new technology like 7K generator, residential refrigerator, 4 batteries, additional 50 hp from the newer V10, six speed transmission, full body paint, queen sleeper sofa, king bed, bigger shower and the list goes on, lots of improvements compared our 2000.

We have never upgraded due to mileage or really age either. It’s always been about the floorplan and wanted features. Most owners will tell you to find the floorplan you like best and go from there.

Looks like you are pretty set up with your current ride. Should provide many years of enjoyment.
Old 01-13-2019, 05:55 PM   #5

Brandss - I just got new tires on our MH and will be heading to Florida and I'm hoping the wife doesn't start looking again. Dave
allegro1x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 05:32 PM   #6

New tires? You get new tires when you trade motor homes.
Old 01-14-2019, 05:48 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
I will be watching.

Our rig is 24 years old and we have owned it for 17 years.

Maybe we missed a key decision point.

But basically we bought a decent quality coach back then and could never justify spending more money for a few additional features like slide-outs, aqua hot, and big thirsty engines.

Now it is worth nearly nothing, but owes us nothing either.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 09:59 PM   #8
BEC

Bought tiffin Allegro 30í 7 years old. Drove it to 48,000 miles and sold it 5 years after purchase for almost what I bought it. ( tires year old) Bought 5 yr old tiffin Tga34 for better floor plan. Expect to keep 5 years 50k mileage and will lose more than first coach but not as much as new ones depreciate.
BEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 10:12 PM   #9

Foretravel Owners Club
Sell only when the equipment no longer is dependable.. Think our motor coach will out live us......
saddlesore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 05:11 AM   #10

Based on our prior ownership of 3 pop-ups and two travel trailers, if we're happy with something, we kept it for 10 years. First pop-up was to see if the DW would be happy camping in it with our two boys. We traded it in the following year to get a little bit bigger one. We kept that for 3 years when the roof failed, which would have been replaced free by Starcraft. But, decided at that point to move up to an even bigger pop-up which we kept for 10 years. With one kid in college, we had the opportunity to buy a Sunline trailer. We kept that for 10 years. Then, with the move to OH, downsized to a Minnie trailer and after 5 years or so, decided we wanted more room and no truck in our crowded garage and bought the Bay Star. We plan to keep it for as long as possible....rather spend the $$ on traveling and having fun. BUT.....like most folks.....that plan could change when you least expect it!
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 06:21 AM   #11

I do believe that the standardization of swapping at miles and/or age makes sense for fleet management. I also remember that cars basically started coming apart at 60,000 miles back in the olden days.

I think there are too many variables with coaches to distill buying and selling into a single strategy. The times we sold were for dramatic changes (pop-up to coach), or moving and losing storage. If it no longer fits your goals, sell it. If you want something new, buy it. If you like it, keep it.

Me, I am grateful that people seek new and better, so I can purchase their 15-year-old cast-offs at 8 pennies on the dollar! We just won't do the $250K+ outlay nor the monthly payment for several weeks a year of use.

Matt B
Old 01-19-2019, 08:17 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Three new motorhomes in three years. 2015 RED was owned for 8 months, 2106 Phaeton for 18 months, bought a new Bus last June. I like to take the first year depreciation, work out all the kinks, and then trade it, but I'm a lot smarter than everyone else Seriously though, we decided our RED was too small for the amount of time we were spending in it, found a new Phaeton that had been sitting on a dealer lot for a year that he really wanted to get rid of. Then my DW discovered what an IFS means to ride quality so we moved up. I think I'm saying it's situation based. Motorhome purchases are always justified but never justifiable

David3811 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sell, upgrade