Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-10-2019, 02:41 PM   #1

Keeping electric entry steps retracted

The site we are in for the next couple of months has a set of wooden steps that the site owner said we could use while on his site. I have tried to keep my electric entry steps on my 2014 Allegro Bus in the retracted position so I can use the wooden steps. The electric entry steps will hit and be impeded by the wooden steps if the electric steps are not locked in the retracted position potentially causing damage to the electric steps.

The manual states that when the door is closed and the steps are retracted if you turn the step power switch to “off” and turn the ignition “off” the steps will stay in the retracted position.

No matter what combination of ignition switch on/off and step switch on/off I cannot get the steps to stay retracted.

What do I need to do in order to keep the electric steps retracted?
mspicer1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2019, 02:43 PM   #2

Pull the fuse.
Old 02-10-2019, 04:00 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mspicer1234 View Post
The site we are in for the next couple of months has a set of wooden steps that the site owner said we could use while on his site. I have tried to keep my electric entry steps on my 2014 Allegro Bus in the retracted position so I can use the wooden steps. The electric entry steps will hit and be impeded by the wooden steps if the electric steps are not locked in the retracted position potentially causing damage to the electric steps.

The manual states that when the door is closed and the steps are retracted if you turn the step power switch to “off” and turn the ignition “off” the steps will stay in the retracted position.

No matter what combination of ignition switch on/off and step switch on/off I cannot get the steps to stay retracted.

That is how mine works.
1) I set the step sw so the step stays out (on mine the step sw is on) when you open or close the door. The step is out.

2) If I turn the ignition key on it retracts the step and the step will stay in (regardless of door position) until I change the step sw to off. I can turn the ignition back off and the step stays in.

Everyone else say that theirs don't work like that but mine does, so in your case, it's what you need. Try the sequence I outlined here.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 04:01 PM   #4

mspicer1234-

Pulling the motor fuse is what I'd do. I have got ours to stay retracted (without pulling the fuse) by applying a magnet to the magnetic switch on the door jamb.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 04:05 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mspicer1234 View Post

The entry steps WILL stay retracted when the door is kept in the closed position. But, as you've found out, no matter what position the switch is in, the steps will extend. But, the switch is there to allow you to put the steps in the "Park" mode. That is, if and when you're in a cramped area and, have tight walking space between the coach and whatever, you can flip that switch to the Park mode and, when the door (with the magnet on it) is closed, the steps will auto retract. They will extend each and every time but will also auto retract if the switch is in the park mode position.

Now, when the switch is in the stay mode, once the door is opened for the first time, since engine shut-down, they will stay in the extended mode. And, they won't go back in, the ignition is turned back on.

Now, as for you keeping them in, well, as has been suggested, the only way to keep them from extending is to disconnect power to them. A fuse (where ever it is) will do it or, you can slip under there and disconnect the 4-way plug that leads to the motor. But, be very careful messing around under there, around those steps. If you're under there and, someone opens that door, guess what, those steps are coming out, whether you're in the way or not!!!
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 04:55 PM   #6

I installed a toggle swith near the door years ago. It cuts the power to the stairs in whatever the stair position is at that moment. It is usefull in many situations when I don't want the steps extended for low clearance manuvering for whatever reason.
steve11669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 05:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
But, be very careful messing around under there, around those steps. If you're under there and, someone opens that door, guess what, those steps are coming out, whether you're in the way or not!!!
Scott
I agree, this can be very painful.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2500.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	234669  
hderr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 06:31 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hderr View Post
I agree, this can be very painful.
Oh man, was that a full Beer?
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 07:55 PM   #9

Ours has a built in switch by the entry door. Turn the switch off and the steps stay in whatever position it was in when switch gets turned off.
Bahamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 05:10 PM   #10

I decided that the suggestion of closing the door waiting for the steps to retract then pulling the fuse was the best solution for me. I added this to my departure and setup to-do lists so I don't forget to put it back in.

Thanks for all of your replies.
mspicer1234 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, steps