Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-20-2019, 04:14 PM   #1

Keeping house batteries charged

Hi all, I’m a newbie at the Motorhome scene so most of my questions are probably dumb. I have my 2018 Tiffin 32SA parked under roof at a storage facility. It is plugged into a 30amp service receptacle. Are my batteries being charged just because I have it plugged in or should I use a trickle charger on them?
Thanks for your input...
Ebmills is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2019, 04:23 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
I don't know about your SA, but our Phaeton has a battery minder. We're plugged in 24/7/365, we do NOT turn off the disconnects, & our batteries are kept charged.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 04:39 PM   #3

Keeping house batteries charged

Going back to basics for a minute, you should have 2 separate battery systems on your motorhome, one set for the “house” and the other set for the “chassis”. Chassis batteries are generally used to start the engine and maybe the generator.

House batteries used for lighting, vent fans, etc.

On our ‘06 Phaeton, it originally only charged the house batteries when plugged in, the chassis batteries would eventually go dead.

I added a Trik-l-Start that “steals” a small amount of current to maintain the chassis batteries.

It's easy enough to check if the chassis batteries are being charged from shore power with a digital voltmeter, they should be very close to the house batteries when plugged in.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-20-2019, 04:44 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
That's how it was with last decade era Tiffins. Tiffin made a change to that around 2014 or 2015. I know for sure they charge on the higher end diesels, but don't know how much of that technology has trickled down to models lower down the chain. I would certainly think that by 2018, it has.

I'm sure someone with that model will chime in soon (or someone with more broad knowledge of systems operations on models other than their own).

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 08:19 PM   #5

Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
The simple answer is YES..... When you are plugged into shore power, whether it is 50 amp, 30 amp, or 15 amp your batteries will charge. When your chassis battery hits 12.4 % it will receive a float charge from your system. Your house batteries should remain around 13.5 They go usually to 14 when in charge mode.

I know you are new, but you can search in the Tiffin Owners Forum about battery charging. It is also covered in your owners manual.

Jim P
pameridan04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 08:20 PM   #6

Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
PS...... You must leave your battery switch and inverter in the ON position for the auto charging to work.

Jim P.
pameridan04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 08:39 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebmills View Post
Are my batteries being charged just because I have it plugged in or should I use a trickle charger on them?
A couple minutes with a basic voltmeter will reveal if your batteries are receiving a float charge. Takes all the guesswork out of it.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Mark_K5LXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 10:23 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_K5LXP View Post
A couple minutes with a basic voltmeter will reveal if your batteries are receiving a float charge. Takes all the guesswork out of it.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

Kept mine charged on a 15 amp line with no issues. Now that we had to move it to storage lot 100 watt solar panel standing in the front windshield keeps the batteries charged.

Tags
batteries, house batteries