Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-28-2019, 08:27 AM   #1

Kwikee "Devil Steps"

My Kwikee devil steps are at it again. They operate whenever the hell they choose too. We are getting ready to go to Utah and at the moment they won't come out when opening the door. I am suspect that it may be something at the ignition switch as the door switch has no voltage to it but does ring out on an ohm meter. There is no voltage to any of the four wires at the plug near the motor and regulator.
I have already replaced the motor and the steps do work on their terms. I am not suspect of the step override switch as yet as looking at the Kwikee schematic voltage goes through the door switch first and there is no voltage there.
Seeking some help please.

2014 31 SA
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2019, 08:39 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
We had a mystery step issue as well in our 2017 AB. After replacing motor and controller I found a loose yellow & Red wire in the forward DS power bay. The wire had pulled out of the wire white block. Both were marked step. A bypass wire was put in to remedy it
RodneyLadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 08:53 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodneyLadd View Post
We had a mystery step issue as well in our 2017 AB. After replacing motor and controller I found a loose yellow & Red wire in the forward DS power bay. The wire had pulled out of the wire white block. Both were marked step. A bypass wire was put in to remedy it
I'll check there. Thank you.
Old 08-28-2019, 11:57 AM   #4

https://vimeo.com/45602427

Great video on how to diagnose Kwikee Steps.
f18sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 12:54 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
picture showing step wire and white block

Here's a picture showing the wires for the step. The red one had come loose and we connected using a spade connector
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	step.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	258305  
RodneyLadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 04:38 PM   #6

Had a similar problem on previous SOB coach. First time I rapped on the motor a time or two with a hammer. 6 mos later same thing..2 mos later...etc. it was obviously getting worse so I finally replaced the motor. Also clean & lube the gears.
Chuck&Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 05:39 PM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
Our steps were acting up earlier this year. Intermittently the steps would not open when the door was opened. For the heck of it I pushed the metal plunger switch (located in the door jam) in/out a few times and the steps would work. I took the switch out and sprayed WD40 in it and its been working fine for 6 months.
Don
Old 08-28-2019, 06:07 PM   #8
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
We, too, have had the random non-deploying step issue. Thanks for the posts on the things to check.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 09:47 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Same problem with mystery step problems for the last 6-9 months. Stop working in the closed position from time to time. Have changed both the motor and the controller under warranty. Just happened again. However this time my repair guy called Kwikee support and they asked if I had added the wrap around carpet on both steps. Yes I did. They were jamming the steps in the up position because there's not enough clearance between the steps when closed to handle the carpet. Removed them and they work perfectly now.
dilyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 07:19 AM   #10

Had the opposite issue the other day. While coming to a stop at the end of a highway off-ramp, the steps started going in and out (door closed, engine running). Pulled over and pushed the door switch in and out a few times and all back to normal. I have had plenty of issues with the motor getting stuck (known issue with this window lift motor), so I now carry a spare and can replace in less than 5 min if needed.
f18sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 10:54 AM   #11

Thanks Rodney Ladd

I didn't dare speak a word until we returned but after 17 days and 10 RV parks and a b'zillion times the steps went in and out they worked perfectly!

Rodney pointed me in the direction I needed to explore. I found a 25 amp self re-setting relay that I decided to swap out with another that is not in use. After swapping it out the steps have been flawless. I don't know what was going on with the old one maybe it may have been weak in re-setting who knows. But they are working great now, (knocking on wood)

Thanks again!!!

Tags
kwikee, steps