Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2017, 08:05 AM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
dabrooks, Thanks for the info. You may have found the root cause of all the kwikee step motor failures. It is definitely worth a few minutes and a couple of washers. I am going to try your fix when I replace the motor on my steps.
BTW I have had to adjust the entry door latch to stop the rubber seal from squeaking. It didn't work but baby powder on the rubber seal stops all the squeaks and actually reduces friction on the seals. When in Red bay the techs put baby powder on a new side wall slide seal to make it work better. I used this trick on the entry door seal and the squeaking stopped for about a thousand miles.
flywithcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2017, 02:07 PM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
If you loosen both screws and then take the top screw out you can put the washer on a piece of tape and slide it down in place. Beats dropping the washer several times.
dabrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 03:52 PM   #17

After replacing a couple motor/gearboxes, I adjusted the eccentric bolts on my step arms to stop the steps just short of the gearbox hitting it's hard stop. The steps seem to be sturdier when extended and I haven't lost a motor in 3 or 4 years.
JPeterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 07:25 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Well Saturday I installed the new steps. Guess what? They still didn't work. Now I figured it had to be electrical. Spent all of Monday exploring the wiring bundles and could not find the problem. Finally I connected a new door switch externally and the steps worked.
The old door switch was checked and it worked fine with an ohm meter. So I'm thinking maybe the ground as the new set was grounded right tot he frame. So I cut the ground wire from the bundle and regrounded it to the frame. Now it worked, but not all the time. Intermittent.

I then removed the corrugated wire covering from the wires that connect the door switch to the control unit and found a loose connection where I would not expect to see any connection at all. Cut the wires and reconnected them with new connector. Steps now work.

So I now have a complete new set of steps installed, an old set of steps that I can sell, and an extra controller to sell as well.

It cost me about $600.00 to fix a bad ground and a bad connection. It also embarrassed a really good shop foreman who didn't find it.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 08:42 PM   #19

I had the same thing this weekend happen. On the 2014 36la it said 12 volt circuit breaker( fuses) should be #7 but there was no breaker in that spot. Then i looked up at the chassis fuses couldn't find anything there. All lights tripped so i reset that then after a beer and being upset they started to work again, not sure why they stopped but were is the fuse for the steeps.
RideAHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 04:46 AM   #20

Picked up our new 2017 32 SA Last Tuesday, step motor failed after 5 day 1300 mile trip.
Called Tiffin this past Monday, they helped to TS. They were not sure if the problem was the module or motor. Tuesday I had the parts by 10 am. Installed the new module no go, exchanged motor fixed problem.
Motor change 15 min,I think I will get a spare.
Otherwise great coach !
Old 06-28-2017, 09:37 AM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideAHD View Post
All lights tripped so i reset that then after a beer and being upset they started to work again, not sure why they stopped but were is the fuse for the steeps.
All I ever found was the circuit breaker. The schematic shows a fuse, but I don't think there is one.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 12:09 PM   #22

Ours step fuses for the 2014 Allegro Red 33AA iis in the bay next to the driver's door.
Old 07-01-2017, 11:29 AM   #23

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Does anyone know where the fuse or circuit breaker is located in a 2014 Allegro Open Road 36LA for the steps? Each model seems to have different locations. I have found power panels in a front basement compartment on Drivers side, In the bedroom, and even a fuse over the house batteries for the power awning. Then again there are fuses under the "hood" and under the dash. I would love to find a circuit diagram for the 36LA.
Old 07-01-2017, 11:39 AM   #24

We are having problems with our steps in the 33AA Allegro Red. I believe the panel in our kitchen inbetween the bathroom and bedroom may have had a flip switch when I checkec yesterday. We tried 2 things yesterday that seemed to have worked, so I can say which one was the one that got things working again, but what we did was run the generator for about 10 min and cleaned the sensors in the door jam. They were little flat disc's on the bottom half of the door jam.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Old 07-02-2017, 07:03 AM   #25

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbhine View Post
We are having problems with our steps in the 33AA Allegro Red. I believe the panel in our kitchen inbetween the bathroom and bedroom may have had a flip switch when I checkec yesterday. We tried 2 things yesterday that seemed to have worked, so I can say which one was the one that got things working again, but what we did was run the generator for about 10 min and cleaned the sensors in the door jam. They were little flat disc's on the bottom half of the door jam.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Nothing like that in a 36LA.

Tags
kwikee