Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-18-2014, 05:46 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachmanrvr View Post
Ordered a Curt 8" hitch extension tonight. I'll follow up with how she does when it arrives.
Good choice. Removing a ladder, or any stanchions, is not as easy as you might think. And, if you ever get the chance to see what's inside the stanchion, you might not use the ladder again .
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2014, 06:04 AM   #16

Entegra Owners Club
I was there when they picked it up with the vacuum lift and glued it on. I live on the edge every time I climb up there

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
Good choice. Removing a ladder, or any stanchions, is not as easy as you might think. And, if you ever get the chance to see what's inside the stanchion, you might not use the ladder again .
coachmanrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 06:15 AM   #17

Quote:
I was there when they picked it up with the vacuum lift and glued it on. I live on the edge every time I climb up there
Yup ... I stay as vertical as possible when climbing. When I see people with their arms fully extended horizontally I am usually ready to dial 911. That said, I actually use the ladder a lot. I'm a roof/AC/antenna/solar panel/vent inspection freak. When I'm standing on the roof in the storage facility and look around at other RV roofs, I appear to be an exception
Old 03-18-2014, 06:56 AM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJB View Post
It is hindsight for me now but I almost wish I would have ordered my 36LA without the ladder just for a cleaner look. The only time I ever go on the roof is to clean it in my driveway and I have two ladders at home that would give me that access.
I hate the location of the shower skylight in relation to the ladder. I'm not as nimble as i used to be and the ladder position pretty much guarantees that I won't be on roof very often, if at all.

So far, that's my biggest complaint on the 36LA. The driver cupholder is the other one I have.
tanstaafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 07:05 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanstaafl View Post
I hate the location of the shower skylight in relation to the ladder. I'm not as nimble as i used to be and the ladder position pretty much guarantees that I won't be on roof very often, if at all.

So far, that's my biggest complaint on the 36LA. The driver cupholder is the other one I have.
That's an enviable list of things that "aren't quite right".
Old 03-18-2014, 07:38 AM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post

That's an enviable list of things that "aren't quite right".
We're quite pleased with this one, especially compared to our last RV.
tanstaafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 11:28 AM   #21

Entegra Owners Club
We love our 35QBA...just wish stuff would stop breaking all the time. I guess I'd have better luck with that if we'd leave it parked every once and a while. Near 30K now.
Old 03-18-2014, 01:35 PM   #22

I would NOT cut the ladder. The ladder with extension is shakey enough when installed properly. Without the "wrap around" to the body on the bottom, I would be afraid to stand on it. (I weigh around 180 and am not afraid of heights).
Old 03-18-2014, 01:51 PM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Ordered a Curt 8" hitch extension tonight. I'll follow up with how she does when it arrives.

Good choice, if 8 " is not enough you can find longer, E Trailer, Curt, Reese, Amazon, or any decent hitch installer can fab it.

I assume the bottom of your ladder turns in to the rear cap, if so that is part of your load bearing.
Old 03-18-2014, 07:16 PM   #24

Entegra Owners Club
It actually does not. It just ends with a step. There is a stand off brace near the bottom, but the bottom doesn't turn in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockx View Post
Good choice, if 8 " is not enough you can find longer, E Trailer, Curt, Reese, Amazon, or any decent hitch installer can fab it.

I assume the bottom of your ladder turns in to the rear cap, if so that is part of your load bearing.
Old 03-19-2014, 01:51 AM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
It actually does not. It just ends with a step. There is a stand off brace near the bottom, but the bottom doesn't turn in.
If you find you still wish to shorten your ladder this company RV Ladder Repair Parts - Factory RV Surplus has everything you need to do it right. Your ladder not turning back in at the bottom makes it very easy.

They sell tubing made to fit inside the ladder tubes, this allows cutting out a section (usually a damaged area) and grafting in a new pieces. Buy a "stubby" tube cutter don't try to saw the tubes the Rigid stubby is about $10.

With about $20 worth of parts you could put your ladder back to stock appearance if you ever decided to do so.

The hitch ball extender should hopefully solve your problem though.
Old 04-09-2014, 06:11 PM   #26

Entegra Owners Club
Back from our first outing after using the 8" extension. Works great avoiding the ladder, but drug my trailer jack....I'll have to take it off when we tow. Three bolts is not too bad.