Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-16-2014, 04:20 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Ladder Question

I tow a 6 x 12 Vnose trailer quite a bit with our motorhome. Making right hand turns are very restricted with the ladder on the right side. (I actually have a nice hole in the diamond plate on the front of my trailer due to one of the steps) My question is, can I cut the ladder where I've shown the red lines in the pic and get one of those ladders that hang on the bottom rung and have standoffs?
Would that change the weight capacity?

I've seen them stock on some motorhomes where the ladder doesn't go all the way to the ground. It comes with a hang on ladder to reach the lower.
coachmanrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2014, 04:24 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
This Bus ladder would need a similar extension that I'm thinking about.

Old 03-16-2014, 04:45 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Why not just take it off entirely and carry a telescoping ladder in the basement or trailer?
Old 03-16-2014, 05:01 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
That's option #2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver View Post
Why not just take it off entirely and carry a telescoping ladder in the basement or trailer?
Old 03-16-2014, 08:26 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The 2 Phaetons I looked at this weekend had the same ladder....can just imagine what a new ladder setup from the factory would cost
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 08:31 PM   #6
KIX

Consider making the trailer tongue longer. Not only will it allow you to make tighter right turns but backing the trailer will be easier too. A welding shop that installs trailer hitches will be familiar with this mod.
If you're stuck on cutting your existing ladder and using the extension you described you can probably find the extension at a motorhome salvage yard.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 08:38 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
My RED 38QBA has that extension, but I have the same 3 mounting points on the back of my coach as that Bus. I think that would be necessary & you probably would have to replace the entire ladder setup, or at lease have yours reworked to match.
Old 03-17-2014, 12:39 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Extension draw bar to set the trailer back further and alleviate the problem without modifying the ladder?
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 07:30 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Our 2004 Open Road came from Tiffin with a hinge in the ladder, located about half way up. Lower half folds over upper half, and is secured with a pin. Lower half of ladder has stand offs incorporated into it. Were it me, I believe I would go with your option #2, remove present ladder and just carry a telescoping one elsewhere.
Old 03-17-2014, 07:31 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
Extension draw bar to set the trailer back further and alleviate the problem without modifying the ladder?
The extension is normal setup for people with a bike lift on the back of mh. Works like a champ and definitely eliminates the turning issue. However you have to be aware of tongue weight calculations.
Old 03-17-2014, 08:04 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to TurtleKent
Quote:
Originally Posted by coachmanrvr View Post
I tow a 6 x 12 Vnose trailer quite a bit with our motorhome. Making right hand turns are very restricted with the ladder on the right side. (I actually have a nice hole in the diamond plate on the front of my trailer due to one of the steps) My question is, can I cut the ladder where I've shown the red lines in the pic and get one of those ladders that hang on the bottom rung and have standoffs?
Would that change the weight capacity?

I've seen them stock on some motorhomes where the ladder doesn't go all the way to the ground. It comes with a hang on ladder to reach the lower.
My first choice would be to extend the tongue. I think any ladder cutting would look like a butcher job.

That said, if you're going to cut, I would leave intact the step below your markings, and cut it 2" below that. Most of the load would be strictly vertical, and should not be a problem. You could just buy a folding/collapsable ladder to access the upper ladder.

Or, replace it with a new 1/2 ladder, and sell your old one. Plenty of demand... the dumpsters at LazyDays are full of old busted up ladders.
Old 03-17-2014, 10:24 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I manufactured an extended ball hitch to fit in my 2 inch receiver hitch on my pickup. It sticks out about 3 feet. I have a mount for my winch that fits between the ball and the receiver hitch. I was a bit worried whether or not this could take the load pulling a trailer. I have used it pulling my 18 foot trailer with my 55 hp tractor with cab, loader and 5 ft brushhog on it and have not had any problems yet. If you decide to move the trailer back I would look at that option rather than modifying the trailer tongue.

I also agree with the faction that recommends taking the ladder off and carrying one.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 09:20 PM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Ordered a Curt 8" hitch extension tonight. I'll follow up with how she does when it arrives.
Old 03-18-2014, 05:20 AM   #14
KJB

It is hindsight for me now but I almost wish I would have ordered my 36LA without the ladder just for a cleaner look. The only time I ever go on the roof is to clean it in my driveway and I have two ladders at home that would give me that access.
KJB is offline   Reply With Quote