Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2014, 05:44 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Leak in Zephyr

Our neighbor behind us here in the park is having a problem with a leak in her electronic compartment below the driver side window. This is a 2010 Zephyr. We had discovered about two inches if not more in the floor of the compartment after a rain storm. The body of the coach and the compartment doors are all flush at that point and when opening the compartment door the seals at the top feel dry. I thought maybe from the sill of the driver window but that area is dry. Any idea where the water could be entering from???
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2014, 06:11 AM   #2

See the aluminum channel and trim piece just above the door that spans from the front fiberglass nose back to the slide room edge? Use clear silicone and apply a thin bead on both the top and bottom of that channel AND most importantly, look inside the back edge of that molding where it terminates at the slide room. There should be a small metal tab that is bent over to prevent dirt from getting into that channel. Whether it has the tab or not covering the end, use silicone to seal that end.
Old 01-25-2014, 06:31 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
I suggest calling Tiffin and asking for advice. I have had very few problems with my Zephyr and Tiffin service has talked me through the problem. Could be as simple as a clogged gutter. Let us know what you find out about the leak.
kewag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 06:54 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Is it leaking while sitting or leaking when driving in the rain? Leaking while sitting seems unlikely to me but a shot of spray foam on all wire entrances to that compartment would most likely seal it off. If it is leaking while driving, the front tire throws up a tremendous amount of spray and even a small opening can cause a leak. Again, spray foam around the seams of entire compartment would probably fix it.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 04:50 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
For post #2 I don't see the aluminum trim your mentioning but any trim on the body above that bay is all caulked back to the slide out.

For post #4 it's leaking while sitting.

For post #3 I may have to call Tiffin myself as my neighbors husband is gone for a work assignment for a couple months and I'm sure they wouldn't be able to understand his wife with her very heavy French accent.

I'll give it a shot on Monday and see what they might help me to look for.
Old 01-25-2014, 05:05 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve N Sal View Post
For post #2 I don't see the aluminum trim your mentioning but any trim on the body above that bay is all caulked back to the slide out.

For post #4 it's leaking while sitting.

For post #3 I may have to call Tiffin myself as my neighbors husband is gone for a work assignment for a couple months and I'm sure they wouldn't be able to understand his wife with her very heavy French accent.

I'll give it a shot on Monday and see what they might help me to look for.
Just as a suggestion you might try Don Boyd, (800) 283-3922 Ext 3290, at Tiffin.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 04:08 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post
Just as a suggestion you might try Don Boyd, (800) 283-3922 Ext 3290, at Tiffin.
Who is Don Boyd @ Tiffin?
Old 01-26-2014, 06:02 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw188 View Post
Who is Don Boyd @ Tiffin?
A Tiffin know it all....said in a good way.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 06:11 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Good maybe he can explain the different model names and letter designations?
Old 01-29-2014, 04:56 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just an update, well I guess it's all fixed now. Went back to dry out the compartment and when I opened the bay door, found that "someone" drilled a hole in the floor of the compartment. Yup, I guess that's the fix for everything there. I'll leave well enough alone.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:38 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
That will drain the compartment but if the coach is driven in the rain, that hole will probably be a big leak spot from the front wheel spray.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 08:47 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post
That will drain the compartment but if the coach is driven in the rain, that hole will probably be a big leak spot from the front wheel spray.
I agree totally with that but when investigating this whole dilema, I thought it was about trying to figure out WHY or HOW the water was getting in there. I guess as I said I'll back away and let them figure that out but on the other hand if they ask for anymore help I'm just going to shrug my shoulders. This is not the first leak problem with this coach. It was to Red Bay last Fall and had various things regarding leaks fixed. It amazes me for something that cost that much money in the first place how can it have all these problems???????? JMHO!
Old 02-19-2014, 03:36 AM   #13
Retired Senior Member

Saw a Monaco Signature with similar problem. Turned out the window directly above that compartment was the source of the leak....
RonNBama is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak