Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2017, 07:33 AM   #1

LED Patio Lighting

I have a Phaeton 40QTH and was wondering if anyone has installed LED lighting on the passenger galley slide? I want LED lighting under the awning but prefer them installed to the body and not the awning as it's automatic. I'd hate to have the awning roll up while it's connected.

So, I'd like to attach them to the slideout just under that slideout awning. Any ideas on how to wire that permanently? I know there's an electric plug inside the cabinet for the microwave, but I'm a bit scared to drill a hole in the end to feed the wire inside. I'd like to have some sort of permanent installation.

FYI, I hate the light that's on the slideout.
2006 Jeep Commander
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2017, 07:38 AM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I am a bit bolder than you.> no problem drilling through the body and then seal the wires in place.. I usually use GOOP as the sealant by the way but Dicore makes some nice products that are easier to remove.

I use 12 volt LED's in your case I'd waterproof them somehow. and hook to the 12 volt side of life not to the 120.. I mean why convert if you have already converted.

Radio Shack used to sell a waterproof/weathrproof strip of LED's but it was only about 3.x feet long (1 meter as I recall) and 30 bucks.. I get non-weather proof for less than 10 bucks in the 5 meter (about 16') length at Amazon and use them to repalce florcesents inside the RV.. Great product.

NOTE: Not recommending either. but hey.. I'm happy with 'em (OK the AMazon ones are good for indoor use)

You might try tying them into the patio light already ON the RV (the porch light).
Old 10-16-2017, 07:45 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
This is what is on my Allegro. Multi colored, strobe, fade, flash, etc. Remote controlled, 12vdc. Outdoor approved. attached along the inside of the basement doors and along the basement frame at the bottom of the doors. Can be found on Amazon. Had them set on blue in honor of all our Police.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20160723_21_30_55_Pro.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	180007  
flywithcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 08:12 AM   #4

I've had good luck with the Amazon lights on another coach. Where did you pull the 12v from? I know if I route through the slideout into the interior I'm right in the cabinets where the microwave is, but I'm not sure there's any 12v there except for the lights over the kitchen sink (which at that point would have to be on to power them. I thought about the porch light already on the slideout, but would have to reroute wires back to the light since it's in the middle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
I am a bit bolder than you.> no problem drilling through the body and then seal the wires in place.. I usually use GOOP as the sealant by the way but Dicore makes some nice products that are easier to remove.

I use 12 volt LED's in your case I'd waterproof them somehow. and hook to the 12 volt side of life not to the 120.. I mean why convert if you have already converted.

Radio Shack used to sell a waterproof/weathrproof strip of LED's but it was only about 3.x feet long (1 meter as I recall) and 30 bucks.. I get non-weather proof for less than 10 bucks in the 5 meter (about 16') length at Amazon and use them to repalce florcesents inside the RV.. Great product.

NOTE: Not recommending either. but hey.. I'm happy with 'em (OK the AMazon ones are good for indoor use)

You might try tying them into the patio light already ON the RV (the porch light).
2006 Jeep Commander
Old 10-16-2017, 11:23 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Don't you have basement lights? They are 12vdc.
flywithcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 11:52 AM   #6
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by topdownman View Post
I have a Phaeton 40QTH and was wondering if anyone has installed LED lighting on the passenger galley slide? I want LED lighting under the awning but prefer them installed to the body and not the awning as it's automatic. I'd hate to have the awning roll up while it's connected.

So, I'd like to attach them to the slideout just under that slideout awning. Any ideas on how to wire that permanently? I know there's an electric plug inside the cabinet for the microwave, but I'm a bit scared to drill a hole in the end to feed the wire inside. I'd like to have some sort of permanent installation.

FYI, I hate the light that's on the slideout.
Here's how I mounted the LEDs on my Allegro RED. There is a 3/4x3/4" aluminum angle attached to the wall of the slide with the LEDs on the underside pointing down. Both are attached with high strength outdoor butyl rubber mounting tape. I did have to hold my breath and drill one 1/4" hole in the wall, but sealed it very well with silicone after the wire was routed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Allegro-RED-Lighting.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	180034  
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 11:59 AM   #7

Take a look at Supernight's ..........google 12 volt waterproof LED flexible light strips......and if you keep searching, you can find an RF controller, ready made extension cords and much more.......there is also an aluminum track made, with snap in clear cover that one can attach up under where the awning mounts to rv.....these light strips come in 16' lengths, and can be cut with scissors for your requirements...and you can use the cut off piece somewhere else as both ends have a connector....and, they're thin enough to be able to stick one under the awning out at the roller end and can be rolled up in place without harming awning.......wiring is pretty small in dia.....I do unplug the one on the roller tho, at the roller.....be aware that these light have a 3M sticky tape on the back, some strings more so then others, that's why the aluminum track comes into play.....the lens holds the strip in place as you just slide 'em in....
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 04:12 AM   #8

That looks great! How did you power them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
Here's how I mounted the LEDs on my Allegro RED. There is a 3/4x3/4" aluminum angle attached to the wall of the slide with the LEDs on the underside pointing down. Both are attached with high strength outdoor butyl rubber mounting tape. I did have to hold my breath and drill one 1/4" hole in the wall, but sealed it very well with silicone after the wire was routed.
2006 Jeep Commander
Old 10-17-2017, 09:12 AM   #9
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by topdownman View Post
That looks great! How did you power them?
The four conductor wire goes through the wall into an inside cabinet. The RF controller is inside the cabinet and tied directly into the 12v coach reading light on the underside of the cabinet.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led, light