RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-18-2015, 07:50 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Level Jack Problem

So I just bought my 2016 RED 38QBA...got to the campground, the ground is level, despite being an all grass slot. I followed the directions given to me during the walk around on leveling the coach, but when I push the button to auto level, I get a loud buzzing and a red light on the dash and the leveling quits. I can't find out why the alarm went off because I can't find info on the jack system in my mountain of manual readings

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2015, 08:14 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
You didn't provide the make or model of the leveling system. You mentioned auto leveling, so I'm guessing HWH. This link takes you to the page that helps identify which model you have and the proper manual and troubleshooting guide.

HWH Service Manuals

You don't know what the red light is for?? On the HWH panel I see lights for not in park or parking brake and excess slope, which you said isn't your issue.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 08:23 PM   #3

I don't have a RED, but my coach won't level unless the emergengy brake is on. Just a thought. Good luck
BillL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 08:35 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
I agree with what Bill said. The flashing red light and buzzer usually mean that the parking brake isn't set. The leveler will not work unless the parking brake is set.
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 10:46 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
X3 with what Bill and Mel said. Make sure parking brake is set.
Old 09-19-2015, 03:05 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
It is set. Just so we're clear, the parking brake is the square yellow button you pull out to set the brake?
Old 09-19-2015, 03:11 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Do you have the engine running when you try to level? You will get all kinds of warnings if you try to deploy the levelers with the engine running.

And yes, the parking brake is the yellow diamond shaped button, pull it out to set the brake.

I have a '15 RED and the procedure I have been doing is turn the ignition off and switch to accessory. When you press the auto level button the air should dump from the air bag, followed by the jacks leveling the coach. After you have it leveled, then you are supposed to turn the ignition back on, start the engine and deploy the slides. There will be a constant dinging while the engine is running warning you that the jacks are down, but that's something you have to put up with. I guess the air suspension is disabled by the leveling system because it does not try to air the suspension back up with the engine running.

Here is a link to the 2016 RED Owner's Manual. Check out page 98 for instructions. I notice it does not say turn the key to accessory to level, which I have been doing for months and it works fine on accessory. I was told on my walk through to turn the key to accessory which is what I have done.
http://www.tiffinmotorhomes.com/pdfs...ers_Manual.pdf

The instructions for extending the slides is on page 68.
'12 Jeep JK Wrangler Sport or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 08:18 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks Lt Dan!!! I did have the engine on while attempting to level because I was going to deploy my slides immediately afterwards. The dealer didn't mention to have the engine off to level...hmmmmm! We're getting ready to move campgrounds so I will attempt again tomorrow!! Thanks for the help everyone!
Old 09-19-2015, 10:05 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
You are welcome. That's easy to think that is the right way because it's logical. That's the way I used to level my Itasca on a Workhorse chassis. I would leave the engine running while leveling, then deploying the slides.

Some say you don't have to start the engine to deploy the slides, just have the shore power connected but the book says have the engine running. Either way, the key has to be on for the slides to work and you'll get the warning dinging anyway.

Let us know how things work out.
'12 Jeep JK Wrangler Sport or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 05:36 AM   #10
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerLover80 View Post
...I can't find out why the alarm went off because I can't find info on the jack system in my mountain of manual readings
There should be a sheet somewhere in your coach (probably attached to the inside of a cupboard door) that tells you the model number and serial number of every appliance and auxiliary system that you have. When you find the model number of your levelers, assuming they are HWH, you can go to the HWH website and download the operation manual.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 05:24 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
You can leave the engine running on your Tiffin. The one thing you really need to learn to do every time is put the transmission in neutral followed by the emergency brake. Get in that habbit as you need to do it every time you stop - for any reason.

So, you can pull into a site, shift into neutral, set the brake, and push the level button. When leveling is done, you can put out your slides and turn off the engine. You can also do it other ways as well. Engine off, plugged into 50 amp, levelers down, slides out. You will have to put your engine key in accessory (for levelers) and start (for slides) but you don't have to leave the big beast running.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 07:06 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerLover80 View Post
...when I push the button to auto level, I get a loud buzzing and a red light on the dash and the leveling quits. I can't find out why the alarm went off because I can't find info on the jack system in my mountain of manual readings
I have a gas 34TGA but with HWH jacks. For me the red light and alarm serve the same purpose ... telling me my jacks are down. The buzzing is the hydraulic pump pushing the fluid to extend the jacks. If the buzzing stops, the red light is on, and the alarm is blaring ... your jacks are probably down!. If you were level to start with they probably touched down and that was all they needed to do. If you are very level to start with, sometimes you can't even feel this process. I do find in these cases that the jacks may not lift enough weight off the tires and the motorhome will wobble as we move around in it. If so, I tap the "manual level" buttons to drop each jack down another half inch or so.

On the HWH control panel are any other lights on? There are different panels, but mine has a light that says I forgot to put the motorhome in Park. There are red lights to indicate which jacks are extended. Also "white" lights that indicate what end or side of the motorhome is low. There is also one for "Travel Mode" that says the system thinks everything is up and ready to go ... I still do a visual inspection before I move! Finally, I have the dreaded "excess slope" light that means it is time to get out the tire and jack blocks!

2014 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
gorwig is offline   Reply With Quote