Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-03-2018, 03:33 PM   #1

Leveling our coach

Newby here, we are parked in a UN-level driveway and in order to level the coach the right rear tire must be off the ground about 2"-3", is that OK or not.
hbob1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2018, 04:14 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
When you lift a rear tire, you're lifting your parking brake axle off the ground. I'd run those tires onto blocks of wood to make sure when the jacks are used the tires still have contact with the ground. Also be sure to chock the front wheels. If you're only lifting one corner, you could be twisting the frame, which can cause serious problems, including popping the windshield out of its frame. Be careful.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 04:15 PM   #3

The general answer based on various opinions, etc. on that is going to be an overwhelming "no, it's not alright".

Starting with answer #1 "that's where your parking brake is".

"You will damage your suspension / air bags" will be #2

The solution being use some sort of leveling blocks / wood under the wheels (both wheels on each side in the rear) and in addition put blocks under your jacks won't have to extend as far and have a more stable platform.

I don't even let my front tires dangle, although a lot of people do.

It also may be wise to chock the tires that are firmly on the ground before you level too.

Mr. Flinn beat to the submit button, so I'll also second his frame twisting concern too.

Regards
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 04:32 PM   #4

Thank You Both we will just put up with it being off level and keep all four on the ground.
hbob1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 05:05 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbob1957 View Post
Thank You Both we will just put up with it being off level and keep all four on the ground.
It's a shame, you pay for levelers and get talked out of using them.

The frame is probably sitting twisted now. Leveling will straighten it out.

Your leveler feet, supporting all of the weight, except the axle, don't have wheels, why would you need brakes. Are the tires going to roll away ?
The chocks in front of the tires don't slide, why would the leveler feet, unless your on the side of a mountain.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 05:27 PM   #6

In the Tiffin owner's Manual there is a caution (not a warning) that reads "DO NOT LIFT the wheels of the motor home off the ground when leveling—if done, the motor home can tilt forwards or backwards when supported only by the leveling jacks"

I think the tilting risk is from soft ground that may let the jacks sink in. That being said, If the ground is stable I will use the auto level feature. If the wheels are off the ground, so be it. I've never had any issues.

The owners manual also has a warning (not a caution) that says that you should not extend the slides until the coach is level. Once leveled the frame is straight. So do you risk a little tilting or do you risk binding up the slides while there is stress on the frame?

M8tor

M8tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 05:28 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
It's a shame, you pay for levelers and get talked out of using them.

The frame is probably sitting twisted now. Leveling will straighten it out.

Your leveler feet, supporting all of the weight, except the axle, don't have wheels, why would you need brakes. Are the tires going to roll away ?
The chocks in front of the tires don't slide, why would the leveler feet, unless your on the side of a mountain.
I agree with twinboat. As long as your levelers can level the coach, the frame is NOT twisted, it's level. If you run out of leveler you will get a twist, but this can be eliminated by putting a couple of 2x8's under the jack that's bottomed out. Unless you're talking about a 6 point quake on the Richter scale, 4 jacks on the ground is sure better than locking the 2 rear wheels.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 07:28 AM   #8

First, to the OP, I hope you have not deployed your slides without the coach being level......

Think about this with regards to lifting the rear tires off the ground......

When auto leveling (at least on my coach) the the jacks start going down at the lowest corner, around the coach until it's level.

In the case of a low rear, that means the rear jacks go down first. If you are on a slope, in a situation where the rear is very low and you will have a period of time when the front is still on the tires, not on the jacks, that is the time that nothing is keeping the coach from rolling back except the friction point of the jack pad with the ground.

And, jacks are built to support a vertical load, not a horizontal load. And, the longer the jack is extended the more suspectabe it is to horizontal forces.

If you have nothing holding the coach from rolling from the time the rear jacks are extended until the front jacks are down, and if the front tires want to roll, the coach could start extorting a horizontal force on the rear jacks, which could cause them to bend or break. The pad won't move, but think about the forces between the pad and the top of the jack. Of course, this is dependent to some degree of the slope the front tires are sitting, but in any case, chocking the front tires would greatly alleviate this situation.

I will also note, that the rear tires do not necessarily need to be compeletlynoff the ground. If there is virtually no weight on the rear tires, the tires may very well "skid".

As for twisting the coach, I do my best to avoid it as much as possible....... If the coach is already twisted when parked, then I agree leveling will undo the twist, but the question becomes is leveling puttng more strain / movement on the chassis than "driving" it out of the twist where the suspension takes up some of the movement? Not sure if the answer to that one, and it's probably situational.
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 07:52 AM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I am not sure what leveling system you have but look up the manual leveling procedures. I never use auto level anymore. Manual is so easy and usually much more accurate. Congrats on the new rig, now you can take your stuff with you as George Carlin probably would have said.
brucev is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leveling