Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-22-2018, 03:35 PM   #1

Leveling Question

We have a 2015 36LA. We auto level before slides go out. We check with a level on the countertop and dinette table and coach is level front to back and side to side. We then let out the 2 slides and check level again. The coach is always out of level side to side (lower on the side with slides) and still level front to back. We have been manually leveling in small increments with the slides out until we are again level side to side. It occurred to me that this manual leveling with the slides out might be harmful. Does anyone know if this is harmful or have any suggestions? I thought that we might manually raise the slide side after auto leveling and then put out the slides, but no guaranty that you would have raised it too much or not enough.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2018, 03:38 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Shouldn't be a problem, I do the same although I only have air leveling.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 03:41 PM   #3

Suggest you change the level set point after slides are out. This way the next time you level the drop will already have been taken into consideration.
Old 03-22-2018, 03:44 PM   #4

Why not hit auto level again ?
Old 03-22-2018, 03:58 PM   #5

I don't know why, but my manual says to put the slide out first before leveling.
The auto level on ours doesn't seem to work as well as me doing it manually. Close but not cigar, and it might on auto, max out on extension, which leaves some wheels off the ground. So lately I just do it manually.
Any thoughts on why they say to put slides out first. I only have 1 long slide.
edge68474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 04:20 PM   #6

just a thought, but you might put some plastic or wood blocks under the jacks so you that your not using so much hydraulic fluid. ck fluid before you level and see how much fluid your using. your hydraulic tank might not be full. Dave
Old 03-22-2018, 05:20 PM   #7

When you auto level are all jacks planted? If so how could it no longer be level unless the jacks dig into the ground?

I also have gone to manual leveling over auto. Too often auto lifts tires off ground.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 05:31 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by edge68474 View Post
Any thoughts on why they say to put slides out first. I only have 1 long slide.
Monaco Corporation and Prevost built coaches are the only manufacturers I am familiar with that say to extend slides first then level. All other manufacturers suggest leveling first and then extend slides. Since both are built on proprietary chassis it must have something to deal with designed in chassis flex while leveling.
Old 03-22-2018, 09:51 PM   #9
ADA

Winnebago Owners Club
I have not verified this with any vendors, but believe it makes good engineering sense. I use this thinking when deciding whether to level first or extend slides first.

Assumptions: The slides are aligned while the coach is in the factory and on level ground with jacks up. They are adjusted to have even gaps on both sides and to close tightly around the seals both while stored and extended.

Issues: Slides have problems when the chassis is torqued (twisted lengthwise like a licorice stick). In this case, the slide mechanisms will bind, increasing friction and stress, and overloading the motors. Over time this may result in a permanent misalignment, slowed operation, and motor failure.

Causes: Twisting occurs when the wheels are on uneven ground. A frequent twisting example is when parked, one wheel is substantially lower or higher than the others. Even worse twisting occurs when the right front wheel is lower than the left, and the left rear wheel is lower than the right (or visa versa). Twisting also occurs when the jacks cannot reach fully level in one or more corners due to the limited jack post length.

Conclusions:

1. If the coach is parked on a level slab, and therefore not twisted, it doesn't matter whether you level first or extend first. Leveling will be minimal and only enough to stabilize the chassis and will not result in a twist.

2. If you are parked with a twist on uneven ground, you should level first to remove the twist and then extend. If the ground is so uneven or so sloped that level cannot be achieved, then you need to add blocks under the appropriate jacks until a level can be achieved and then extend, or find another more level site.

My HWH jacking system will turn on a red light warning of "excessive slope". In that case one, of the jacks is not even deployed. This is a good warning of probable chassis twisting. Another way to check for twisting is to observe the gaps on both ends of the slide as you extend them from inside the coach. If they are abnormally unequal, you need to level before extending.

I am aware that a diesel chassis is designed and beefed up to minimize twisting, but have observed enough when leveling to be an issue. nevertheless.
Old 03-22-2018, 10:09 PM   #10
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRosado View Post
We have a 2015 36LA. We auto level before slides go out. We check with a level on the countertop and dinette table and coach is level front to back and side to side. We then let out the 2 slides and check level again. The coach is always out of level side to side (lower on the side with slides) and still level front to back. We have been manually leveling in small increments with the slides out until we are again level side to side. It occurred to me that this manual leveling with the slides out might be harmful. Does anyone know if this is harmful or have any suggestions? I thought that we might manually raise the slide side after auto leveling and then put out the slides, but no guaranty that you would have raised it too much or not enough.
If you look at your slides, they sit at a different angle when they are in versus when they are out since they come up and in. If you want a more accurate indication of level, use the floor as your leveling point not anything mounted in the slides. After leveling, I disregard the slides and use the bathroom door as a guide. Open it partially and If it doesn't swing one way or the other then the coach is pretty level.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 07:48 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I sometimes do a auto level after extending the slides in my 36LA. Since the slides are only on the Driver side the center of gravity changes when the slides are extended. I do not think it is critical to re-level but it gives me piece of mind especially if I am not parked on a solid surface like concrete or asphalt. I always use blocks under the jack pads.
flywithcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 09:10 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
On our Phaeton we don't get any appreciable change in level after putting out the slides. Unless - on soft ground - slides out can shift the weight and create leverage. If on soft ground I put the lighter and smaller of the two main slides out first - seems a good best practice.

All this said, I try to not be too picky about exactly how level we are. Close enough counts.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 09:23 AM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lllkrob View Post
Monaco Corporation and Prevost built coaches are the only manufacturers I am familiar with that say to extend slides first then level. All other manufacturers suggest leveling first and then extend slides. Since both are built on proprietary chassis it must have something to deal with designed in chassis flex while leveling.
Some Newmar's on some type slides say to extend then level.
My CC has the proprietary CC built DynoMax chassis and air leveling only. Instructions are to level then deploy slides.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 01:50 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter M View Post
Why not hit auto level again ?
It jerks too much with the slides out if you try to auto level again. When I do it manually I do it in small increments and it is smoother.

Tags
leveling