RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-07-2013, 03:53 PM   #1

Looking at a 2007 phaeton 40'

We are looking at an 07 phaeton is there any know issues to look out for ? Thanks in advance

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2013, 01:58 AM   #2

Need to look at the wet bay to see if it sound the wood may be bad or it may have a plastic liner. Check the front DS slide some had water leaks. Check roof rails for cracks. If any of these are bad, may be able to fix even out of warranty. Tiffin is good about that part but you may have to take it back to Red Bay, AL Check all service records and check the radiator for signs of leaks.
2 stroker

2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 08:42 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Steve I have just noticed the the Right rear- aft of the rear wheel has a sag of about 3/4". My 07 40QDH with 48,080.7 miles - I noticed this by as the tires were being installed. Due to the molding that runs just above the lower bay doors.
Also look at the tire MFG date mine just went seven years old as we purchased the coach Aug. 2006. Cost going thru FMCA was $4500.00 which included the labor for mounting.

Jroan
jroan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:46 AM   #4

We have a 2007. We had our wet bay floor replaced at Red Bay a couple months ago at no charge. Everything else was in great shape. But as already mentioned,, wet bay floor, Drivers side slide floor, Roof Rails are the biggest issues. Take a look on the passenger slide to see if the cabinets are sagging at all in the middle of the run. If so they can put some pretty good looking supports in. We had that done as well. Oh and foggy windows. We replaced a couple a few months ago.
HDrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 11:19 AM   #5

How is tiffin about repairing that stuff if your not the original owner?
Old 09-08-2013, 11:56 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVE-JUNELL View Post
How is tiffin about repairing that stuff if your not the original owner?
Bob Tiffins is great about that stuff the big thing (road trip) to Red Bay, AL and the wait to get in, may be 4 to 6 weeks I have been told
You could get the vin# and give them a call to see if any of the problems have been looked at and fixed.
I joined A Part of the TiffinRVNetwork • Login when I was looking for a Tiffin, lot of good info over there.
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 06:47 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Right now things are moving along in Red Bay. However Oct is a tough time because of all the snowbirds stopping on their way south. There are other places authorized to do slide and wet bay issues. Roof rails are in Red Bay so I understand. 2007 was a good year with very few of the issues cropping up. Just take a close look but I would not pass it up unless you actually see the problems. Roof rails are tiny little cracks that look like paint scratches until you push it on the side. DS big slide floor check is to take a screwdriver and poke under the end closest to the driver. The wet bay check is to look below for sagging and the push on it. If it passes those tests you are pretty well good to go if you make sure everything works as it should.
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 05:39 PM   #8

When we went to Red Bay in June we had our wet bay floor replaced and a few minor adjustments and were only there a week.
HDrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 06:53 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
For the wet bay issue, it's really easy to tell, just look at the floor under the coach in front of the rear wheels (where the holding tanks are). If the floor is drooping or soft anywhere, you need to have the floor replaced. From what I've read, it doesn't sound like it's an 'if' but rather a 'when' (the material they originally used was only coated but not waterproof and eventually moisture gets in and the floor rots. Depending on how you use it, it might not be an issue for many years (e.g. someone who only camps with full hookups so never keeps much liquid in the tanks might not see it for years).

If yours is still looking good, you might still want to see if Tiffin will replace it as they will only pay for the replacement if it's less than 8 years from date of delivery (Unless it was already done (if it was, there should be a rubber membrane that wraps around all the sides in the compartment with your water connections (not just flat floor with sealant along the edges)))
michelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 07:21 AM   #10

We bought a 2007 Phaeton in 2009. Had a slide problem on the way home and took it to Red Bay a few months later.
Service was GREAT! There were many motorhomes there and quite a few ahead of us. The next morning VERY early there was a knock at our door. (Guess some did not show on time for their appointments.) and they got us right in!
isayfoghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 05:50 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
How do I do this check?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melmoses View Post
... DS big slide floor check is to take a screwdriver and poke under the end closest to the driver. ...
What am I supposed to feel with the screwdriver? Do I do this outside of the MH with the slide out?

I'm inspecting an 05 Phaeton 40QDH this week and have a nice list of common items to check, and I want to add this to the list.

ProjectPro is offline   Reply With Quote