RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-27-2019, 09:53 AM   #1

Looking at a 2020 40IP bus to replace my current DS

[moderator edit]

i'm looking at a 2020 40IP bus to replace my current DS....also looking at the 2020 DS 4020...going to FL tomorrow to drive and study both in person, side by side...

the 40' bus comes stock with active air (by Valid)....my understanding is that this helps significantly with the handling, and helps overcome the loss of the tag and the extra rubber on the road....the 40' bus has almost the same outside storage as my 43' tag does right now.....the 40' tag coach really suffers there....i'll see about the ride tomorrow.....before the DS, i had a phaeton on the FL chassis....the DS ride was a big improvement, but the bus uses larger tires and has IFS, like the DS (front tires not as large), so it's a bit of an apples to oranges comparison....

so, anyways, i am looking hard at both...i may just keep what i have, but i don't need the bunks anymore, and i'd like to be a bit shorter to fit in more places....

willipaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2019, 06:23 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by willipaul View Post
i'm looking at a 2020 40IP bus to replace my current DS....also looking at the 2020 DS 4020...going to FL tomorrow to drive and study both in person, side by side...

the 40' bus comes stock with active air (by Valid)....my understanding is that this helps significantly with the handling, and helps overcome the loss of the tag and the extra rubber on the road....the 40' bus has almost the same outside storage as my 43' tag does right now.....the 40' tag coach really suffers there....i'll see about the ride tomorrow.....before the DS, i had a phaeton on the FL chassis....the DS ride was a big improvement, but the bus uses larger tires and has IFS, like the DS (front tires not as large), so it's a bit of an apples to oranges comparison....

so, anyways, i am looking hard at both...i may just keep what i have, but i don't need the bunks anymore, and i'd like to be a bit shorter to fit in more places....
Willpaul, I look forward to your shootout impression of the coach's driveability.
The turning radius will be interesting between the Bus and DS. Noise levels going down the road and cranking all a/c units when parked.
Use the DB meter app for your phone to compare.
I am interested in the 4081 DS with the retractable counter.

Old 10-28-2019, 10:34 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter M View Post
Willpaul, I look forward to your shootout impression of the coach's driveability.
The turning radius will be interesting between the Bus and DS. Noise levels going down the road and cranking all a/c units when parked.
Use the DB meter app for your phone to compare.
I am interested in the 4081 DS with the retractable counter.
not to further hijack this thread, but i was very impressed with the bus....the active air makes a big difference....ride was great, as was handling, and turning radius better...but not by alot....

as far as ride noise, very quiet...on par with DS....AC is a little louder, but not much...with the new DS ceiling design, and only two A/C's on the 40 footer, it was just about as loud as the 3 units on the bus....i did not use a decibel meter on my phone....i think the new contemporary ceiling design makes a big difference....the way the registers are now laid out, and that the are wood down the center....it definitely was quieter than my 2016 phaeton.....

the captains chairs in the bus blow away the DS in the comfort dept. but no power leg rest on the driver chair....a shame...the electronics in the bus blow away the dutch star...two 10" screens...the spyder controls, and i like the power glide digital dash better than the spartan one....it is much bigger, and better laid out, IMHO....

between the 4020/4081 and the 40IP, slides open, there is a little more than 5" of width between the two couches....and it's interesting you bring up the 4081...the 4020 is out for me, now that i need the storage, both inside and out....if i stay with the DS, it will be a 4081 with two couches....i really wanted the dinette on the door side, but i can't do it in a DS...the bus will give me that, however....but it's not a deal breaker....i loved the 4081....and the outside storage in the 40IP bus is almost the same as my 43' DS now...they did a great job there...and the no step up into the master bathroom is great....but they are having some trouble with the floor getting hot back there, and they are changing the insulation design..not sure if it's made it into production yet...

i love the DS, but the bus is giving it a run for it's money....i don't know what i am going to do, still trying to figure it all out.....but one thing is for sure, i am glad i went down there and saw them both.....was a very productive fact finding mission....
Old 10-29-2019, 09:06 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks Willipaul for the write up. Both are great machines, no doubt. I decided to compare specs between both ,the bus and the 4081. What caught me first was the the wheel base on the bus at 276". Thats really good for a single axle as my Freightliner is at 266". 10" has got to make a nice difference in handling,esp. with Active air. Of course it does not have the tag as the 4081, I don't know how that effects the ride. The storage of the bus is awesome for a 40', I'm not sure anything compares. The extra capacity of the holding tanks is also a big plus in my book. I would also think the power ratio of the bus would out perform not carrying a tag,of course you lose the extra braking.
Tough decision.....I wish I was in your position.
Props2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 09:59 AM   #5

May I ask where you went in Fl for a side by side?

Thanks,

Paul
StaRVGazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 02:51 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaRVGazer View Post
May I ask where you went in Fl for a side by side?

Thanks,

Paul
North Trail....

Matt Padella is my rep...I bought my current dutch star from him...
Old 10-29-2019, 02:56 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Props2 View Post
Thanks Willipaul for the write up. Both are great machines, no doubt. I decided to compare specs between both ,the bus and the 4081. What caught me first was the the wheel base on the bus at 276". Thats really good for a single axle as my Freightliner is at 266". 10" has got to make a nice difference in handling,esp. with Active air. Of course it does not have the tag as the 4081, I don't know how that effects the ride. The storage of the bus is awesome for a 40', I'm not sure anything compares. The extra capacity of the holding tanks is also a big plus in my book. I would also think the power ratio of the bus would out perform not carrying a tag,of course you lose the extra braking.
Tough decision.....I wish I was in your position.
before the dutch star, I had a 2016 40QKH....was a great coach for two years...had a few minor issues with it, but overall it was great...the bus definitely rides and handles better.....I think the beefier chassis, the active air, 315 tires all around (is the phaeton on 295's ? I seem to remember that), and the longer wheelbase, are the big contributors...also IFS on the bus must help, as the front end felt better..

on the newmar boards, there is often great debate between the ventana and the dutch star...with tiffin it's between the phaeton and the bus...all are great coaches, in both lines....
Old 10-29-2019, 07:37 PM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
"the captains chairs in the bus blow away the DS in the comfort dept. but no power leg rest on the driver chair....a shame..."

Wonder if Tiffin could do a special order and equip the driver captain chair w/the power leg rest?
Old 12-05-2019, 10:31 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
We are also looking at both a DS 4081 or a Tiffin AB 40IP. A couple of big negatives for me are the lack of cabinet and basement storages well as the 50 gallon fuel tank on the DS. My 42 AB has a 150 gallon tank and I love driving all day without having to stop for fuel. The DS 100 gallon tank with a 450 hp engine will require more frequent fuel stops; that can be a huge factor in areas with limited fuel stops (a lot of more rural and less traveled areas out West).

There are trings in the DS I like better than the 40IP but we travel long distances of the freeway system and worrying about fuel in bad enough with my 64 ft rig with 150 g as l. tank. We usually travel for 4 weeks to 5 months at a time so storage is very important to us...just clothing for 3 seasons is a lot of storage.

We are still looking but have not found the perfect coach yet...so we keep using our 2008 Bus until we do.
Old 12-14-2019, 05:16 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don and Kim View Post
"the captains chairs in the bus blow away the DS in the comfort dept. but no power leg rest on the driver chair....a shame..."

Wonder if Tiffin could do a special order and equip the driver captain chair w/the power leg rest?
Just curious, why one would need a power leg rest on the driver chair, for when parked?
heathtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 05:24 PM   #11
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
So one can put their feet up when the chair is turned around to face the living room.

Our Phaeton has a powered footrest on the co-pilot seat. On a call to Tiffin Service (for something else), I asked about why no power footrest on the pilot seat like on the co-pilot. I was told liability. There's the chance the driver could reach down for a seat adjustment when driving (WHO DOES THAT?!) & hit the footrest button in error. That would be unfortunate if it resulted in an accident.

Lori-
There is great need for a sarcasm font.
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 11:56 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
So one can put their feet up when the chair is turned around to face the living room.

Our Phaeton has a powered footrest on the co-pilot seat. On a call to Tiffin Service (for something else), I asked about why no power footrest on the pilot seat like on the co-pilot. I was told liability. There's the chance the driver could reach down for a seat adjustment when driving (WHO DOES THAT?!) & hit the footrest button in error. That would be unfortunate if it resulted in an accident.

Lori-
I don't believe that liability is the problem, I think it is the cost of the ignition lockout relay, switch, and wiring. That is what Newmar uses and it isn't possible to accidentally put up the driver footrest while driving the coach. I do really like sitting in the driver seat with the footrest up when we have all the kids visiting and they have taken all the other chairs.

tqqest is offline   Reply With Quote